Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

is 40 to 45 too old to get hired at a major?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Btw- just bc SWA doesn't "require" a degree doesn't mean it's not part of the computer program that selects applicants for interviews.

Yes and as per above, they get hired a SWA without it, and I bet they are just as good as the college degree guys.

Bingo-case closed.
You thunk?:laugh:

Last edited:
Yes and as per above, they get hired a SWA without it, and I bet they are just as good as the college degree guys.

You thunk?:laugh:

If what you're saying is true, they would be hired in much larger numbers than just 2-3/year.

If what you're saying is true, they would be hired in much larger numbers than just 2-3/year.
Not sure I agree with your numbers, but you might be right. Can someone confirm these? One of the last reports issued by Kit Darby in 2007, reported SWA hired about 7% non-degreed pilots. So if they hired 200 this year that would work out to about 14. I would also make a guess that that less than 7% of SWA's applicants are non-degreed, so it might even be an advantage to not have a degree.

That's some great logic there yip.
Brilliant.

93% have a degree and you argue that SWA wants you not to have one.
???

I "thunk" too- well said wms. Case closed.

And ps- I survey courses. Download iTunes university and lectures from YouTube.

Learning is learning and it's good for all of us to stay curious and sharp

That's some great logic there yip.
Brilliant.

93% have a degree and you argue that SWA wants you not to have one.

Not if you establish the estimation that probably 95% of the pilots looking for jobs have college degrees. That assumption would support the non-degreed pilot having an advantage at SWA. If someone has better numbers, please chime in.

As far as SWA not wanting you to have a degree is not the point. The point is SWA is smart enough to know it has no bearing on who the person is and upon their success in the cockpit.

Learning is learning and it's good for all of us to stay curious and sharp

Could not agree more, but learning takes place at many more places than college, but I guess that kind of learning doesn't carry much weight with many people. Well except some colleges that give credit for life experiences.

Lay off the juice bro.

Never is tastes too good, and sharing it with my ole squadron mates is what life is all about.

Last edited:
Sharing juice that tastes good?...with your squadron mates?... Is what life's about...??
Ok..,???
Miss the navy eh?
Freaky old man yip

As for the rest. You're making those numbers up, so how can it be argued.
We already gave you numbers -93% hired have degrees. Enough said.

There is intrinsic development as well. A degree doesn't guarantee it so I'm glad SWA considers some who have worked in themselves- but it will be something you'll have to explain- and unless you were developing yourself in some other worthwhile educational way- it's not going to be a good explanation--

Degrees don't fly airplanes- yip- but our job is more than just flying airplanes and I'd rather have educated next to me doing this job. Most non degree pilots I've flown with are a little rough around the edges for me. Not how I'd like us represented. Turns off the business travelers, don't interact well, don't manage and lead as well. They can fly. But so can monkeys. JMO and always exceptions

"Not if you establish the estimation that probably 95% of the pilots looking for jobs have college degrees. That assumption would support the non-degreed pilot having an advantage at SWA. If someone has better numbers, please chime in."

You do realize that the 5% are the top 5% of all non-degreed right? I really don't see how that gives the other 95% an advantage at any airline, including SW.

They will need to have some serious qualifications to be competitive. The days of the good ole buddy network are coming to an end. The online app services are taking care of that, and the decreased opportunities for lawsuits will keep them around.

Last edited:
I'm 51 with 10,000TT, 1200TPIC, 3k jet, 4k tprop, 3 types, and a 4 year degree. Experience at the regionals and currently flying for a large fractional(12 years).

Thinking about starting the application process, would I have a reasonable chance at getting on with a major?

I hope so but... there are a LOT of frac guys with their apps out. I just hope the airlines don't have the same bias against 91 flying they had 12 years ago.
I haven't heard of any that were unsuccessful at the majors.

Latest resources

Back