Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

is 40 to 45 too old to get hired at a major?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Right comparing someone graduating from Top Gun with honors, landing an F-4 at night on a boat, and becoming an Ace is nothing compared to progrmaing a FMS on a Airbus. I used to stand bridge watches with a guy who was his wingman the day he shot down the 3 Migs. Randy may have had some ego issues, but it does not take away from his ability to fly and airplane.

Doesn't mean he would have made a good airline pilot.....just saying.

Graduating isn't hard, paying for it is! Not all of us were able to get loans and grants. Company ceasing operations and living on savings/401k, paying for cancer treatment, damn, my 19 years of experience should count for something. Just trying to show people there are always extenuating circumstances.....

A) if graduating wasn't hard... You didn't learn all you could and grow as much as you could.

B) I came from nothing. And had more challenges than I'll admit on here- albeit not cancer myself- I may be a dick, but my brothers agree-half the character we built in college was nutting up figuring out how on god's green earth we were going to pay for it.
And then doing it.
Usually when everyone else was at parties...

Doesn't mean he would have made a good airline pilot.....just saying.
From what I learned of him second hand from guys who had flown with him I would have to agree. I am not sure he would be a good fit in a two-man modern cockpit. However that post was saying that Randy would be in over his head in an Airbus because he came from a no-automation, steam dial cockpit. I was just saying a guy with his learning capability would master it.

A) if graduating wasn't hard... You didn't learn all you could and grow as much as you could.
A ME Degree from the U of M that is hard, the on-line degree in Gender Studies from Bumble Bee State well not so hard. But at airlines requiring the magic 4 yr degree they are viewed as the same level of accomplishment when they check the box in the lower left corner. Well most airlines unlike SWA who looks at the whole man.

Last edited:
whoops wrong button

A ME Degree from the U of M that is hard, the on-line degree in Gender Studies from Bumble Bee State well not so hard. But at airlines requiring the magic 4 yr degree they are viewed as the same level of accomplishment when they check the box in the lower left corner. Well most airlines unlike SWA who looks at the whole man.

Then why does swa have this little snippet in their qualifications?
Graduation from an accredited four-year college preferred
Sounds as though the 4-year degree from bumble bee state (read, Florida State) university carries quite a bit of weight versus having a GED from Phoenix prep.

SWA prefers their FOs with college degrees, but will consider otherwise exceptionally qualified candidates with degrees from the university of hard knocks.

Thread close, please.

Last edited:
SWA prefers their FOs with college degrees, but will consider otherwise exceptionally qualified candidates with degrees from the university of hard knocks.
Thank you it sounds like you get it. BTW FSU doesn't even good close to the private on-line pay your fee, get your B school. Where you never attend class, interact with an instrcutor or other students. But you appear to hold this accomplishment much higher than going through Army flight training, fixed wing transion assingment to at YIP transport unit. Nope that would count for niothjing in your eyes compared to pay yoru fee get your B school.

Thread close, please.
Never, unless of course I make the last post.;)

Thank you it sounds like you get it. BTW FSU doesn't even good close to the private on-line pay your fee, get your B school. Where you never attend class, interact with an instrcutor or other students. But you appear to hold this accomplishment much higher than going through Army flight training, fixed wing transion assingment to at YIP transport unit. Nope that would count for niothjing in your eyes compared to pay yoru fee get your B school.

Stop drinking Jack bro.

Well said! FWIW, two of the best airline pilots I ever flew with started flying twin beeches after high school rather than go to college. That said, I've flown with great pilots from all the various backgrounds (Civ, Mil, college, no college), ironically the weakest tend to be the one's that think their particular background is superior. The best seem to understand that a good pilot can come from any background.

Thank you Dan! Please tell that to HAL HR, Ive been interviewed twice! Aloha!

Thank you Dan! Please tell that to HAL HR, Ive been interviewed twice! Aloha!

You'd be surprised how many pilots had to endure multiple interviews before being hired. Seems wrong to me to put pilots through that, but the point is they seem to put a lot of importance on perseverance. Hiring will be slow for awhile, but they will be close to doubling the seniority list from 2015 through 2020. Don't give up!

Latest resources

Back