Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

is 40 to 45 too old to get hired at a major?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you're female they will hire you with less than a year at a regional! Obviously very qualified if you are! They hired all the females at my base. Passed on all the ten plus yr qualified check airman. But who needs that when you can check a box...... Im sick of seeing this, anyone else?

Sweet-please confirm your company and base. We'll check to see if you are speaking the truth.

I'm 51 with 10,000TT, 1200TPIC, 3k jet, 4k tprop, 3 types, and a 4 year degree. Experience at the regionals and currently flying for a large fractional(12 years).

Thinking about starting the application process, would I have a reasonable chance at getting on with a major?

Last edited:
Sweet-please confirm your company and base. We'll check to see if you are speaking the truth.

Yeah, funny how much BS flies around here. It's like when you hear on here about all these people getting hired on with no 121 PIC or 4 year, then you go talk to HR or a CP and they're like, "nope, isn't true."

I'm 51 with 10,000TT, 1200TPIC, 3k jet, 4k tprop, 3 types, and a 4 year degree. Experience at the regionals and currently flying for a large fractional(12 years).

Thinking about starting the application process, would I have a reasonable chance at getting on with a major?

Not if you don't apply

If you're female they will hire you with less than a year at a regional! Obviously very qualified if you are! They hired all the females at my base. Passed on all the ten plus yr qualified check airman. But who needs that when you can check a box...... Im sick of seeing this, anyone else?

Well I haven't flown with a chick in 5, or 10 years, I dunno, so I say hire them all. They smell better than guys anyway.

Just so we are clear, being a check airman is political, they may not be the best pilots, may not be the best at CRM, but, might, maybe, be the best at kissing ass.

They are qualified because you say so?

I only say that because we just had 4 quit, because they would not bow to the head bitch, hence, I am being held on 767 but getting A330/B777 pay.

I am not sick of seeing it, just to answer your question.

Last edited:
I only say that because we just had 4 quit, because they would not bow to the head bitch, hence, I am being held on 767 but getting A330/B777 pay.

I am not sick of seeing it, just to answer your question.

Didn't hear about this. ??

At that time Alaska told my dad he was too old. Tail end of Vietnam flying c141all over and couldn't get hired. At that time.
I was in the same box in 1977, after flying P-3's around Vietnam in 60's. The joke back then was to get an interview at a major after age 30 you have to have two logged lunar landings. The military trained over 15,000 pilots in 1968, then kicked them out in droves after 1976. The job market was flooded with military pilots in the late 70's. I ended up flying rubber dog crap out of KYIP in aged out junk. Where did your dad end up?

Sure, but you received a 4 year degree in life experience at 50. No kiddos in their 20s/30s without degrees getting hired.
Not true, I saw a number of guys in their 20/30's come out of our place in the 2000-2007 time frame without college degrees go to AirTran, SWA, Spirit, NJ and JB. Maybe on-demand experience out of KYIP in aged out junk is like a master's in life expereinces?

Latest resources

Back