• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilotyip

Air Transport

DATE:23/01/09
SOURCE:Flightglobal.com

Hudson A320: Partial engine power aided textbook ditching

Sources close to the on-going investigation of US Airways Flight 1549 say that the Airbus A320's number 1 (left) engine continued to run at approximately 35% fan speed (N1) during the three-minute window between striking birds at 3,200ft and ditching in the Hudson River on 15 January. All 150 passengers and five crew safely exited the Charlotte-bound aircraft in the river, aided by nearby ferry boat crews in a spectacle that captured global interest and fueled renewed admiration for airline training and professionalism. Though limited, the left engine's speed would have been adequate to keep the aircraft's generators and hydraulic systems on-line, providing "normal" flight control laws and communications as well as giving pilots ability to deploy flaps and slats, elements that proved critical to performing a low-speed water landing. To maintain altitude on a single engine however, experts say the powerplant would have had to been running at 70% N1 or more. Investigators planned to retrieve the left engine, which broke from the aircraft during the ditching, from the river bottom Friday or Saturday to perform an inspection. Flight International has learned that the aircraft touched down at 125-130kt airspeed with flaps and slats both in the "2" position, or midpoint, position. An A320 normally lands at 120-125kt with fully deployed flaps and slats.

That should have been enough thrust in order for "sully" to make it to TEB or back to LGA.

Hey Brownstain,you obviously have a comprehension problem,so try this:

"Sources close to the on-going investigation of US Airways Flight 1549 say that the Airbus A320's number 1 (left) engine continued to run at approximately 35% fan speed (N1) during the three-minute window between striking birds at 3,200ft and ditching in the Hudson River on 15 January. "

See,N1 is the big fan you see inside the engine .You can see it from the gate while you're waiting for your flight to see your boyfriend.

"To maintain altitude on a single engine however, experts say the powerplant would have had to been running at 70% N1 or more."

See,you forgot about this while on MSFS.Now go fix yourself a nice vaseline and cucumber sandwich,hmmm kay ?

That should have been enough thrust in order for "sully" to make it to TEB or back to LGA.

Whaa?

Browntothebone is right. Old man Sully could've glided into TEB instead of showboating it on the Hudson to impress Lorrie. Me and my ERU and GIA buddies all pulled off the "SULLY.FIVE" DP on MSFS with no problems. Afterwards, we all hi-fived each other and headed to the mall in our company uniforms. Tal;k about a blast. All the chicks were non-stop with the hero questions. We all had a very GOOD night. ;)

Idle N1 is at about 22%. So that extra 13% N1 was only good to keep the systems going which was a good thing.

Hey Brownstain,you obviously have a comprehension problem,so try this:

"Sources close to the on-going investigation of US Airways Flight 1549 say that the Airbus A320's number 1 (left) engine continued to run at approximately 35% fan speed (N1) during the three-minute window between striking birds at 3,200ft and ditching in the Hudson River on 15 January. "

See,N1 is the big fan you see inside the engine .You can see it from the gate while you're waiting for your flight to see your boyfriend.

"To maintain altitude on a single engine however, experts say the powerplant would have had to been running at 70% N1 or more."

See,you forgot about this while on MSFS.Now go fix yourself a nice vaseline and cucumber sandwich,hmmm kay ?

I said NOTHING about maintaining altitude. I said it may have been enough residual thrust for sully to extend his glide in order to make it to TEB or LGA.

I said NOTHING about maintaining altitude. I said it may have been enough residual thrust for sully to extend his glide in order to make it to TEB or LGA.

Yeah, f*** that guy. I bet you could have greased it on at TEB or LGA, no sweat.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back