• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How to tell if you are flying with someone that has passed 60

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How about those that never even got a retirement......how about them apples......I guess a portion of something is better than a portion of nothing.

You're comparing Apples to Oranges.

Those who accepted a job with no retirement made a choice based on that information.

I wish you success!
William

I guess my group relates to those that we followed and frankly enjoyed flying with, and yes there were more than a few characters in the group. Like the guys who flew the B17s, B24s and even a few B29 guys in the group. Then there was our CP/VP Flt Ops who had spent 3 years as a German POW after being shot down in his P51 along with another "character" who had played a kid in the Our Gang movies before becoming a P47 pilot and also having shot down over Germany. Same guy who got the nose of a B707 off the ground before realizing that there was a flight control jammed and managed to get the thing back on the runway and stopped without killing anyone or wrecking the airplane. I won't even bore you with the Vietnam drivel as these pilots brought a whle new dimension to our operation and you think your careers are so damaged because of this age 65 debacle that has been heaped upon you. Hell there guys in that spent 10+ years on the panel before even getting a window seat. So suck it up, get involved in your association, or get a new one (probably a bad idea!) but stop whining and posting all the insults as it makes you look like complete morons. many before you have done more, been more, and continue to carry the water without all the whining. One more time, don't worry about this little blip on your careers and watch out for the crooks running your companies. They are the real dangers lurking ahead

Merry Christmas

Loss of hundreds of thousands occurs.....

Baby boomers: necessitates change to 50 yr old law.

The rest of us: A BLIP.

Loss of hundreds of thousands occurs.....

Baby boomers: necessitates change to 50 yr old law.

The rest of us: A BLIP.

To bad...get over it as it's nothing compared to all the other career hazards out there lurking. I wish you well in 2008 and beyond.

37. Tells you how he logged on to Flightinfo (on the world wide inter-webs) and chose a HUMOROUS thread to draw his line in the sand for a serious discussion...

I'm sure you older guys are all great and are a pleasure to work with, especially with the amazing stories to pass the time. But c'mon, with all that experience and all those adventures, couldn't you have grown a sense of humor...?

Happy New Year everyone!

38. Whenever the Age 60 thing turns up....gets really sanctimonious and defensive

39. Forgot that the classy gentlemen before them retired gracefully.

40. Says that Denver ground told him to go to 4W when his first officer read back follow the 757 to 4E and argues that ground told him to go to 4W with his novice f/o...but then again ground did say to follow the 757. Oh well only 3 months to go I mean 5 years and 3 months

My personal opinion is to start allowing 14 yr olds to drink beer, drive cars and vote. Age limits are for communists.

-Spartacus

Here's one:

Old people can't take a joke!

LOL N1 I was going to make the same response! The arguement was made by the lawmakers that the older pilots experience was needed. Judging from the incredably childess reponse of some of the younger guys on here, I would say that may be the case. There are some guys on here that are stressing over having their upgrade slowed but have demonstrated that don't have the maturity to be a Captain yet.

What about all the all the twenty something RJ CAPTAINS that will now see their careers stagnated even longer than all the releasing of your scope has caused. Do you actually think 90% of regional pilots want to fly that jet for their company- most are only doing it to move on. But it's funny how what's competitive keeps getting higher and higher- and all the while- you used to be good enough to fly a DC-3- the turboprops got sold out so long ago it's not an issue-- then you were too good to fly RJ's (ie: screw the young guys- make them pay dues i never had to) then you were too good to fly 70 seaters- now 90 seaters (DELTA! @76 seats?? you learned nothing??)

I never agreed w/ age 60- but how this passed is another example of you guys looking out for #1. That takes away leverage- which is why you are in this position to need to work to begin with. So APAAD or DanRoman or whoever you are- don't compare yourself to the pilots before the 1980's-- they would STRIKE. They stood up. They defended their profession. You pansies have not lived up to them and the profession they built. You've given in to your sense of entitlement and only looked out for yourself. You HAVING to work past 60 is punishment- i only hope our generation can rise up and fix everything in this country that you screwed up.

To us- We start looking out for the junior in this industry- you'll find us gaining leverage- Just remember this and DON"T think- now it's my turn- i've been screwed- i'm getting mine-We'll only lose more- Look out for the junior and voiceless and we all win.

Unfortunately, with the replies I have read, a number of those under 60 have no sense of humor or no idea of the history of the airline industry. If this age 65 issue is the only one you will face for the rest of your career, consider yourself extremely lucky.

Spooky2 makes some excellent points and should be reread.

Even though I was #2 and flying the newest 777, I just got burnt out and retired 3 months before I turned 60. Of course I thought I had my retirement, had I known it was to be terminated, I may have stayed. But don't expect everyone to stay after 60, many do want to retire. I was very fortunate to fly with some great guys and had what I consider a fine career. And until I ran into J. Grinstein I actually thought there may be some decent and moral people in airline management.

Happy New Year

Latest resources

Back