• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How to tell if you are flying with someone that has passed 60

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll watch envious as they request a free senior coffee at mcd's and order off the senior menu!

Psss. A little fact that feels strange to you because you can't afford it but, at the top of the food chain you can afford to eat in places other than mcd's

Deal with it-it's (finally) here-age 65. Oh, and I expect all of you nay-sayers to retire promptly at age 60 when your time comes, to make room for the youngsters to upgrade quicker, right?

I won't be now. I'll have to work 3-4 years past age 60 in order to make up for lost wages due to a 5 year delay in upgrade.

I'm thrilled to be working an extra 3-4 years for free...!

Deal with it-it's (finally) here-age 65. Oh, and I expect all of you nay-sayers to retire promptly at age 60 when your time comes, to make room for the youngsters to upgrade quicker, right?

We won't be able to. We'll be forced to fly till 65 since by then there will be a 50% hit on your pension (if there still is one) to retire 5 years early. Don't worry, companies will want cut back payscales too reasoning that you have 5 more years to work. Don't worry, we probably won't retire at 60....we'll have no choice but to work till 65. Management will take this one and fuk us with it somehow. Meanwhile, the ones that benefited will be long dead and gone.

I guess my group relates to those that we followed and frankly enjoyed flying with, and yes there were more than a few characters in the group. Like the guys who flew the B17s, B24s and even a few B29 guys in the group. Then there was our CP/VP Flt Ops who had spent 3 years as a German POW after being shot down in his P51 along with another "character" who had played a kid in the Our Gang movies before becoming a P47 pilot and also having shot down over Germany. Same guy who got the nose of a B707 off the ground before realizing that there was a flight control jammed and managed to get the thing back on the runway and stopped without killing anyone or wrecking the airplane. I won't even bore you with the Vietnam drivel as these pilots brought a whle new dimension to our operation and you think your careers are so damaged because of this age 65 debacle that has been heaped upon you. Hell there guys in that spent 10+ years on the panel before even getting a window seat. So suck it up, get involved in your association, or get a new one (probably a bad idea!) but stop whining and posting all the insults as it makes you look like complete morons. many before you have done more, been more, and continue to carry the water without all the whining. One more time, don't worry about this little blip on your careers and watch out for the crooks running your companies. They are the real dangers lurking ahead

Merry Christmas

Excellent post Spooky!

Although I'm 100% against the rule, (for selfish reasons) I'm also a student of aviation history. I remember how Len Morgan at Braniff was on property fourteen years before seeing the left seat of their junior airplane.

One point though, a lot of the folks who want to stay are angry, bitter guys who didn't keep the original wife and house, not even the second pair, and aren't much in the airmanship department.

I would have much preferred to see ALPA expend it's political capital on legislation that held airline's feet to the fire concerning the fulfillment of their obligations and promises to their employees. Delta and United are making money again. Why are they not required to make their employees whole?

Excellent post Spooky!

Although I'm 100% against the rule, (for selfish reasons) I'm also a student of aviation history. I remember how Len Morgan at Braniff was on property fourteen years before seeing the left seat of their junior airplane.

One point though, a lot of the folks who want to stay are angry, bitter guys who didn't keep the original wife and house, not even the second pair, and aren't much in the airmanship department.

I would have much preferred to see ALPA expend it's political capital on legislation that held airline's feet to the fire concerning the fulfillment of their obligations and promises to their employees. Delta and United are making money again. Why are they not required to make their employees whole?

You need to reread my last two sentences in my original post. BTW...thanks for the civility in your repsponse.

Man I would love to fly with you and hear all these great stories about how great and awesome you are. NOT!!!

You must be one annoying individual to fly with. I guess those of us under 40 have never had an engine fire, flight control failure, been shot at in combat or had any other emergency. You benefited your whole career from the age 60 and now - that it threatens you, you're happy to see it go. When in fact the majority of pilots are against the age 60 rule. Last I checked this was a democracy but I guess not with this issue once again special interests win out.

Actually, my guess is Spooky would be an amazing guy to fly with. I think you may be pigeon-holing him on an issue based on who you think he is. He's already retired.

As far as a democracy goes? Are you serious?:D Special interests almost always win. APAAD was more organized than the rest of us, and ALPA threw it's weight behind the change.

My guess is that by 62, most of the folks staying will hang it up. Particularly the widebody crowd. (No offense to them, but take a group of over-aged, overweight humans and continue to disrupt their circadian schedule and I think we'll be seeing quite a few drop dead.* I've not seen a single 777 Captain at my airline that wasn't at least 30-40 pounds overweight.)

* Disclaimer: I respect my fellow Aviators and really don't want that to occur, but I suspect it will, and in surprisingly large numbers.

Blue Skies,

LJDRVR

Last edited:
You need to reread my last two sentences in my original post. BTW...thanks for the civility in your repsponse.

Done. I'm not that worried about the change. I'm a glass half-full sort of guy, and this gives me two to three more years of the opportunity to perform as an FO and learn more about my craft.

The Captain pay would be nice, but I've had a PIC mentality since I was sixteen, so it really doesn't matter which seat I'm sitting in, it's all good.

Done. I'm not that worried about the change. I'm a glass half-full sort of guy, and this gives me two to three more years of the opportunity to perform as an FO and learn more about my craft.

The Captain pay would be nice, but I've had a PIC mentality since I was sixteen, so it really doesn't matter which seat I'm sitting in, it's all good.

LJ, I'm a big believer peoples opinions usually say more about themselves than the people they are talking about. I'm guessing you are a class act. In defense of the "younger generation" I see a lot more like you with the ability to deal with it, than the few here that are so wrapped around the axel over this deal that they seem to be losing prospective. You are going to do fine no matter what happens to you and your career, some of these other guys I'm not so sure about.

The old guys sure fart a lot.

Latest resources

Back