• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hawaiian recalls?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I heard from 2 Seattle Captains less than a week ago that they had talked to Seavy, and that the 2 AC HAL had the letters of intent to lease have become unavailable (lessors raised prices, and HAL walked away). Who knows which story to believe? As for the 717's in LAS, I think I heard this rumor a few years ago, and personally I think it is wishfull thinking (especially for those who live in the West Coast). What would we do with these planes, compete with all of the other carriers moving folks from Vegas to LA? As Whale rider said in an earlier post, you have a better chance of being hit by a bus. LAS is a flooded market, with established low cost carriers who will send HAL running with it's tail between it's legs within a month. If Dunkerely is concerned about competition, than flying domestic in the US is the wrong arena to throw his hat into.

I want expansion as much as the next guy (actually more because I can go back to work for a carrier who's paycheck's don't bounce), but stupid expansion is no good for anyone.

Last edited:
I agree that expanding on the mainland is a lot more risky than doing what is already working very well, more Trans Pac flying. I thought the LAS hub was just wishful thinking also, but Seavy confirmed it is one of the options that Ranch is looking at. Just an option, but it is on the table. Frankly, I was surprised. Who knows? A Hawaiian Air flight would have a strong marketing appeal if the fares are competitive and the service is good. I remember back in the late 70's, Republic leased a Hawaiian MD 80 for a few months and flew it on the line out of MSP and DTW in the winter in Hawaiian Air colors. A FA told me they served more drinks and everyone was a little more upbeat than normal because of the Hawaiian Air paint scheme. So Hawaiian might have a good presence in any market they served with 717's. That said, I'm just as doubtful as you are. We need to go ahead with their plan of more Mainland and Asia flying. Australia has worked out quite well, the loads are less than our mainland flights but the yield per seat is very high. Also, they are killing it with freight, when the pax loads allow belly freight. It's a shame we lost 3 767's by not coming out of BK in April, but they will find something, nothing kills an airline quicker than expanding just for the sake of expanding. These guys are turning out to be pretty savvy, when you come back it will be to a solid airline.

Neither rumor for you from a mainland station manager, "Dunkerly and Carty had a VERY productive meeting with Boeing" whatever that means.

Dan, It sounds like you have a pretty intersting job awaiting recall, If I could, I would love to fly in Europe for a year. I hate that you guys were furloughed, but I saw some of the postings from the survey and an lot of you guys are doing some pretty interesting stuff. I flew with you guys before you went out and you are pretty cool group of pilots with a lot of interesting stories, I'm looking forward to seeing you guys back with even better experiences to share. As you know we have a lot of interesting people here, it will be great have you back.

Ranch will grow the airline, but they plan to do it right, hang in there!

I'm with you, and hope that these guys do it right with regards to expansion. The longer the leg, the higher the rev per seat mile right? Keeping the planes in the air longer, should mean (if the loads are decent) more money right? Well, what the hell do I know. I am still pessimistic about the Vegas base, but who knows. Well, I hope all is going well on the line, and I can't wait to see you guys when the recalls do begin. Take care.

Joshua Gotbaum delays fee request

Former Hawaiian Airlines trustee Joshua Gotbaum has received a one-week extension to file his long-awaited success fee request for seeing the carrier through a tense reorganization.

Gotbaum said the extension was necessary because some of the computer records needed for submitting the application were lost during 2003 and 2004 system failures and are still being retrieved through the computer's archived files. The deadline, which was yesterday, has been extended until next Monday. Gotbaum and his family left Hawaii last night to return to their Washington, D.C., home. "We're leaving because I haven't found anything in Hawaii that was as challenging or half as much fun as running Hawaiian Airlines," Gotbaum said.

Erndogg said:
"We're leaving because I haven't found anything in Hawaii that was as challenging or half as much fun as running Hawaiian Airlines," Gotbaum said.

"And nothing else was nearly as personally profitable," he forgot to add.

From HAweekly:

Now that we are out of bankruptcy, when can we expect to see our financial performance results for the month or quarter? July 28, 2005 Now that Hawaiian Airlines is out of bankruptcy, we are required by the Securities and Exchange Commission to post financials on a quarterly basis. We have 40 days after the close of a quarter to post our quarterly financials, or 10-Q. Hawaiian will post its 10-Q for the quarter ending June 30, 2005 on August 9th

So expect something or nothing on the 9th!!!

Last edited:
Good Job Hawaiian Airlines!

Hawaiian Airlines is Nation's #1 for Punctuality and Baggage Handling in June
/noticias.info/ HONOLULU –- The U.S. Department of Transportation's (DOT) today issued its monthly Air Travel Consumer Report for June showing that Hawaiian Airlines had the nation's best airline performance for on-time service and baggage handling.

Mark Dunkerley, Hawaiian's president and CEO, commented, “Staying on schedule and taking care of luggage are two of travelers' biggest concerns and no airline is doing a better job of meeting those needs than Hawaiian Airlines. June was a busy month, so I'm especially proud of the way our employees keep rising to the challenge and maintaining Hawaiian's industry-leading customer service – there's no better team in the business.”

For the 20th consecutive month, Hawaiian led all carriers nationwide in punctuality with 94.1 percent of its flights arriving on time in June. Hawaii's biggest and longest-serving airline finished 11.0 percentage points above runner-up SkyWest Airlines and 18.9 percentage points above the industry average of 75.2 percent. (To meet DOT standards, a flight must arrive within 15 minutes of schedule to be considered on time.)

Hawaiian also finished June as America's best airline at handling customers' luggage, averaging 3.20 mishandled baggage reports for every 1,000 passengers. Year-to-date, Hawaiian has been even better, averaging only 2.90 mishandled baggage reports per 1,000 passengers to lead all carriers.

Hawaiian scored high in other customer service categories measured by DOT in June, finishing second overall for lowest percentage of flights cancelled at 0.2 percent. Altogether, Hawaiian had only eight cancellations out of 4,137 total flights during the month.

In addition, Hawaiian had the industry's third-best record for lowest percentage of oversales for both second quarter and year-to-date. Hawaiian recorded only nine involuntary denied boardings out of 1.4 million passengers in the second quarter (0.06 per 10,000 passengers), and only 14 involuntary denied boardings out of 2.8 million customers served through the first six months (0.05 per 10,000 passengers).

Even though DOT received only four complaints about Hawaiian compared to the more than 500,000 passengers served in June, the airline ranked 12th overall in the consumer complaints category. Year-to-date, Hawaiian's ranking improved to sixth overall, with only 19 complaints received out of 2.8 million passengers carried during the first six months.

The DOT report covers 20 airlines, including seven carriers providing service to Hawaii.

When was the last time Hawaiian had to deal with a ATC gate hold for thunderstorms, or flow control into NE. airspace. "lol"!

COpilot said:
When was the last time Hawaiian had to deal with a ATC gate hold for thunderstorms, or flow control into NE. airspace. "lol"!

Maybe they don't have those problems from the northeast, but how about an entire interisland fleet that does 25 minute turns every flight every day, but still remains on time? And dealing with fog or storms in Seattle or SFO or LA often lends just as much of a hassle as a NE storm. Vegas has been hammered with thunderstorms too - which is one of HA's destinations.

HAL

I know this might be the wrong thread for this but since there are a bunch of Hawaiian pilot here I would at least try. How many jumpseaters do you take? And are the loads always very high or are there at least a few seats om most flights. Thanks in advance...

B-Longhorn

Latest resources

Back