Hawaiian recalls?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey Dman,

I'm hoping to be able to try for that interview soon. I just tried to call our friend too, it has been a few days since we've talked.

This string has given a pretty accurate synopsis of where things stand at HAL. Too bad if the latest 2 767 rumor has faded. I am encouraged to have a shot at flying the 787 in the future possibly.

Hope we'll get to sit in a Fort Koapaka classroom soon.

Yes, I took part in the HAL survey. I was impressed by the CEO's response to him re: the survey.

Aloha,

J

Lots of secrecy surrounding upcoming big announcement, confidentiality agreements for senior vp's, not just your new route kind of announcement. One rumor has it the HA/AQ merger may be on again to facilitate a smooth transition to an interisland monopoly, i.e., dusting off of 717 ferry tanks, Banmillers revised employment contract and HA's inability to expand transpac due to lack of A/C. Doesn't seem likely, or does it?

Ah yes, these types of rumors are the fodder that fuel our vivid imaginations.

Who knows, at this point I'd accept DOH with Aloha and be done with it. Anyone know their seniority list #'s pre and post 2001?? I know that this is the pattern: we hear a rumor, debate it to death, then it never happens.

J

FlickerFade said:
Who knows, at this point I'd accept DOH with Aloha and be done with it.

Be careful what you wish for. In ALPA mergers DOH almost never happens. Those of us on furlough would most likely be placed below anyone currently working at Aloha, including those hired after we were furloughed.

For instance look at the probable AWA - USAirways merger. There is no way a furloughed USA guy will replace a currently working AWA pilot with 6 months seniority, even though the furloughee has 17 years under his belt. It's ALPA policy and hard to get around.

Let's hope that is one rumor that bites the dust.

HAL

One rumor has it the HA/AQ merger may be on again to facilitate a smooth transition to an interisland monopoly, i.e., dusting off of 717 ferry tanks

IMHO I dont think that HA is looking into a merger at this point and the focus is on the Transpac/intl side. (getting more 767's). If any thing happens in the interisle market we do not plan on getting that many 717's-if there is a capacity shortfall (interisle seats will continue to decline in future).

The focus should be non stop to the outer islands and slowly intergrating it to our interisle operations. I would not be surprised if we dont get any 717's at all!!! The ferry tanks could be A/C due for C checks in the mainland.

We all just got to sit back and see what this BIG announcement is. Hopefully it involves acquiring more 767's and new flying so our guys can get back soon.

Last edited:
Ok, I've been all over the internet, the FCIS, Hangar Talk, and besides the "acars printers and ferry tanks sightings" I haven't found any evidence that a big announcement is coming. Where are you guys getting this information from?

Last edited:
Well just to add to the rumor mill... about 2 weeks ago I heard that Banmiller approached HAL and talked about a merger.

FlickerFade

There are about 100 pilots hired at AQ since Jan 2001.

The chances of a HAL/AQ merger is about as good as you getting hit by a bus.

Talked to Seavy a week ago and, as everyone has been saying, that an anouncement was pending that should make the employee's happy. He did say that Dunkerly said it was NOT more aircraft. However, he confirmed that we have "letters of intent" in for 2 767's. They are ex UAL planes. As was said earlier, they want more aircraft, but only if they make good sense. A rumor is floating around about 717's in LAS. Apparently that IS a possibility. Some anouncement's possible seem to be profit sharing checks, a code share in Austalia is pending could be it to. Not exactly earth shattering, but I think like so many "big anouncement" rumors, they tend to get a lot bigger than intended before they come out.
One you won't here is any merger with AQ. They don't want AQ to go away. I know for a fact that Dunkerly hopes they survive and that HAL being the only inter-island jet carrier opens the door for more competition, not less. So would a merger. Hawaiian has a good inter-island operation that is profitable, they don't need to be bigger and they definetly don't want a mixed fleet with old 737's added (no offense). If they want more flying they can add 717's and use our employee's. Hawaiian is primarily a Trans Pac carrier. They want more 767's as there is a lot they can do. Again, no offense to the Aloha folks, but AQ's Trans Pac operation doesn't do anything for HAL. HAL dosn't need to fly to OAK or JWA.
HAL has proven that with the right aircraft AQ could be succesful, my guess is an investor will come along and buy AQ and get appropriate aircraft for their routes and turn it into a profitable airline.

Latest resources

Back