• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hawaiian recalls?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
II know that they have hired back 15-20 FA's in the last couple weeks. They need the planes and new sched's to bring back the pilots.

Really would like to see the pilots brought back soon.

Sleepyhead said:
Now that HAL has exited BK, is there any info on when they might start recalling?

I spoke with a friend of mine at HAL.. Their plan supposedly is not to do anything really it appears until they see what happens to Aloha. That's the most interesting info I got but...

Some other interesting tidbits of info...
Furlough letters at HAL are only good for 6 years, they would probably be renewed if it went past that, but if mgmt wanted to "start fresh" they could start letting guys go if this stretches another two years. Yes, some guys been furloughed now 4 years... (Wow... I guess it has been that long). Retirements average about 8 a year for the next 5 years. I was reminded Hawaiian went from having the oldest fleet of airplanes in the USA to having the newest in just about 2 years time. They are having a hard time finding more 767's, they wish they didnt give back the two during BK. As for any ideas that many of the furloughees would or would not come back, the feeling is most all of them WILL come back, as the way it was explained to me only like 5 out of the entire 98 dont seem to want to come back...

Got 5 furloughed Hawiian guys at work...all hoping to go back to work within 1 years time...I hope it works out for them. All stellar guys.

Actually the longest anyone has been on furlough is since January 2003 or about 2 1/2 years. There were 20 of us furloughed right after 9/11/2001, but we were recalled and re-furloughed. There was 1 from the original furlough who did not come back due to military reserve call up, but I think he was considered recalled and re-furloughed. However, he was 54 years old in July 2001 during our new hire class so I do not know if he will ever come back even if recalled prior to age 60.

There are many rumors going around about a "big announcement" soon. Supposedly there have been many meetings in the last week or so and the 2nd quarter results are being withheld to be released with this announcement. The Chief Pilot told more than one pilot that "you will like it"....whatever that means.

If there are no additional planes, we can expect 10 to 20 recalls next spring to cover attrition due to retirements and medicals. At that time, it would cover a 2 year period since the last recalls.

2 of the things generating rumors are that the 717 long-range ferry tanks have been broken out by maintenance and are getting attention. This usually does not happen unless a 717 is getting ready for a flight to the coast. Since we are not getting rid of any and all the maintnenace is done inhouse, this leaves only a couple of options - all positive. The 2nd is that maintenance has obtained an additional couple of 767 ACARS sets and printers and that these are being tweaked. Again this leads to the conclusion that there are more planes coming for them to be used in. We are not having ACARS problems on the existing planes so....

But remeber, this is all rumor based on what a furloughed guy stuck in Vegas with limited HAL contact is hearing. I am remaining hopeful, but I also know all previous rumors have proven false.

I do not think management is waiting for Aloha to crash or recover. They are waiting for planes that are compatible with our fleet. I was told from a union rep that all the existing used 767s that have been looked at so far would have lease rates higher than new ones by the time they were reconfigured. Further, management does not want to lease new ones because of the required 20+ year leases. They want to be able to go to the 787 or another aircraft without having to worry about 20+ year leases. HAL has hired a guy whose job is to travel the world looking at 767s as they become available. Also, getting 757s instead is an option, but it would take a very good deal with a minimum of 6 or 7 planes to have it finacially doable due to the required spare parts inventory (supposedly only 15-20% compatible parts with the 767).

Bottomline is that I am cautiously optimistic that I will be recalled within the next 2 years, hopefully sooner. Out CEO has stated numerous times to the press and employees that we need expansion to continue to succeed financially. He has stated that we need more frequency to the west coast (especially California) markets, we need to go to the east coast and that Asia is a prime market for us. He has also stated that although it does not seem so when looking solely at load factor, our Austrailian flight is making big bucks due to the cargo it carries. He want to increase those flights too.

Ranch Capital's game plan when they started bidding on us in bankruptcy was to double our size in a 5 or so years. Over the 12-18 months it took for them to actually get control, fuel has risen dramatically. Ranch still says they want to double the fleet size, but at a slightly slower rate. Only time will tell if they are being truthful or not.

islandhopper said:
Furlough letters at HAL are only good for 6 years, they would probably be renewed if it went past that, but if mgmt wanted to "start fresh" they could start letting guys go if this stretches another two years. Yes, some guys been furloughed now 4 years... (Wow... I guess it has been that long).

Actually the contract states that your furlough period can be up to double your time of service at HA, with a minimum of six years. Therefore the guys with four years that are on furlough have eight years of furlough available.

islandhopper said:
Retirements average about 8 a year for the next 5 years.

The current numbers are:
2005: 8
2006: 13
2007: 18
2008: 15
2009: 16
2010: 10

islandhopper said:
As for any ideas that many of the furloughees would or would not come back, the feeling is most all of them WILL come back, as the way it was explained to me only like 5 out of the entire 98 dont seem to want to come back...

Just wondering where you heard that?

HAL

I had heard that Hawaiian had letters of intent to lease 2 767's. In the last week or so, the leasing company raised the prices on these two planes, and Hawaiian backed out. Don't know how much of this is true, but I heard it from a few different guys. Our MEC was also quoted in this month's ALPA magazine as saying there will be absolutely no recalls throughout the winter.

A classmate of mine was also offered a job at Evergreen, who wanted him to sign a 2 year contract. He contacted the chief pilot who told him that in his opinion, he would not need to worry about being recalled during that time period. This happened about 2 months ago. He is roughly fifty numbers from the top.

Jeez "JM" I can see you've given up flying for detective work. I can assure you the individual in question wouldn't care if I had used his name. In fact I talked to him yesterday. I was simply trying to show that the CP told a person 50 from the top that he would not be recalled within the next two years. The person to whom I was referring to also mentioned to me that Evergreen was continuing to hire if you're interested. How have you been? Hope all is well, and hopefully I'll see you in the lounge in the next decade or so. Aloha. BTW, did you get the survey?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back