• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

HAL hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We at SWA did give up inter island flying???? Right??? New res system coming in place??? Makes you think.

That's not the part that made you a hater- it's the "stealing" line and the Lubbock regional line.

Wave, just for the record, the LBB comment was totally tongue in cheek, hence the little :) Personally I think it's pretty ridiculous to think that is some kind of an insult to say you fly into some Podunk town. So what, you fly into BOS LAX ATL etc too. I don't get how that's an insult because you don't farm out your flying to an RJ operator to there. But to me that's totally not an insult by were you fly. The stealing flying comment is just an observation that when pilots start talking "buying Hawaiian" they naively think that means more opportunity for them, which means they think they would be coming over here to do our flying. Fortunately that would be considered a windfall, so the courts are in fact, in our favor.
So there you go, not a " hater" by any means, but I would sure hate merging with you. We are getting 18-23 A321 NEO's starting in 2017. and 6 either A350's or now the are talking to Boeing about 787's. All our current F/O's our looking at an upgrade in,about 2-5 years as we open a bunch of smaller west coast to Hawaii routes and supplement our wide body routes. Screwing that up for them and creating an inferior airline to what we have now would be a bummer.

We at SWA did give up inter island flying???? Right??? New res system coming in place??? Makes you think.

Tex, a little perspective, SWA approached HA about a code share after ATA went T U. It was, in fact, looked at. Your company wanted to code share all your flying to Hawaii. It was deemed not a good match up. But after that SWAPA did improve your code share language. I'm assuming because of the Volaris / West Jet threat. Hawaii was added in too but everyone who flies here allows inter island code sharing. I believe your language actually specified turbo prop only.
Since then, HA has announced the NEO's and established the fact that the West Coast to Hawaii market would be a lot harder for you to break into. You would be competing with AK's 737 flying as well as HA expanding their dominance with the A321's flying into markets that SWA would have been trying.

Tex, a little perspective, SWA approached HA about a code share after ATA went T U. It was, in fact, looked at. Your company wanted to code share all your flying to Hawaii. It was deemed not a good match up. But after that SWAPA did improve your code share language. I'm assuming because of the Volaris / West Jet threat. Hawaii was added in too but everyone who flies here allows inter island code sharing. I believe your language actually specified turbo prop only.
Since then, HA has announced the NEO's and established the fact that the West Coast to Hawaii market would be a lot harder for you to break into. You would be competing with AK's 737 flying as well as HA expanding their dominance with the A321's flying into markets that SWA would have been trying.

Yea your right. I know the 737 MAX numbers are better than the neo. But its like top secret stuff around SWA these days. No clue when or if we will ever do HA.

I think we will do Hawaii, but the time line is an unknown. I don't think a merger with Hawaiian would be bad way to go either. I think it could work out well for both pilot groups.

I think we will do Hawaii, but the time line is an unknown. I don't think a merger with Hawaiian would be bad way to go either. I think it could work out well for both pilot groups.

How senior are you red?

If rather GK just buy airplanes and hire at the bottom than another overly dramatic SLI.

There you go again Wave.....it's all about the dollar. I've got news for you, money is only a small piece of the puzzle. Air Tran guys have been telling you this for the past few years yet you still don't seem to get it.

And I've got another news flash for you too. I have a few friends, both FOs and 1 Captain flying for SWA. We've compared contracts, schedules and W-2s. If you look at our overall compensation to include benefits and retirement (which SWA's is way behind the other majors/legacies) we're at least equal if not better than SWA. True our interisland might not be quite as high but it's a smaller plane than SWA's 737s. Further, our next contract will increase our pay more keeping it competitive with the other legacy airlines (as has our last two contracts). Your management has repeatedly made the point that you are narrowbodies and should expect narrowbody pay. You days of 737s paying the same as widebodies are coming to an end.

You need to get over it. While SWA is definitely a good place to work it is NOT the only good place to work. Nor is it the dream job or should it be put on a pedestal for all to admire. I don't want to work for SWA and I bet the vast majority of Hawaiian pilots don't want to either. I'm sure there are a handful so I won't say "none", but as a group we'd go kicking and screaming if we were dragged into SWA.

I also am not afraid of what an arbitrator would do combining our lists. We have learned from the Air Tran debacle and our contract and career expectations are as good as (if not better in many areas) SWA's. An arbitrator would see that and rule accordingly.

You really need to drop the pompous "we're better than everyone and you should wish you were us" attitude because you're not and we don't.

Jim,

I agree with everything you say, but, if you guys were to merge somehow, would SWAPA allow arbitration? They may agree to it in the beginning, but Herb might come out of retirement and try to scare the heck out of you guys. Sound familiar? I wonder if that could ever happen in real life? Hmmmmm. I hope you guys NEVER have to do that.

Bye Bye---General Lee

How senior are you red?

If rather GK just buy airplanes and hire at the bottom than another overly dramatic SLI.

Wave, face it, you guys are scared of arbitration. That's the real issue. You don't want it to be fair. You guys believe every other pilot should start over as an FO, and that isn't how it works in the "real world" of arbitration. Your people scared one group into not doing it, but that won't happen again.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back