• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

HAL hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When have pilots ever accurately predicted a merger? It's always something off he wall that catches everyone off guard. If the common wisdom is SW and HAL, you can bet it will be something goofy like SW and Spirit.

Is the 321 NEO sufficient for Hawaii to US mainland flights?

Very much so. I attended the company briefing when they purchased them and they had a very thorough presentation comparing the 321neo's and all the 737 models. The NEO was substantially better. The 737 took performance hits on many routes that the NEO did not.

Did they extend the wings on the NEO or is truly just a new engine on the same airplane now with sharklets.

When have pilots ever accurately predicted a merger? It's always something off he wall that catches everyone off guard. If the common wisdom is SW and HAL, you can bet it will be something goofy like SW and Spirit.

Spot on. The common wisdom is Delta. The reality is Hawaiians route structure simply doesn't dovetail in with any mainland airline. It's business plan is flying people to Hawaii on "Hawaiian Air" . Lots of early am west coast departures that do not connect to any mainland flights. No one but a handful of SW pilots has ever thought that was realistic. With DAL or remotely AA, it brings an Asia presence that would work for them. Obviously SWA suddenly thinking that an A330 hub in HNL to Asia would work for them would be laughable at best, and I'm sure "Gary" would probably laugh the loudest.

It really does become a long term question. If you want to be a Hawaiian 330 pilot, is it better to focus on getting hired at HAL or SWA?

Nice try Wave! But I'll bite....if your Hail Mary prediction did come true, and SWA lost the plot of what made them successful (LCC 737 flying) and tried to merge with HA, the SWA pilots would be fenced out of the widebody flying for a long time. The Judge has to consider what each airline brings to the table as far as career expectations. New hires at HA can go to the widebodies, SWA has zero career expectations there. You would effectively and legally be fenced out for a long time. As you guys trickled over, if you brought the attitude that SWA is famous for (you should be happy to merge with us!!!) you would find Hawaii a very unfriendly place.

I forget what they said, I THINK they mentioned new wings.
Dan, the 321NEO has the same sized wings & fuselage as the current version, but with 'sharklet' type winglets. There is a little aerodynamic cleanup, but most of the improved fuel economy comes from the new engines,

HAL

Nice try Wave! But I'll bite....if your Hail Mary prediction did come true, and SWA lost the plot of what made them successful (LCC 737 flying) and tried to merge with HA, the SWA pilots would be fenced out of the widebody flying for a long time. The Judge has to consider what each airline brings to the table as far as career expectations. New hires at HA can go to the widebodies, SWA has zero career expectations there. You would effectively and legally be fenced out for a long time. As you guys trickled over, if you brought the attitude that SWA is famous for (you should be happy to merge with us!!!) you would find Hawaii a very unfriendly place.

Another stumbling block for SWA would be the fact that HAL is light years ahead of them in the IT department. SWA had tech issues merging with AirTran, they would really be hurting trying to fit into our relatively high tech airline. We've got Indian techies with temporary company badges all over Koapaka! (that's our company headquarters)

Latest resources

Back