• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gulfstream selling LEFT SEAT now!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Apparently there are enough people out there who are willing to pay to be employed, that's just something that the company exploits. Nothing wrong with that, supply an demand, right? Unfortunately there is both demand and supply.

What I'm wondering is, what would the pax think, if they actually knew that the pilots flying them are not qualified enough to get the job in the first place?

When I talk to people who actually flew on Gulf$tream, they thought they were flying with "Continental".

Sunnfun said:
Apparently there are enough people out there who are willing to pay to be employed, that's just something that the company exploits. Nothing wrong with that, supply an demand, right? Unfortunately there is both demand and supply.

What I'm wondering is, what would the pax think, if they actually knew that the pilots flying them are not qualified enough to get the job in the first place?

When I talk to people who actually flew on Gulf$tream, they thought they were flying with "Continental".
They would probably crap right there in their seats. Wonder if one of the big networks would be interested in airing a special about this on one of their news magazines. They enjoy airing something about airlines and it seems this would be something they would love to investigate and publicize, especially the part about these companies only carrying a name such as Continental.

VABB said:
They would probably crap right there in their seats. Wonder if one of the big networks would be interested in airing a special about this on one of their news magazines. They enjoy airing something about airlines and it seems this would be something they would love to investigate and publicize, especially the part about these companies only carrying a name such as Continental.

Since we as pilots don't seem to be able to handle this (which is proven by the sheer existence of schemes like Gulf$tream's, now even the expansion to the left seat), maybe the only viable approach would be to educate the customers? Sure, they only care about the ticketprice; but what if their safety is concerned? They'll jump ship pretty quick, I guess.

Just a thought.

Okay, I kinda hate PFT'ers, and even more those who pay for the time-building crap like gulfstream, but:

Paying for the left seat should get the FAA interested, I would think.

We are running a very great risk of killing a few planeloads of folks if this nonsense continues.

Wankers with starry-eyed jet fantasies will get a chance to jerk of to turboprop PIC time until they move on to the job they 'deserve'.

Nothing is sacred anymore.

Anyone who does this should have their certificates shredded.

Crewmember quals

100LL... Again! said:
Paying for the left seat should get the FAA interested, I would think . . . .
You would think, except that Part 121 concerns itself only with cremember qualifications and not their hiring, e.g.:

Sec. 121.383 - Airman: Limitations on use of services.

(a) No certificate holder may use any person as an airman nor may any person serve as an airman unless that person --

(1) Holds an appropriate current airman certificate issued by the FAA;

(2) Has any required appropriate current airman and medical certificates in his possession while engaged in operations under this part; and

(3) Is otherwise qualified for the operation for which he is to be used.

(b) Each airman covered by paragraph (a)(2) of this section shall present either or both certificates for inspection upon the request of the Administrator.

(c) No certificate holder may use the services of any person as a pilot on an airplane engaged in operations under this part if that person has reached his 60th birthday. No person may serve as a pilot on an airplane engaged in operations under this part if that person has reached his 60th birthday.

and

Sec. 121.437 - Pilot qualification: Certificates required.

(a) No pilot may act as pilot in command of an aircraft (or as second in command of an aircraft in a flag or supplemental operation that requires three or more pilots) unless he holds an airline transport pilot certificate and an appropriate type rating for that aircraft.

(b) No certificate holder may use nor may any pilot act as a pilot in a capacity other than those specified in paragraph (a) of this section unless the pilot holds at least a commercial pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings for the aircraft concerned, and an instrument rating.

So, sadly, P-F-T remains an employment issue. I, personally, have heard of nothing in the law that bars pay-for-training, i.e., pay-for-job, schemes.

It is also an education and public awareness issue. Educating would-be big-time jet captains that they hurt themselves and expose themselves to potential fraud by P-F-Ting. But, it won't work. Would-be pilots, after hearing all the war stories and frustration about overcoming obstacles to build experience, would opt to take the easy way out and P-F-T. It's human nature. They could care less about its harm; they are getting what they want, now. It's all about "me" and "now." Public awareness of how many "captains" got their jobs. However, most patrons care only that they got where they're going on time and safely. They could care less that their "Continental" flight was operated by Gulfstream or their crew bought their jobs.

Last edited:
I wonder what the passengers would think if they knew the pilots that were flying their plane were about one paycheck away from bankruptcy as a way of life.

i don't think this is a safety issue at all. they will have 1250 hours in the airplane before upgrading to the left seat. how they got the hours is another story. what they are doing is simply stating the current facts now, as before they would hire the FO after their 250hr and when they hit 1500 they would move over to the left seat. now they're advertising it, however in reality it is no different except they are locking that individual in for the extra 1,000 hours.

gulfstream pft is no different than any of the highly publicized, highly advertised schools abound in flying and flight training magazine. paying for a seat or interview (w/ a bragged about 90% placement) is ethically no different. they all cost pretty much the same.

O.K. I'm putting on my nomex, kevlar and flak jacket. How is Gulfstream doing anything different than Delta Connection Academy, Regional Airline Academy, TAB Express etc. A person can buy a ticket on Delta.com and when they get out to the airport they are on a regional jet that could be flown by a Captain that paid for a training slot back in the early ninties and a First Officer fresh from the Delta Connection Academy. So does this make this crew a safety issue? I agree that we, pilots, are our own worse enemies. There will always be someone out there that will do it for cheaper, or worse yet free, in order to get ahead.

B-727 Freight Dawg

Bobby-

I understand the point you are making, but you forget something.

The FARs are only a portion of the "real" rules that carriers must follow.

Read throught order 8400 and 8700 and all of the FSATs and HBATs and stuff we've never heard of.

Add to that the fact that a POI can attempt to 'discourage' certain types of action.

The FAA normally does not supervise more than a small portion of company checking events.

That can change.

I've seen FAA inspectors 'drop their pen' in during a sim checkride once in a while, when the applicant made a small, but failing error on an otherwise perfect checkride.

If I were Gulfstream's POI, I would practically need a cot and a microwave, because I would living in their offices if this crap started.

The only people who need to buy left-seat experience are either

1) VERY inexperienced already; and

2) IMPATIENT AS ALL GET OUT.

THIS is who you want in the left seat?

Let's not kid ourselves- a 1900 could be a single pilot airplane.

The FO is there to make a crew. The FO can suck, and you can still adequately operate.

But a sucky low time PFT CA with a sucky low time PFT FO? Come on.

I don't know what the wash-out rate for gulfstreamers at 9E is, but I'm guessing a few at least.

There are few legitimate excuses for a 121 FO to wash out at another 121 job.

All it proves is that they never really should have been at the previous job.

Here's hoping their FSDO puts on the latex glove and does what is right.

Gulfstream v. other P-F-T purveyors

DAL737FO said:
O.K. I'm putting on my nomex, kevlar and flak jacket. How is Gulfstream doing anything different than Delta Connection Academy, Regional Airline Academy, TAB Express etc.
DCA is not P-F-T. The only thing you're doing there is paying for your initial ratings. You still have to instruct there for 800 whatever hours before you can interview at Comair or wherever.

The difference now is at Gulfstream you can buy a Captain's job. Before, it sold only FO jobs. If there was any doubt before, buying a Captain's job is clearly a case of displacing another pilot job.

The way I read the ad, you start at Gulfstream as a P-F-T FO and upgrade to a P-F-T Captain. Don't be surprised if the place eventually establishes a P-F-T street captain program. I, for one, can hardly wait. :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back