• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gulfstream Academy track record

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WRONG! GA is training these pilots from the start. It's not the airlines job to train a pilot basic fundamentals of flying. It's called the "Law of Primacy." If a student is given sub-par training from sub-par instructors from a sub-par flight school, guess what? The student will turn out to be a sub-par pilot. Result? Fatalities and crashes which stem from one source. Gulfstream Academy. Hard facts, numbers, and statistics don't lie. There is NO defense for Gulfstream. The damage is too great to ignore anymore.

Law of Primacy? Well let's take a look:

"An email from Embry-Riddle, thought some might be interested. Although DH is an ERAU alumni and we both worked there, we didn't know any of these 4 folks. What a Fall it's been for Embry-Riddle. Last month we lost two long-time faculty members, Michael Corradi and Bob Sweginnis in a mid-air collision while they were practicing for October's Prescott Air Show.

We have more sad news to report involving pilots with Embry-Riddle connections. Elizabeth "Liz" Morrison, 31, an Embry-Riddle graduate, died Sunday, Oct. 24 in the crash of Hendrick Motorsports Beech 200 King Air near Martinsville, Virginia. Elizabeth, who lived in Concord, North Carolina, graduated from the Daytona Beach campus in 1995 in Aerospace Studies. She was co-pilot on Sunday's flight.

We learned after informing you of the death of Embry-Riddle graduate
Jonathan Palmer
, first officer on the Corporate Airlines flight 5966 in Kirksville, Missouri last week, that the pilot, Kim William Sasse, 48, of Ramsey, New Jersey, also attended the Daytona Beach campus of Embry-Riddle.

Beginning with crash of the Pinnacle Airlines CRJ2 which took the life of Embry-Riddle alumnus Jesse Rhodes on Oct. 14, four pilots with ties to Embry-Riddle have lost their lives in three separate crashes in the past two weeks.

Embry-Riddle trains one in four pilots in the United States."

Uh oh. Could Riddle be the problem? Oh wait, I got it. THE FAA IS THE PROBLEM!! ALL I MEAN ALL PILOTS INVOLVED IN THESE ACCIDENTS OR INCIDENTS HAVE CERTIFICATES ISSUED BY THE FAA!!! THAT'S IT!!

This thread is pointless.

Bottom line to this day.

GIA - 0 fatalities

Last edited:
I've read through the entire thread up until my post and I have to point out incorrect information.

The Comair CA was not a product of GTA or GIA. He was a product of CAA, now known as DCA. He was in Instructor in Flying Services, which is the Part 61 side. I knew Jeff and just want to defend him despite the accident.

I believe it was the FO on the comair which is what the confusion was..nevertheless..

Your statements are true with the flying in SFLA. It is exactly the type of flying environment that individuals should be learning the basics of the airline, and how to operate an airliner under the proper supervision. I have flown my first winter in the NE, as i chose to fly the be1900 at the cle base. I, and the airline, will not allow ne flying by the 250 hour pilots. Each pilot goes through winter opps training, ground and sim, before they are allowed to fly in conditions other than SFLA. You have to get experience somewhere i would prefer they get it in the bahamas. True the 1900 is a part 23 aircraft, and also single pilot qualified, but you know as well as I do the airline is required to fly with two pilots.

Proof positive why GIA scares the sh!t out of me. I wish CAL would power wash the Golden Globes off the tails.

ahhh i was just comenting how irritatting and stupid many pilots are... this thread proves it! I went to gulfstream... best training ive had.

the pinnacle captain (3701) actually came from transtates and did NOT go through the gulfstream first officer program. just went there to get pic.

I'm afraid the case for GIA being the source of the poor airmanship which caused these accidents fails to take the chain of causation to it's ultimate genesis. The fact that GIA grads have been involved in so many high profile incidents as of late is a compelling coincidence but it ignores the true problems to be found in training throughout aviation today.

I recieved my training through ERAU in the early '90s. At that point in time my instructors had literally thousands of hours of dual given. Basic airmanship (flying the airplane) was the overarching focus of all of the training I recieved. By basic airmanship I mean I was expected to intimately understand how to "fly the wing." The aviate, navigate, communicate rule was strictly applied, discipline was constantly reinforced and we all enjoyed the benefit of having instuctors who were truly teachers and skilled in their art. By the time I finished my CFII (a real bastard of a course then) I thought they would hire me as an instructor. Their answer? Go get some more time... You aren't experienced enough. None of this was unique to Riddle at this point in history. There were many part 141 schools as equally proud of their product and jealous of maintaining their quality edge.

So, it was off to Joe Shmoe's FBO I went. Eventually I returned to Riddle as a CFI. By now, the mid 90's hiring boom began and for a while things remained ok. But as a few years went by things began to change. Good people were leaving at an ever accelerating rate for the airlines, many of them to PFT "training bond" schemes (Comair and ACA at the time). Average instuctor experience began to plummet. Pressure began to build on the CFI's from both the flight department and the students to do it faster and cheaper. The Training Course Outline was rewritten again and again to accomodate lower completion times and costs to remain competitive with other 141 flight schools. Entrance requirements also suffered, and it became the instructors duty to not only teach but to "push through" less motivated and talented students. There was talk of replacing actual aircraft time with simulator time even at the primary level in order to control rising costs. Good instructors fought these changes tooth and nail, but to no avail. Less and less time was being devoted to the basics of truly flying an airplane. By the time I left in the late '90s (never did have the money to pay for a job or endure a training bond) I was frustrated and concerned about what had happened to the quality of flight instruction at the school.

Again, this was not unique to ERAU. My feelings were echoed by friends and collegues across the training spectrum.

Flash forward about 6 years. I had finally made my way to the left seat of a regional turboprop after two airlines and flying thousands of hours as an FO, a CFI and a student. It was still a big step... Anyone who has upgraded knows what I mean. Now I had the unfortunate opportunity to bear witness to the result of the changes I had witnessed while still a CFI. While many of my FO's were talented, motivated and dedicated to learning their craft, there were also many who lacked a true understanding about how an airplane really flies. I found myself not only learning how to be a captain, but also teaching what I considered to be fundimental aircraft handling and knowledge with a load of paying passengers in the back. Over time the average experience of the FO's I worked with decreased and this "teaching" environment became more of the rule rather than the exception.

Again, this wasn't a unique situation. My frustrations were again echoed by many others in the same boat.

Do I fault the FO's I have flown with for this situation? Absolutely not. Had I been able to enjoy the fast track to the airlines they benefited from I would have taken advantage of it. It would be the apex of hyprocracy to say that I wouldn't have. Besides, being a good pilot is not a function of the number of hours in the logbook... It is the quality of the experience along the way which matters most. Look at the military and European airlines. They have low time pilots and yet those pilot have superior knowledge which compensates somewhat for what they lack in actual experience.

The problem is not GIA. It isn't ERAU. It isn't any one institution. The problem is that somewhere along the line we stopped training PILOTS. We instead move people through abbreviated pipelines, checking boxes and hoping against all hope that technology and luck will save them when the proverbial feces hits the rotating air movement device. Safety won't improve until we get back to basics and adhere to the time honored and blood proven building blocks of creating airmen and airwomen, not systems managers engaging in OJT.

The captain of 3407 is undeniably at fault for the death of his passengers. It was his sacred duty to care for and protect them and on that night his skills were found wanting. But... He was the product of a system. In my mind, the system that created him is equally culpable in the deaths of those people. If it hadn't had been this crew it would have been another. In every sense of the term, this was an
"accident waiting to happen" because of the training philosophy we have collectively embraced.

ahhh i was just comenting how irritatting and stupid many pilots are... this thread proves it! I went to gulfstream... best training ive had.

the pinnacle captain (3701) actually came from transtates and did NOT go through the gulfstream first officer program. just went there to get pic.

And you're an expert on good training because?

Got a lot of types on your certificate maybe? Flown at a few airlines?

What is your measuring stick?

You proved your stupidity when you forked over 30K+ to Tommy Cooper. With that in mind, you are the last who should lecture on intellect.

Why am I not surprised that you and other GIA former students are sticking up for that place. It's like a Mesa pilot defending their work rules. But the truth is it doesn't stand up. Nice try though. Gulfstream is a scam flight school preying on the gullable. If you can defend a school scamming "pilots" to sit/pay in the right seat of a 121 operation, go ahead. But let me remind you of one thing: You and your other GIA buddies are hugely outnumbered. That flight school is a big problem and puts out crappy pilots in the airline industry. Period.

Latest resources

Back