• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gulfstream Academy track record

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You usually post intelligently, so I assumed you could take the ten seconds necessary to verify your original post. Apparently not.

From your original post:

A quick check shows that you left out several fatal accidents during that same period, including:
Corporate Airlines 5966 on 10/19/04
SWA 1248 on 12/08/05
FedEx 80 on 3/23/09

Looking just a few months prior to those we find several more fatal crashes. You simply cherry-picked the three crashes during that period that fit your argument.

Again, I apologize for that being misleading, but I did state I was lifting it off another forum as I though it was better discussed here with the larger reaching membership... with that said, I wish I could edit the post to make it more accurate (Comair FO vs CA, etc..) but that would be a breach of ethics, and the rest of the thread body seems to explain and outline the facts quiet well... in the end, it's all about the substance behind what is being said.. which is to say, is GIA preparing people for the airlines as well as the traditional CFI or Military route?

Again, I apologize for that being misleading, but I did state I was lifting it off another forum as I though it was better discussed here with the larger reaching membership... with that said, I wish I could edit the post to make it more accurate (Comair FO vs CA, etc..) but that would be a breach of ethics, and the rest of the thread body seems to explain and outline the facts quiet well... in the end, it's all about the substance behind what is being said.. which is to say, is GIA preparing people for the airlines as well as the traditional CFI or Military route?
No problem, I understand that you're using it to make a bigger point. But the problem is that by cherry-picking those three accidents from among all the other accidents around it, the person responsible for the original post is trying to make connections that just don't exist.

I had this one new hire from Gulfstream, her first IFR jig other than GIA. She is attempting to read an approach chart while flying (rather badly). This is an exact quote. As she "breaks out" on final in decent VFR, she says...

"How am I supposed to know what to look for? I've never been to this airport."

All she could talk about is how they did it on the 1900. That was the third GIA "graduate" we sent packing in short order. Needless to say, not another resume with GIA on it ever got looked at, even during the tight times 2 years ago.

It all starts will the basics...

I wouldn't hire anybody out of GIA if they paid me well to.

Okay here we go again! You people absoultly amaze me with your connections of an accident and GTA.
No, it was 3 out of the 3....
Our training is not easy, I have had many of the former students talk to me after leaving to another airline and they say that GIA training was the most diffcult.
You're proud of that? You think that makes the training good?
It seems the constant is the lack of training the crewmembers received at other airlines, not GIA.
Ever hear of the Law of Primacy? At least 2 of these accidents were directly related to a poor understanding of aerodynamics...basic, first lesson stuff...

See above

I was at Gulfstream for over 2 years. I was hired as a Captain on the 1900. I was furloughed from a national regional carrier and needed a job. Believe me, Gulfstream was not my first choice. However, to my surprise the training was exceptional and better and more extensive than at my Legacy regional. I trained along side the first officer (paid) program and was extremely impressed at the quality of instruction they received. Yes many of these pilots have very little experience however they are placed with an experienced Capt who spends over 250 hrs training and molding them. Much more beneficial than sitting right seat in a 172; which I did for over 1500 hrs.

It is my belief that these incidents/accidents are pure coincidence. I honestly and truly believe that Gulfstream pilots are trained well beyond the minimal requirements set forth and that that these attacks are unwarranted.

If you have any questions about the Gulfstream training program or the airline I would be happy to try and answer them.

Yes many of these pilots have very little experience however they are placed with an experienced Capt who spends over 250 hrs training and molding them. Much more beneficial than sitting right seat in a 172; which I did for over 1500 hrs.

Just to play devil's advocate, do you see a problem with the above quote? Remember the stupid little diagram from the Fundamentals of Instruction book, where it showed someone trying to pour knowledge into someone else's head? Doesn't quite work that way. Students must be given the tools to learn, but then must be given the opportunity to teach themselves. That's why solo time is so important. I'll bet you learned more in that 1500 hours CFI'ing than you did in your first 250, or at least you burned that knowledge into your brain better. There is no substitute for PIC time, especially CFI PIC time.

However, to my surprise the training was exceptional and better and more extensive than at my Legacy regional.

Really? Really?

First thought: Gulfstream mgmt, second thought: flamebait, third thought: Gojet. But looking at your posts, it looks like you went to Coex, maybe? I don't even tell my family or friends I work at a Legacy regional, and certainly wouldn't post it on a pilot forum. I'm just sayin...

Latest resources

Back