Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Big,

Thanks for the comments about my -50.

As far as fuel burn versus speed. I did a little cross country Sunday and had about 160 TAS and probably burning 17 gallons an hour. Now, I had the power up because I needed to get home. Had I pulled it back to save fuel, I would have gotten about 125 true at < 12 GPH. If your out playing hard, your going to use some gas in the range of the mid-20's per hour. But it is the best way to burn through some gas money!!

Get that ride in a -52 and then multiply that fun by about 5 and you will have a -50.

Thanks for the info!! That's not too bad really, for such a fun airplane.

I WILL go get that ride. The -50 must be a riot. But alas, I DO have to think of the family too...

Big Duke Six said:
Thanks for the info!! That's not too bad really, for such a fun airplane.

I WILL go get that ride. The -50 must be a riot. But alas, I DO have to think of the family too...

You can always rent something for the family....

Face it: for most of us, the entire family will rarely fly all together. Own a two-seater so you can fly with one of your kids or a friend; rent the "family wagon", when you need it 3 or 4 times throughout the year.

Huggyu2 said:
Face it: for most of us, the entire family will rarely fly all together. Own a two-seater so you can fly with one of your kids or a friend; rent the "family wagon", when you need it 3 or 4 times throughout the year.
Exactly! Personally, most GA airplanes bore me. I dont mean to sound arrogant, but flying is about having some fun in airplane. I fly straight and level all the dang time in the jet I fly. I want something with some personality and most certifiedf airplanes just dont cut it. They are really nice airplanes though. If I did not fly for the airlines and were not able to travel for free, I would probably look at something like an RV, Glasair or Lancair. Something that has some utility yet is fun to fly. Otherwise, my wife and I get a seat in First Class (for free!!!) and let someone else do the flying.

I do agree that a two seater would be great to have. If I did not have access to a Yak-52, then I would probably sell the -50 and get one. Sharing the joy of flying is a gift all pilots should give.

By the way...I am ironing out my loops and did about 15 yesterday..cannot do that in a C-172.

You know what? You guys are absolutely right about getting a 1 or 2 seater. In fact, I've given that same advice myself to other guys over the years. It's just that I suppose when I'm thinking about MY airplane, I naturally thought I had to plan on bringing the wife and kids.

But really, that will almost never happen. And, there are plent of perfectly good 4-seat traveling machines out there to rent. It just seems like a tougher sell to the wife when you say " Look Honey, I got an airplane, and it only has one seat! Aren't you excited?!"

See? Of course, I wouldn't just go buy one and bring it home, but you get the point.

I think part of it too is that I would want my friends and loved ones to experience the thrill (i.e., NOT in a -172) of flight with me. But there is obviously more "thrill" when you're not carrying around that extra seat. But hey, I DO have that buddy with the -52 I could work a deal with...

A lot of good suggestions. However, if you don't have any conventional gear experience right now, rather than a playtoy, what you need are a lot of takeoffs and landings in conventional gear airplanes. You'd indicated at the start of the thread that you don't want a low powered airplane; you want something that isn't "underpowered."

I submit that you probably should have an "underpowered" airplane. Something that requires you to fly it, rather than have excess power. Something that makes you plan ahead and use the full capability of the airplane. Personally, though it's generally meant for shorter folks like me, a Cessna 140 is hard to beat (as are many of the other aircraft hereto mentioned). Get one with an 0-200...you won't be hauling amazons and giants around in it, but as conventional gear airplanes go, they do fine.

A yak or other such airplane would be dandy, as would a basic Cessna 170B or 180...but there's cost, and you might enjoy burning up sky and aerobatics, but that's not what you need for your conventional gear experience. I don't think you'll find the RV very difficult to fly...you don't need to go get a pitts or sukhoi to prepare for the RV...though a pitts is a lot of fun and can be had for a bargain if you look.

Nothing wrong with a Maule.

If I had the bucks to play with (I don't), I'd go buy a T-6. If you're going to be playing anyway, get something with some character that you'll remember, and that will teach you good basics (and remind you about them from time to time). Go buy a Pawnee for that matter, and fly that after you've got some basic instruction in a Citabria.

A Husky can be had for under a hundred grand today, and that's a very capable airplane. Whatever you decide, you're taking a good pragmatic approach with instruction and looking for something into which you can grow. That's a good thing. Best of luck.

Latest resources

Back