• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good taildragger needed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Chuck the RV-8 idea and buy a Yak-50! I almost bought an RV-8 a few years ago and am glad I went with the -50! Granted it is a one holer but holy $hit is it more fun that should be allowed. It is super easy to fly and when the ACM mood hits you, find a fellow -50 owner (there are some in the area) and go at it!

When I need a two holer, I borrow a friends Yak-52 and go flip around!

By the way, when I decide to get a two hole tailwheel, it will be an RV-8. Until then, fights on!

canyonflyer said:
Champs are typically 65hp aren't they?
Canyonflyer

Like I mentioned, this stuff is all pretty new to me. The Champs used for our glider operation were definitely "up-engined" in some way, probably 150 or 180 HP. I'd definitely need the power.

Slim - appreciate the offer. I'm still investigating but I'll keep it in mind.

UAL78 - It'll definitely be a QB kit. It'll still probably take me a LONG time to get it done right! I'm looking forward to the journey. I do need to get up to Oregon and visit the factory, maybe get a ride.

PreRVSM - TY for the suggestion and the offer.

JungleJett - I've always thought Eastern-bloc light aircraft were cool. I've never flown one, but the simplicity, value, performance, etc, are all there for sure. If I had more $$, I'd like to do both a Yak AND an RV, but a kit has been a dream of mine for decades.

I posted a while ago here at FI, inquiring into kits, and I've yet to hear a real negative about Van's aircraft. I don't want to come off as a tire kicker; it'll happen soon. I'm moved in to my airpark home, and as soon as our hideous kitchen remodeling :smash: is done (it$ been 2 month$ so far :angryfire ) I'm going to get the ball rolling.

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions so far. Any Maule owners want to pipe up? I'd appreciate any Maule operators opinions, and any other taildragger suggestions, preferably tandem. Mild acro definitely a plus! I need some parachutes, too.

I had a PA-20 taildragger for a couple years and I loved it, think that is what the maule was built up from. I am 6'1" and it was comfy for me. The BC12D Tcraft my buddy flew was real cramped as well as a Stinson 108 where my head was scrapping the headliner. I would look at a PA-12 if you think you might like a supercub, they are more reasonably priced.

Gorilla,

You're in the DFW area? Which airpark? Man, you're not far from Northwest Regional in Roanoke and Hicks Airport just N of Fort Worth... lots of RV activity at these airports, including RV Central, a RV "Builder's Assist" operation at Hicks. http://www.vansairforce.net/rvcentral.htm

If you want to check out projects in progress or maybe bum a ride, you oughta find 'em there.

I assume you've found http://www.vansairforce.net/ Tons of good info there, plus there are the forums, http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php. If you really wanna snag a ride, post a question in there, I'm sure you can find a DFW area builder that'll set the hook for ya.

As for a taildragger to build time in, you can't go wrong with a 150hp Citabria; lotsa bang for the buck and a whole bunch cheaper than a Cub. It's fairly roomy too; from the sound of it there's no way you guys would be happy with side by side seats... sucks to be squished in shoulder to shoulder.

John
Houston
RV-8 QB engine/prop mounted, cowling/baffling done... almost time to hang the wings!

I'd go for a Maule. It can handle you, your wife, and your son. They are reasonably priced, even new, and less used. They perform well, they are a HOOT to fly, and they are insurable, trainable, etc, etc. The cub is a 2 seater, a guy on my strip has a 120, and it's small inside.

I'm 6-3, and 200, and did my primary training in a Maule. I also live on a grass strip, but 2700 ft long.

You might try and find a Hyperbipe. Its an experimental, not many of them built, but fun to fly. Can be had for a descent price too if you can find them. Probably one of the more challenging taildraggers. We own one and love it. We keep it at LNC just south of Dallas. PM me if you want a ride...

Gor-

The issue I see is the RV types are much more finicky than a production taildragger... Cubs, Champs, Citabria and Decathalons are pretty stable for taildraggers.

Seems to me you should get involved into a RV club and fly other guys RV's if you can....this way you can stay focused on your final product...

However, if an RV club isn't a option a Decathalon of Citabria is good for the weight you want to carry....

Citabria or Decathlon

I have flown the RV-4/6/8 series of airplane and would reccomend either the Citabria or the Decathlon to suit your mission. I am 6'3" 200lbs and instruct tailwheel and acro in both the Citabria and Decathlon. We have two brand new Citabria's for rent here in North Carolina and I have flown myself and a 200lbs passenger with half tanks off of 1000' of grass one a 2900ft density altitude day. The 150-160 hp Citabria is the way to go. More room than a Super Cub and it has the ability to do the occasional loop, roll, spin (i.e. anything positive G Acro) The Decathlon is a much more capable acro trainer however the cost of the plane is more as well. If you choose to buy one it is well worth the money to buy a Citabria/Decathlon with a metal spar. The original Champion/Bellance models came with a wooden spar that can have stress cracks on them. The only way to check for this is to make inspection holes along the main spar about about every 1.5 feet on each wing so a mechanic can get in there and look with a mirror. The spring steel landing gear requires some finesse to do nice wheel landings (think of a springboard) but your RV-8 with spring steel landing gear will land comparably. For those who don't like the spring steel it is virtually maintenance free when compared to the oleos of a champ or maule. If you are looking for a great vacation come to our airport in NC spend a week and get your tailwheel signoff flying around the mountains. We even have seaplane training too! PM me for more details

Latest resources

Back