Good taildragger needed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
flyboycpa said:
BTW....not only would I not recommend the spins in the Swift, but it is an operating limitation....spins prohibited!

fb

You are correct, sir. It's been awhile. I miss 'em.

Go with a Citabria, GCAA, GCBC, or ECA Great planes!

Tram said:
Get a Van's.. You'll be glad you did.. :)

JungleJett - What does a Yak 50 run?

I know of a few that I would recommend for less than 75K and some less than 70K. There is simply no other airplane that can beat it for performance, looks, reliability, ease of MX, and flying qualities for the money. They are a BLAST to fly and really are a poor mans fighter. Plus you will find unlimited support and the other folks that own these and the -52 are a tight group.

There is a dude in the UK that has both a -50 and a Spit. He says there is a striking similarity between the handling characteristics that he can stay current in his Spit by flying the -50. (And he enjoys flying the -50 more!!!)

Seriously...they are a blast to fly and they look cool as hell.

Here is mine...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/2392588500077747909hOvLZE

Just bought an 8KCAB. GREAT plane!

All Yak-50s are single seat, right? If so, I guess the closest two-seater would be a Yak-52? How much difference in performance and "flight characteristics"?

Huggyu2 said:
All Yak-50s are single seat, right? If so, I guess the closest two-seater would be a Yak-52? How much difference in performance and "flight characteristics"?
Yes they are..our motto "Single Seat, Big Meat"

The -52 has a slightly slower roll rate and does not get nearly the vertical penetration that the -50 does. Owe that to about a 400 pound difference between most -50' and -52's. The -50 is also faster. The share alot of the same systems (same engine and prop) and many parts are interchangeable.

The 52 is a good flying airplane. A friend of mine performs in his and does a great show with tailslides, tumbles...you name it. It certainly is not an unlimited aerobat but it will keep you smiling.

Folks that do not know Russian airplanes will tell you these things are junk. I would put my airplane up against ANY airplane as far as build quality and reliability....ANY airplane. They are strong, reliable, very capable, and a blast to fly. They have sweet ramp appeal as well..if that is important to you....and it will be.

If I can point you towards either airplane, let me know. There are a TON of military guys flying these airplanes and LOVE them. A friend of mine is a Hornet driver and says the -50 runs a close race with the F-18 for pure fun.

By the way, they do make a TW version of the -52 but I would stay away from it. They are about 130K (twice what you can get a -52 for)and just not the same as the original birds.

Copy that. I got a ride in a -52 in 2002, and loved it. The guy I flew with bought his for ~$35,000 that year. I'll accept the loss of performance: I've got to share the experience with everyone I can.
I've been looking at a number of aircraft for under $100K (for next year), and the -52 is near the top.
Care to weigh in on a debate on the Yak-52 vs the CJ-6? So far, the folks I met at Oshkosh favor the CJ-6, but I'd like your opinion.

Huggyu2 said:
Copy that. I got a ride in a -52 in 2002, and loved it. The guy I flew with bought his for ~$35,000 that year. I'll accept the loss of performance: I've got to share the experience with everyone I can.
I've been looking at a number of aircraft for under $100K (for next year), and the -52 is near the top.
Care to weigh in on a debate on the Yak-52 vs the CJ-6? So far, the folks I met at Oshkosh favor the CJ-6, but I'd like your opinion.
As with any airplane, you need to define your mission. Both are great airplanes and each has its advantages and disadvantages.

The Yak-52 is slower than the CJ-6 but more aerobatic. The CJ-6 is fast but can only do "warbird aerobatics". The Yak-52 is much more capable. The CJ is a better cross country airplane because it is bigger (more roomy) and faster.

The CJ-6 is more like a standarad BMW while the Yak-52 is like an M series BMW. One thing be sure of, the CJ-6 has a smaller engine than the Yak-52. 265 -vs- 360 HP. They are still faster due to a cleaner airframe but since you can get a CJ-6 with the Yaks M-14P, I would HIGHLY recommend that engine over the stock CJ Housai. It is a better engine too!

Price, you can get a totally overhauled (with your paint scheme) Yak-52 for about 75K. That comes with all kinds of good stuff like a tool kit (which is VERY important for these airplanes). A totally overhauled CJ-6 (Chinese Engine) will run you around 125K. So, for a bit less than half the money, you can get a Yak-52. You will need it for gas money!

I have a friend who owns a -52 that I get to fly. He flies my -50 so it is a good deal for us both!

They are both great airplanes and in a perfect world, I would not hesitate to own either. For now...I will stick with my nifty fifty!

(by the way..the CJ-6 is NOT A CHINESE YAK..there is a misconception about that. They share a blood line but that is it!)

Last edited:
Junglejett:

Sweet ride man, very nice! I've seen lots of -52's and CJ-6's around but I 've somehow never even heard of the -50 before. It definitely catches the eye!!

What kind of fuel burn/speed do you get in cruise with a -50? I have a friend with a -52 that I've been meaning to bum a ride off of and now you've got me all worked up again.

Back to the thread, I've had rides in two RV's. One was a 6A at Sun and fun, the other was a 6 (with Mr Dick Van Grunsven himself) on a demo ride here in Colorado. Both were wonderful flyers, but I just can't get past the nosedragger. Just doesn't seem right! I still have to just dream of building one, but it would have to be an 8QB or a 10 (for the wife and kids).

Latest resources

Back