Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gorilla

King of Belize
Here's the situation, guys. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on an RV-8 QB kit. I'm not the fastest builder, and I suspect it'll be a few years before she flies, even the QB.

I need recommendations for a 2-seat taildragger that I can fly, and gain experience in, while the kit is underway. I live on a 2,500' grass strip. The airplane needs to be relatively docile. Doesn't need to be fast, just capable of safe performance. I am 6'3", 220 lb. my wife is 6', my son is 6'4" (at 15 years old!) so it needs to be able to lift our butts safely on hotter DFW days.

I haven't flown piston in 20 years. I'm planning on hiring a CFI for quite a few hours to get the taildragger endorsement, and get myself back up to speed in the GA world before launching off with family and friends.

ALL recommendations appreciated. Super Cub? Luscomb? T-craft? Decathlon? That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for... Thanks!

:D

You should have decent luck with any of the airplanes you listed. The Super Cub would be one of the more pricey for what you want. An earlier Citabria might be considered. The Decathlon is nice, but for cruising around - the Citabria might better suit your needs. Both of the American Champion aircraft are docile and have handle nicely. On the T-Craft - I don't know that two of you could fit side by side. Same for the Luscombe. You may want to consider a Cessna 180 or 185. I have seen many RV-8's ,7's and 6's lately. I think it'll be a great airplane for you. I had the fortune of helping my father build two T-18's as I was growing up. Got to fly the second one after it was done. I flew it for 80 hours or so until he sold it. He always said the RV choice for a wing was a much better choice than the one that John Thorp put on the T-18. Currently, I put my taildragger experience to use flying a 2000 Waco YMF-5. Awesome airplane. Nice control harmony and a nice attention getter.
Best of luck with building the RV. Each T-18 that Dad build took 6 years. I understand that the current quick build kits are much more complete and will make the process quicker. Blue Skies,

Why don't you just avoid the whole delay, and go buy a completed RV-8? Is it because you really want to build it yourself? If so, how about just buying another RV-8, finishing yours, and starting a two-ship operation (is your wife a pilot?)!!!
There are a number of RV-8s on barnstormers.com for sale, between 90K and 115K. That's less than what you'll pay for a Super Cub, I think.

Last edited:
Thanks very much guys. I did a bit of additional searching on Barnstormers. The Super Cubs are out of control, price wise. T-craft and Luscombe are underpowered. :( There are several Maules available; the prices seem decent, good performance, good loads. Maybe a Maule will be the answer. The Champion also looks good in terms of price and performance. I remember being towed behind a Champ during my glider years. They did a great job.

Since the RV will be tandem, I think that configuration will be the way to go. This will be mostly a trainer-type aircraft for us, so I can learn to safely taildrag, and hopefully also get my family members started flying.

A Champ might be a good option if you can find one with a bigger engine - I flew a 150 hp seaplane, and it had plenty of get-up-and-go. I can only imagine what it would be like on wheels instead of floats. There used to be a Decathlon for rent at Arlington if you want to try your hand at one, but I haven't rented from them in several years.

A buddy of mine finished his RV-8 about 6 months ago, and I can say that you will not be disappointed.....

Champs are typically 65hp aren't they? I bought a Luscombe years ago with a 90hp engine. I'm 6'1", 190, and I fit ok. It's a great little airplane, cruise at 105 mph and burns 5 gal/hr. That's hard to beat in my book. They may not be as docile as a champ though - a Luscombe can be a work out, and a humbling bird.

I've also flown Luscombes with O-200 (100hp), and one with 150hp, and those did REALLY well!

BTW - My Luscombe is for sale, there will be an ad on barnstormers shortly.

Canyonflyer

My father has a Citabria available. I got my private in it.

It's hangared in Newport News(PHF), VA. We considered relocating it to the DFW area 12-13 years ago. Both my parents used to fly, but no longer due to medical reasons and age.

If you're interested, send me a PM. I'll contact my father. I have no idea what he might be asking for it.

Fly safe!

Yeah- something like that might be a better way to go since the guys in your family are fairly good-sized. Unfortunately, I never had that "problem" darnit!

You're going to love the RV-8. One bit of advice- I'd recommend the Quick Build kit. The workmanship is very good and when you pencil out the price per hour that your paying- and saving, you can't beat it. There are lots of award-winning RVs out there that started as QB kits.

Enjoy the journey!

C170a

I think a C170A or B would be a good choice. I have had my 170A for over 20 years and it has been a good low cost aircraft. If you take out the back seat (40lbs) and use it as a 2 place it makes it a good aircraft with lots of rooms to carry stuff.
I will be selling mine on barnstromers soon, $30K, 400-500 left on engine, needs paint, basic VFR panel with mode C.
Jim

Latest resources

Back