• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good taildragger needed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for the excellent suggestions. As a noob taildragger guy, I have decided to go with a Ford Trimotor. Or a B-17.

JK! Lots to think about. Unfortunately, my new airplane is now in my kitchen in the form of new countertops, custom cabinets, and about 6 major appliances. That's where all the $$ went. I can sit at my kitchen table and make airplane noises while I get another cup of coffee from my Miele coffee machine. The grinding beans sound a bit like a starter motor, if I'm sleepy enough. :(

Oh well, now I have some spousal leverage. Soon, I will be flying again, when I want, where I want, with no TSA, grumpy CA's, or FA's. :)

I have a crapload o Tailwheel time and for a tall guy looking for cheap, I'd say a Stinson 108 or a PA-12 Supercruiser. Super Cubs, Decathalons, and the nicer citabria's just are expensive for one with some guts. You can probably find a nice low-timed Stinson 208 for $30-40k. The cheapest super cubs are running $40k+, a nice one will run ya $100k. A J3, Champ, Chief, and BC-12's arent that great for tall people. I havent seen too many PA-12's out on the local market but when I have they seem reasonable when compared to a Super Cub. Not really a "3-seater" but the extra width is awesome, when thinking theyre usually a buttload less than a comparably equipped SupCub.

Stinson 108-3

Two years ago I purchased a Stinson 108-3.

Performance is good--airborne in about 1200ft (full fuel, no pax, no cargo). Control harmony is great, hard to get a "real" stall b/c of those leading edge slots in the wing. Roomy cabin. I'm 5'8" & sit on a 2" temperfoam seat/back cushion (for both comfort and visibilty over the nose.)

Very forgiving as taildraggers go. Oleo stuts in the gear make for good landings (both wheel and 3 point). The "tall tail" 108-3 does, however, have some cross wind limitations (huge tail, small rudder). I had ZERO tailwheel time when I purchased the airplane. MY insurance company only wanted 5 hrs dual in a Stinson with a "Stinson current" CFI, but I had an old Stinson CFI (not my checkout guy) fly with me for another 12 hours before going solo. (9 hours to ferry the acft home + 2 hours local check out at my home grass strip.)

I had a complete annual inspection done (as a pre-purchase) with the sale contingent on the outcome. You need to get an A/P who is knowledgeable about the airplane to do the inspection. Don't buy a "cheap" one. Pay 30-50K for a good one with no squawks.

Both the International Stinson Club (ISC) and the YAHOO Stinson Discussion group are a weatlth of information.

It is a great airplane.

OK, I'm 6'2 and the Stinson 108 has always looked good to me, but earlier someone said that they were NOT good for tall people. Guess I'll have to go find one to sit in. I'm also operating out of airports above 5000 MSL, so I need something with some poop.

5000' MSL...7500' DA??...probably want one with the 0470 or 220 Franklin conversion...I've seen a couple for sale in the past 12 mos...now you're talking about spending 50-60K

OK, so maybe I'm back to a two-seater then, maybe a 115 hp Champ? Would I fit?

Latest resources

Back