Good First Officers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Atccfi said:
I would of held you to a higher standard Hugh.....but then again, I guess you're just an arrogant know it all "captain" that we should all envy to become.... thanks but no thanks
Actually, at this point in time, I'm just trying to be the reasonably flexible, personable and proficient F/O without some kind of stick up my a$$. Having spent quite a bit of time as the guy in the left seat, however, I do recommend you check your six...I think there's something stuck up in there. :(

Hugh Jorgan said:
Actually, at this point in time, I'm just trying to be the reasonably flexible, personable and proficient F/O without some kind of stick up my a$$. Having spent quite a bit of time as the guy in the left seat, however, I do recommend you check your six...I think there's something stuck up in there. :(

I guess we can all tell what that "quite a bit of time as the guy in the left seat" did for your ego....I can only imagine how much bigger it will get once you get back there again....

Since you have been in both seats, why not give him some constructive feedback so he can do the best that he can at his job....I'm not trying to be a prick and didn't mean to offend you, its just that I can understand his question, and from time to time it would be nice to get an honest reply to a question....

What makes a good FO?
Honesty,
Enthusiasm,
Making the job a little easier,
Willing to learn,
If your capt makes a mistake, remember he/she is not perfect, so dont make it a big deal.
Gum,
Know how your capt wants his/her coffee,
I hope this helps. this are taken from real life experiences. I'm not a capt but i had some great captains that taught me a lot of stuff.

Be with the program, speak up if you see something wrong, but don't be a pain in the a@@ that has to question every little decision the Cpt. makes if it ain't breaking a rule or going to kill you. In return, he'll probably let you fly the plane how you want as long as you aren't going to kill anyone. I would much rather fly with someone with a good attitude who is a little newer and makes a few small mistakes than a bitter, know-it-all pain in the ass.

And just be quiet sometimes. Shhh.

Be adaptable! Learn how to read personalities. Won't take you too long and 2-3 three items into the before start check and you will know what you are dealing with.

PilotSkyBlue said:
Just started as an F/O wondering if any captains out there had any inputs of which characteristics make a good F/O.

Always take the chicken.

Every bad landing is yours.....

If you smelt it...you did it!

Keep your tobacco cup on your side of the cockpit......

Make sure the captain doesn't kill you......

In no particular order:

Know your stuff
Be yourself
Don't be cocky or arrogant
Adapt to the environment that your Captain creates
Speak up if you see something that doesn't look right
Don't fart
Take the fat chick

C425Driver

Latest resources

Back