Good First Officers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Butafucco said:
a good f/o is NOT afraid of conflict!!! know your position and know when to assert it. It is ok to tell a capt to get bent if he is out of line.
Wrong, wrong, wrong....

The cockpit is no place for anger, or conflict. :(

Certainly, speak up and in the very rare instance (may never happen to anyone on this board) that you see your crew about to bend an airplane, or hurt someone - take the airplane.

I got on the brakes once as an FO because a Captain did not see a hole he was about to taxi into. On another occassion I stowed the spoilers without being prompted because the situation called for an immediate response. In both cases the Captain's one word reply was, Thanks :)

There is no point in getting angry. Getting mad, or being rude, is a distraction. If two pilots are so crossed up about something that they are distracting each other in the cockpit then it is time to bid another trip, see your union's Professional Standards representatives, or a Chief Pilot.

In the rare instance that a pilot is being an @$$, deal with it as long as you can. Don't risk safety by lowering yourself. The illustration that sticks with me is the Alaska ( I think ) 727 that ran off the runway on the Captain's leg. The approach was poor and the FO cautioned that it did not look good, several times. The Captain and Second Officer berated the FO and made jokes about his skills and position. Then, as the airplane was crashing, going into the weeds the FO spoke up, only to say, "I told you so." Proper Crew Resource Management could have prevented that crash.

Captains appreciate a good first officer and dread a first officer that is weak. A good First Officer not only knows their job, the checklist flows, the radio calls, and smooth manipulation of the controls - a good First Officer thinks like a Captain - Is the airplane airworthy? Is the weather and fuel adequate? Does the crew have what they need? Is the crew enjoying their job and focused on accomplishing the mission?

The cockpit is really staffed by two equals. One of the two gets paid more because the Company uses his Certificate to operate the airplane. The person with his Certificate on the line also has ultimate veto power because they have ultimate responsibility. A Captain can delegate authority, but never responsibility.

Because of that fact, it may seem that some Captains are nit picky. Some of these pilots have had problems and are being extra careful. Just as you would be nervous in the passenger seat of somebody's sports car going really fast, Captains can get pretty nervous watching new FO's learning to fly the aircraft. If you are uncomfortable, let the Captain know and you can soften it by saying that you will fly the airplane conservatively.

All Captains have flown with new FO's who see the line as a place to experiment with the things they did not do in training. When this happens is scares the beejeesus out of the Captain if he does not know what is coming. So be understanding if your Captain is sheel shocked from his lask FO experience, if he is tired, or things at home are not going great. Help out your Captain by being open and communicative and feel free to ask for help when you need it. I've done plenty of paperwork and external inspections and if my FO is rushed on a 30 minute turn, I'm happy to help out.

~~~^~~~

Last edited:
PilotSkyBlue said:
Just started as an F/O wondering if any captains out there had any inputs of which characteristics make a good F/O.

You'll never learn the characteristics that make a good F/O until you're lucky enough to fly with someone that has the characteristics to be a good Captain.

When you meet that person for the first time you'll know it right away; then ask him.

Keep in mind that not all people that sit in the left-seat are Captains; most are just pilots with more seniority than you. Sadly, a great many shouldn't be there at all.

Good luck.

TonyC said:
You're all delusional if you don't realize the only "picking" is done by the "hot chick."

:)
But TonyC you only get to dry hump a box or envelope.

:p

Jobear

~~~^~~~ said:
Certainly, speak up and in the very rare instance (may never happen to anyone on this board) that you see your crew about to bend an airplane, or hurt someone - take the airplane.

I got on the brakes once as an FO because a Captain did not see a hole he was about to taxi into. On another occassion I stowed the spoilers without being prompted because the situation called for an immediate response. In both cases the Captain's one word reply was, Thanks :)

~~~^~~~

I like the brakes thing. I tell FO's that before we leave the gate on the first day. It worked the other day. We had a tug hauling a&& from the right side and I couldn't see him.

FO: "you might want to slow down".
Me: (braking slightly) "huh?"
FO: "BRAKES!!!!"

Thank God he saw the poor bastard. The tug driver locked up his brakes and about 5 baggage carts he was towing just jackknifed. I guess he wasn't paying attention.

But that was one instance where the FO saw something I plain couldn't and really saved the day.

For those saying the FO can "take the fat one," do you really believe there is a choice anymore? It's "take the fat one" or "take the dude." That's why I just choose to keep my pen out of the company ink so to speak, do my job, and go home. Where I find attractive women without issues that seem to grow every time they get on the jumpseat and can gossip.

Oh yeah, and the ever-so-elusive hot one? Well she's either got VD, knows better about pilots, or is waiting for marriage.

:D

?!!

The funny thing is that all these smart alec remarks by Captains of REGIONAL JETS (check your ego at the door) are coming from guys who have never learned to be a good FO, and certainly have no clue on how to be a Captain.
When I upgraded to a new plane, it was the high-time FO, not my 4th stripe, that made it possible to "learn the ropes" of the new equipment I was on.
Just watch your Captains, remember the things that made you like flying with them, and do the same. And as much of a pain in the rear end that they are, still make the effort to make it a nice flight for the pax.
Good luck and welcome to the club.

a good FO is one that is able to remember and stick to the story the captain gives you during the briefing before the visit to the CP's office.

;)

on a more serious note..

be flexible. learn his personality, strengths and weaknesses and work with those to ensure a safe flight. a good FO will complement his strengths and cover his weaknesses... just like he is (should be) doing for you. keep the big picture in mind...getting there safely. remember, you two are a team working against murphy.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back