• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good First Officers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A lot of good responses on here, and I've got one more..... A good F.O. is a Captain in training. Act like it. Be as professional you can in all situations - even if the guy/gal to your left isn't. Think like a Captain. (That doesn't mean do the things Captains are required to do) Know the dispatch release. Become familiar with the MELs and what they mean. Don't assume the dispatcher and captain have verified any MELs that may exist and their expiration times. Question routing when there is weather. Do things that AREN'T required of you - like listen carefully to the Captain's briefing to the FA, balance the fuel often, and don't be afraid to ask the person sitting next to you about something you don't understand - if they're worth anything they'll be happy to explain it to you. And if something doesn't look right - whether it's on the walk around, ATC, gate agents, etc, go ahead and speak up about it - your Captain will respect you for having the guts to query outside party decisions.

A good F/O does his job ahead of time...by the book...and checks on me whenever I'm not ! Don't assume that the Captain is doing it wrong on purpose.

Don't tell your captain how much you can't wait to upgrade/transition to another plane. While you are doing that, you are probably not doing something that is important in your current position.

Mookie

Just stay sharp on the systems, anticipate needs (the captain's and the customer's), keep your head held high if you get one of "those" kind of captains (ref. Le Pilote), and soak up all the good you can from everybody you get to fly with. Throw out their bad habits and tweak your style so that YOU won't be one of "those" captains. Tailwinds and safe landings always!

don't take shat from any capt because they are just as stupid as you are they have just been there a little longer. All my scariest flying stories are from senior dumarse captains who are worthless and if i had not been so assertive they would have killed me. Oh yeah I don;t fly for a regional anymore so why the hell am I posting here. BEER??

Wrong!!

Butafucco said:
a good f/o is NOT afraid of conflict!!! know your position and know when to assert it. It is ok to tell a capt to get bent if he is out of line. That's your job. alot of us really view the fo as our #1 asset, so stand up !!

I hope you're joking. This is not how to deal with an "out of line" captain. Arguing and being combative has not place in an airplane. That's just an accident waiting to happen. When crews start arguing CRM goes out the window and now you have a dangerous situation where something important is going to get missed.

FO's need to adapt to the personality of the captain they are flying with. The captain sets the tone. Once the FO upgrades to captain then they can set the tone. But until then be flexible.

Being flexible and avoiding conflict doesn't mean you let a dangerous situation get out of hand, but pick your battles. Is there really a danger? Is a regulation or SOP being broken? Or does the captain just not do things the way that you would like?

If there is a safety issue then there are ways to bring it up. I think the best way is to ask it as a question. Something like...."hey I'm pretty new, but arent' we supposed to............ (insert whatever you want here)?"
The answer will be one of three things:

"Oh yeah you're right, thanks for pointing that out." Problem solved.

or

"No we are supposed to do this." In this case you can simply say "oh I must have misread that, mind if I look it up real quick so I don't forget again?" At which point look up the information and point out the discrepency to the CA or if you are wrong tell him you were and move on.

or

"Yeah we are supposed to do that but I'm not doing it that way." At this point you can ask "why." If you are not satisfied with the answer you have a more serious problem and you have to decide if this is a battle you want/need to pursue. If the flight your your certificates are not in danger I would say just keep quiet and deal with it on the ground. Otherwise try to resolve the problem with as little conflict as possible.

If a conflict does arise and you know you are right, make sure you win and make sure you are ready to defend yourself to the higher ups because I'm sure you will be talking to them. Remember, FAR's and SOP's are your friend in this case. As long as you are doing what they say you will be fine.

Great landing!

onion....you missed the spirit of my message.

Conflict, in this case is defined as anything other than agreement. I am talking about safety issues/policy issues that any certain individual values, for whatever their reasoning. this industry has shifted in a direction that will have way too many fo's who have thousands of hours in the cocpit of a certain aircraft. this fo can not say they are new and dont know policy. in my opinion that is a weak argument for even a new guy at any airline level. not saying it cant be an effective argument with a captain to get the job done, but why be-little yourself? if you have a position that you believe in, be understanding, but don't play the odds...it will burn you. Also, i want to make sure you understand conflict does not nead to take the direction of arguing. i have never "argued" in an aircraft. i agree that is a critical risk to safety. i have always been prepared to walk to the back of the aircraft and tell him he's single pilot if he's going that route.

actually got fired for it (was management i was dealing with) and was re hired because i was, in the end, right. This is what will get me to 60 yrs.

joe_pilot said:
And I haven't met a CPT that weighed less than 240 lbs ;)

I've had a few gals, both as the CA and FO
that were really good to work with
and would even stoop to being seen
in public with me when we were done
flying...that takes alot of confidance
on their part!

You're clear on the right
Yes sir
Sorry sir
It must have been the wind
You got robbed
I'll take the fat chick
I checked the logs and they're good
(or maybe)...
Did you see that open writeup?
Are you sure about that alternate?
Do you want me to confirm that?

But the safest words in all of aviation
history are...

Fuque this!

It's a team effort. I gaurantee you that
if you watch your CA's back and do things
that make his/her life easier the good ones
will take care of you...if you do a good
job even the buttholes might treat you
right.

For those of you that are getting serious
about the "fat chick" remarks
GET A GRIP, IT'S A JOKE!!!
(Besides, if you really need some you'll
get to the room and be satisfied before
the old guy is done throwing money away
not getting any from the alleged hot one!)

The perfect 121 RON goes like this
The Engineer gets drunk,
the FO gets laid and
the CA has a bowel movement!

In all seriousness the best posts
were about teamwork and getting things
done on time. The only FO's that have ever
pissed me off were so far behind the airplane
that they wouldn't have been hurt in a wreck.
I'm not picking on new guys that just got
out of the box and are still learning the ropes.
I'm picking on the CA's that rush them...and the
few FO's that shouldn't have gotten through
training.

Most of the people in this business are pretty
good to work with. The dynamics rarely
make for a stress free environment. If you can
do something to make things easier or safer,
do it...and remember to have some fun where-
ever you go!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back