• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good bye SL9 Greed- no sir.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mine gets deposited in my 'escrow' every 5th and 20th. Best job I've ever had. Gary has alot to do with that.

RF

Feel like betting your seniority, QOL, and career on the promise of higher pay 20 years from now? The 5th and the 20th is irrelevant.

Eric let me ask you a question...

when did you apply at southwest? did you get the interview? did you get turned down? do you still have an app on file?

Gents; I have nothing to hide , 12 years ago I interviewed, No type. Never applied again. I got the letter after 11 weeks and a SWA drug test, they filled the class with type rated guys. I had a friend in the class. I was a 30 year old DC10 Captain at the time. But apparrently not what they were looking for, for that class.

I think it will go to arbitration, and the list will never be merged. Just look at the ALPO response to understand why I say that. Good luck.

RF

GK's balking at mediation; I doubt he'll agree to arbitration. No need if you have separate operating certificates.
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/08/gary-kelly-talks-about-airtran-1.html
Excerpt:
Media: What was your reaction to the ALPA MEC's decision not to send the agreement out to a vote by members?
Kelly: "Well, first of all, I'm appreciative of all the hard work that has gone into a seniority list integration agreement between the Southwest pilots and the AirTran pilots. In fact, it is unprecedented that we actually were able to come to an agreement in principle among the company and the two pilot unions.
"The Southwest pilot union had unanimously approved the deal to send it out for a vote. I was disappointed last week that the ALPA MEC chose not to send it out, in effect rejected that deal.
"So at this point we'll move forward. There is a process agreement in place that allows for mediated sessions and then ultimately binding arbitration if we merge the two airlines. We're going to take a step back and evaluate all of our operations.
"We had a very generous offer economically on the table. So we have pulled that offer. Now, it's just a different environment with the economy and also with very high fuel prices. We'll just consider all options and ultimately we'll do what's best for the Southwest Airlines' culture as well as the Southwest Airlines business."
Media: So the financial sweeteners are no longer on the table? You won't initially participate in mediation?
Kelly: "Correct. Obviously if asked, we'll join the mediated sessions. We can't improve upon what was offered. In fact, at this point I don't feel comfortable, since we don't have a deal, I don't see any reason ... well, we pulled the offer."
Media: What was the annualized cost of what Southwest offered to get the deal?
Kelly: "Well, it was certainly tens of millions of dollars in 2012, and annualized it would obviously be more than that. That's my best estimate off the top of my head."
Media: Does this push back the timetable for getting a single operating certificate that covers both Southwest and AirTran?
Kelly: "No. They're separate issues. All of that will have to be coordinated with the FAA. But in other words, as you well know, this is a multi-month if not multi-year conversion process.
"The target date for the single operating certificate is March 1. Well, we were not going to have one airline at that point, as you guys know. It really has no bearing. What this does is it will slow down the integration process and perhaps change the integration process.
"We were willing to put some money on the table to get an expedited seniority list, and since we have not been able to do that, well, it just gives us an opportunity to reconsider how we want to move forward."

Money comes and goes in aviation. Yes, even to the almighty SWA. A promise of money today doesn't mean crap unless the full amount is deposited in escrow. Something that will never happen. GK is pissed because for the first time in his professional life a group of pilots refused to kiss the ass of SWA.

You need to read up a bit on SWA's acquisition history. This isn't the first pilot group to do that. It hasn't worked in the past so I don't know why people think it'll work this time around. Bond-McCaskill? That doesn't work if there are two operating certificates.
GK is telling everyone that the merger either happens according to his vision or there's no merging.

Part of the problem is people are seeing this merger as apples to apples. AT is nothing but a glorified commuter airline. If I wanted a job there I could have had one 12 years ago directly from the right seat of a turboprop with a 2 year capt upgrade. This is no NWA/Delta merger. 3/4 or the AT pilots would have killed for a SWA job and started on the bottom a year ago. IMHO a 10 year AT capt should start at the bottom of the list at SWA where they belong- just like every other commuter airline capt would

Part of the problem is people are seeing this merger as apples to apples. AT is nothing but a glorified commuter airline. If I wanted a job there I could have had one 12 years ago directly from the right seat of a turboprop with a 2 year capt upgrade. This is no NWA/Delta merger. 3/4 or the AT pilots would have killed for a SWA job and started on the bottom a year ago. IMHO a 10 year AT capt should start at the bottom of the list at SWA where they belong- just like every other commuter airline capt would

dont let airtran pilots hear you say this...they think they all fly 777 for 300k a year

Oye-I flew my :commuter" from LA to Baltimore the other day. 12 years ago I'd not have thought for a second about sending AT a resume. Things in aviation change and so do the ailrines.

Gents; I have nothing to hide , 12 years ago I interviewed, No type. Never applied again. I got the letter after 11 weeks and a SWA drug test, they filled the class with type rated guys. I had a friend in the class. I was a 30 year old DC10 Captain at the time. But apparrently not what they were looking for, for that class.

It could have been the drug test. Not that you were doing anything wrong, but back then they wouldn't send you for the drug test unless they wanted to put you in a class.

And it is never about "the" class. Everyone was put in a pool. Some with types, some without. If they filled the class with everyone with a type, well everyone has (Morris exception) always had a type going to class.

Class to class we never had a quota or demographic that was trying to be obtained. The only constant was overall, not class to class, 50% military and 50% civilian.

It could have been the drug test. Not that you were doing anything wrong, but back then they wouldn't send you for the drug test unless they wanted to put you in a class.

And it is never about "the" class. Everyone was put in a pool. Some with types, some without. If they filled the class with everyone with a type, well everyone has (Morris exception) always had a type going to class.

Class to class we never had a quota or demographic that was trying to be obtained. The only constant was overall, not class to class, 50% military and 50% civilian.

Damn-- I Knew I should have studied harder for that test! :)

Oye-I flew my :commuter" from LA to Baltimore the other day. 12 years ago I'd not have thought for a second about sending AT a resume. Things in aviation change and so do the ailrines.

Last time I checked my old commuter airline is also flying coast to coast with their RJ's. What I was stating was facts about AT - but somehow AT guys don't want to admit that

Latest resources

Back