Flexjet...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AcroTim

How much free time do you get at your layover destination? I am considering making the jump from Charter to the Fracs. How does this work in the Fractional world?

Very little. The business model works by utilizing the crews and aircraft as much as possible. Flexjet has low ratios when it comes to aircraft-to-customer and pilot-to-aircraft so their whole system works hard. Their is also no contractual protection from calling you out early when the day before you were told about a late trip. This is a problem when you plan for a 4pm wheels up time and they call you at 4am with a new assignment. Remember, you are basically on reserve everyday, you can't even plan on anything the night before.

After a five or six day I was more tired then doing 10-11 days flying freight. The policy of allowing up to 16 hours on the last day was almost always abused and they never seemed to understand at the Waterview that airlining back to JFK would always go late. I'm sure the Flex guys will chime in and say the quitters were lazy and didn't like work but my friends and NetJets and the airlines weren't working that hard and they were getting paid better then I was.

Last edited:
Floating Rest Period.

You finish at 5 pm or 6 pm they can call you in 8 hours and have you be at the a/c in another 2.

That means you go to bed at 9 PM with an expectation of getting a call at 3 AM. Happens all the time.

Floating Rest Period.

You finish at 5 pm or 6 pm they can call you in 8 hours and have you be at the a/c in another 2.

That means you go to bed at 9 PM with an expectation of getting a call at 3 AM. Happens all the time.

Not to highjack the thread but...reading this makes me remember that we have accomplished some things at FLOPs since joining 1108. The 'floating' duty day definitely existed until we all agreed that it probably wasn't very legal (we're 135). Now I don't answer/respond to the Blackberry until my duty on time. If I'm told I get 18 hours of rest - that's what I get.

Wiggums is correct. I enjoyed FlexJet but the the QOL could really suck sometimes. It would easily take your first day off to recover. I've been very fortunate to get hired by a 121 outfit. I work hard, but the QOL is far beyond that of the Fracs. I highly recomend 121, if just for the work rules alone.

If you want to work hard, get min rest and stay at Holiday Inns, than you will love working at FLEX. Oh and that 16 hours on your last day is a slap on your face, it happens all the time. Floating rest must stop at Flex, give it a rest already your losing guys all the time. I am sure that is there biggest gripe. Attrition is so high they can not crew the aircrafts they have now, plus they are growing, who suffers the pilots. 13-14 hours every day.......

Can't you all just bitch about something you don't know about to your pillow so I don't have to read about it. First of all I have never worked more than 16 on my last day, My last few rotations I didn't even work 6 hours on my last day. Yes we have floating rest sort of, but at least we can get more than 10 hours before we have to go back to the airport to sit for 8 plus hours. Like NJ does.

Now Just remember you work for a company that is out to make money not make you happy. Even the worst flying job is better than working 60 hours a week and only getting paid for 40, and sitting in rush hour traffic for an hour each way everyday.

And no I am not management I am a pilot sitting in a hotel room while my plane is in maintenance instead of sitting at the airport because my contract says I have too.

Thanks Walsh. I have the same thing to say. In the 6 day rotation that I just finished, we spent nearly 2 whole days sitting in the Montreal Airport Hilton - concierge level lounge and all. We called dispatch and asked to go somewhere because we were getting bored at the hotel, needed stock, and had training to finish. We ended up at the Boston Airport Hilton, a gorgeous place with a beautiful lobby, cool restaurant/lounge, flat screen in the room.

My last day was 12 1/2 hours, realizing that the last 3 of those was snoozing in seat 11F, made possible by AA Platinum status.

Holiday Inns? Maybe in small markets like Rock Springs, or Paducah, or West Memphis. Darned near every pilot in this company is Hilton Diamond within 6 months. My Marriott points are building also - just had a $400 Marriott in Saratoga, NY. Also frequently enjoy the SJC Marriott.

I agree that I'd like a change to the floating rest period, but alternative is that 4 a.m. airport standby every day. No fractional's work rules prevent 14 up - 10 down for days on end. I'd rather sleep and take the risk of the phone call.

Latest resources

Back