• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flex Jet read file

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A similar question could be asked about DAC and Flight Options: Why would they run a company so as to demoralize the pilot group with starvation pay, no retirement, cheap hotels, etc? Pretty much everything but the meal plan here is bottom of the barrel.

The answer seems to be that it doesn't matter. We still turn a good profit for DAC, which they use to support the other businesses in their portfolio. And as long as they have a stack of resumes a foot tall for every pilot position, they have no reason to change it. The Union is good for protecting what little we have, but the crippling restraints imposed by the RLA make it very difficult to make forward progress.

That business model works for them here at the Options storefront, why would they not try to implement it with the Flex storefront?

Of corse they would, and they are..Seems like an awesome company. Proud to be part of the DAC team.

Last edited:
The going consensus at flex was "Why would DAC buy a company, who is doing so well, then, change everything for the worse; I don't see them changing pay or the schedule. That would kill morale and, ultimately everything Deanna has guided us toward; Why would Ricci want us to be like FLOps, angry, I don't see it happening." I have heard that they are changing the schedule to what you've mentioned in the near future. The schedule is the most coveted QOL perk of working at flex(at least for me).

They will do it slowly. Ask any TA pilot what was promised and what was reality.

The going consensus at flex was "Why would DAC buy a company, who is doing so well, then, change everything for the worse; I don't see them changing pay or the schedule. That would kill morale and, ultimately everything Deanna has guided us toward…”

In December, I posted: “You’re thinking straight-line, as in “confront a problem head-on”. But we’re outside the cockpit and the issues we face are non-linear.” What does this mean? It means that we do not know all the reasons he may or may not have for his actions. Responsibly, we have to consider both optimistic & subversive intentions.

Now that we are merging pilot groups, It would be nice to ditch IBT and start an in house union. Either way, my vote is YES!

There are several other posts which explain in detail how & why an in-house union is simply not feasible, even with the numbers both pilot groups bring together. That said, I am glad for your yes vote.

There are some that routinely vilify the Teamsters & use them as a scapegoat for whatever problems we confront. Others use the Teamsters as an excuse not to support the Union. But the same can be said for ALPA. From reading the airline threads, ALPA appears to be much more involved in the day to day operations. That could be because many of the airlines are represented by ALPA & because of the dynamics of scope, code-sharing, contract negotiations, and mergers, have to remain involved. At Options, maybe 99% of the day to day work is done by the pilots themselves & not the Teamsters. Where a National presence becomes essential is during a union drive, grievances, and major policy changes.

entry

Another entry for your journal: February 11, 2014. Uncle reverses separate company initiative, announces merged ops.

Even though Uncle has been proclaiming separate ops, every Options pilot here - even the rather unstable ones - made this call correctly. That's the first point I want to make: All the Options pilots on this site have experience working with Uncle. We've played this game before.

By itself, the announcement is significant. But note that this change is not simply a policy adjustment - it's a complete reversal of all the hype and announcements made the previous four months.

This is the big message we're trying to get across: One day, policy is one way. After one meeting or after one mass email, the policy is completely reversed.

Last edited:
If I recall, not so long ago you were in denial that DAC was taking over Flex. Do you remember?

I'm sure your looking forward to K.R. putting a 5th stripe on your epelets.

Indeed, I was in Denial..right now, I'm in the bargaining phase. Up next, Depression.

Latest resources

Back