• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Falcon 900EX vs. G-IV SP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Runway overruns are the fault of the airplane how again?

Short of a brake failure, its almost ALWAYS the fault of the guys up front that any airplane goes off the runway - fast approach speeds, not touching down in the TDZ, not properly applying spoilers/lift dump per AFM, not applying maximum braking, not properly compensating for runway contamination, etc. TR isn't factored into certificated landing distances but of course, it helps...and could be the difference between stopping and not when you end up with a stupid pilot trick.

I know actual runway used on landing in our CJ2+ without reverse is greater than our old Citation II with TRs, but it doesn't have anything to do with the capability of the CJ to stop (it will) - its that idle/moderate reverse provides a smoother deceleration for our passengers than moderate/heavy braking.

But running of the runway when you want to use that single one T/R your relying on to stop before hitting the grassy area is a factor, and a correlation for your paycheck .....

If you are relying on any thrust reverser, on any aircraft, to stop you "before hitting the grassy area," you have a pretty good chance of hitting it one day.

I don't think he's saying you rely on the T/R to stop in terms of factoring it in. He's referring to the fact that the stopping power of the brake/tire/ABS combo of the Falcon being poor/unreliable. So by default the T/R is all ya' really got (and all it does is make noise).

Are the brakes on the DA-50/900's really that weak? I don't know, never flown either. I just have a hard time believing it's as bad as some say on here.

If the 50/900's needed more reversing/stopping power, I would have thought that Dassault would have put 3 TR's on the airplanes, or possibly modded them by now.

Are the brakes on the DA-50/900's really that weak? I don't know, never flown either. I just have a hard time believing it's as bad as some say on here.

If the 50/900's needed more reversing/stopping power, I would have thought that Dassault would have put 3 TR's on the airplanes, or possibly modded them by now.

No, they're not. It is just that some people become so brainwashed into believing that the aircraft they like the most, is superior to all other aircraft in spite of the actual facts.

I loved flying the 727, I really did, but does that mean it is the greatest, most wonderful aircraft ever built, Hell no. Did the 727 have a faults, Hell yes.

I loved flying the Sabre 40 with the -8 engine, but were there better aircraft, yes.

Facts are that the Legacy cannot perform as well as the Falcon 900EX or the G-IVSP, let alone the Falcon 7X or the G-550 or the Global Express. It is not even an apples to oranges comparison, more like an elephant to a mouse.

No, they're not. It is just that some people become so brainwashed into believing that the aircraft they like the most, is superior to all other aircraft in spite of the actual facts.

I loved flying the 727, I really did, but does that mean it is the greatest, most wonderful aircraft ever built, Hell no. Did the 727 have a faults, Hell yes.

I loved flying the Sabre 40 with the -8 engine, but were there better aircraft, yes.

Facts are that the Legacy cannot perform as well as the Falcon 900EX or the G-IVSP, let alone the Falcon 7X or the G-550 or the Global Express. It is not even an apples to oranges comparison, more like an elephant to a mouse.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks for your input.

And here is the kicker ...

How many Gulfstreams 4's ran of the end of the runway ? None.

Gulfstream IV G-GMAC originally departed Farnborough Airport (FAB), and flew uneventfully to Luton (LTN). At Luton the passenger boarded for the transatlantic flight to Teterboro (TEB). It arrived in the Teterboro area and was cleared for an ILS runway 19 approach, sidestep to land on runway 24. Although the airplane encountered a gusty right crosswind, the approach was less turbulent than the flightcrew expected. The airplane initially overshot the extended runway 24 centerline, but the airplane was stabilized at 1,000 feet agl. The auto throttle and autopilot were disengaged during the approach, about 800 feet agl. However, the auto throttle reengaged just prior to touchdown, about 35 feet agl. The airplane touched down within the first 2,000 feet of the runway, and slightly right of runway centerline. The crew were not aware that the auto throttle had reengaged. The target airspeed set for the auto throttle
system was 138 knots. After touchdown, as the airplane decelerated below 138 knots, the auto throttle system gradually increased the power levers in an attempt to maintain the target airspeed. Without the power levers in the idle position, the ground spoilers and thrust reversers would not deploy. While the flightcrew was pulling up on the thrust reverser levers, they may not have initially provided enough aft force on the power levers (15 to 32 lbs.) to override and disconnect the auto throttle system. The flight data recorder indicated that the autothrottle system disengaged 16 seconds after the weight-on-wheels switches were activated in ground mode. As the airplane neared the end of the runway, the pilot engaged the emergency brake, and the airplane departed the right side of the runway. The airplane then traveled over a grassy area, struck trees, and came to rest upright.

Latest resources

Back