Falcon 900EX vs. G-IV SP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Where's GVFlyer?

Probably explaining to the engineers at GA how wrong they are about the G650 and how much better the GV still is...

True, I enjoyed the guy at Atlantic LAS with Gulfstream shorts,t-shirt, hat, and lanyard getting into an Astra. And yes, it was an Astra and not a G150.

Sounds like a guy that I used to work for in the Bay Area.... We had an Astra.... Classic #21.... yet when he had it painted, he made sure that they stenciled G100 on the side of it. Tosser

LB

Slats over sluts any day of the week and twice on Sunday before church!

100-1/2

Thanks everyone. Assuming a dry runway, what is the min runway length you would be comfortable with for landing at normal landing weight? Max landing weight? F900 and G-IV.

Thanks again guys

ILB,
Most operators that I know use 5000' for min runway length in the 900. Not a bad policy and we typically adhere to that with a couple exceptions. KHTO being the most often one at 4255'. Plan your arrival fuel properly and you can land there on a wet RW with 5 pax even under 135 using the DAAP 80% rule.

Landing on RW 19 at TEB, it's not very difficult to make the turnoff at Taxiway G which I'd guess is not much more than 3500'.

900 v. G whiz

Ok, lets do the math. With three engines v. two engines you have a greater chance of losing an engine. Now lets do more math. These are manufacturer's MTBF (mean time between failure) numbers. The 900 engines fail 3.2 times more often than the G4 engines. Factor that into the 3 v 2 deal and guess what??? I think I would rather be in a Gulfstream. I am typed in both and have flown both. And did I really see Aspen-London mentioned in a 900? That is difficult to believe but if it works then good luck.

Ok, lets do the math. With three engines v. two engines you have a greater chance of losing an engine. Now lets do more math. These are manufacturer's MTBF (mean time between failure) numbers. The 900 engines fail 3.2 times more often than the G4 engines. Factor that into the 3 v 2 deal and guess what??? I think I would rather be in a Gulfstream. I am typed in both and have flown both. And did I really see Aspen-London mentioned in a 900? That is difficult to believe but if it works then good luck.

What are the MTBFs for the 731 and the Rolls?

Doesn't the 900EX have the -60 TFE, which is the newer generation and has a better in-flight shut down rate?

Doesn't the 900EX have the -60 TFE, which is the newer generation and has a better in-flight shut down rate?

Yes...........

But, remember the old joke.

"Why do you only fly four engine aircraft over the oceans?"

"Because they don't build any five engine aircraft."

:p

Last edited:
And here is the kicker ...

How many Gulfstreams 4's ran of the end of the runway ? None.
How many F900 (or F50) ? Go look it up. Thats right. SINGLE engine thrust reverser. Any contaminated runway landing and those skinny tires on the Falcon make you slip and slide while your looking to stop it.
Hence quite a few flight departments left their Falcon 900 at the end of the runway and bought a Gulfstream 4 (or better).

That may cost you in fuel, but not in stopping power like from that one hair dryer engine in the middle on the Falcon
And without those slutty slats ....

Latest resources

Back