• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Falcon 900EX vs. G-IV SP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think the boss has a pretty bad case of the "G" fever too. Maybe I'll get to try on that grandiose Gulfstream swagger you guys have!

;)

Well, hell yea, that's what all his buddy's want.

Oh, and

In my case it is more like a shuffle :)

Last edited:
If your boss is going to shop on fuel burn numbers alone, the 900 will win every day, every leg.

The Gulfstream is over-built, over-powered, over-winged and over-supported.

There is a price to pay for that.

Last edited:
I'd have some serious doubts about the 900EX making FL450 on the VNY-HPN trip. The plane just does not climb above 430 unless you are VERY light and it won't do it at ISA +--.
I just ran a plan on ARINC for tomorrow; 5 pax, .80m, FL410, ETE 4+40, Burn 9142lbs, landing with 3000lbs.
For the VNY-PDX leg; 5 pax, .82m, FL430, ETE 1+46, Burn 3849lbs, 3000lbs reserve.
That said, it will outperform anything in it's class in the hot and high environment and the 900's short field numbers are outstanding. We do ASE-HTO on a regular basis so we get the fun on both ends. Not ever a problem even landing on a wet runway.
As for the over-water 3 vs. 2 engine thing, not really a good argument IMO. When was the last time anyone heard of G-IV losing one in the NATS?? Now climbing out of ASE 75 times/yr??? I LOVE having 3 motors!!!!

...You would be suprised how many guys want a Gulfstream so they can be in the cool club with their rich buddies... I love the guys who buy a 1960's GII for under 800K and wear Gulfstream hats to the links to impress their buddies...

...You would be suprised how many guys want a Gulfstream so they can be in the cool club with their rich buddies... I love the guys who buy a 1960's GII for under 800K and wear Gulfstream hats to the links to impress their buddies...
True, I enjoyed the guy at Atlantic LAS with Gulfstream shorts,t-shirt, hat, and lanyard getting into an Astra. And yes, it was an Astra and not a G150.

Thanks everyone. Assuming a dry runway, what is the min runway length you would be comfortable with for landing at normal landing weight? Max landing weight? F900 and G-IV.

Thanks again guys

Yet another...."my boss wants a new airplane so Im going to research on flightinfo.com" thread....

Hey boss, get the Gulfstream! I mean, thats what all heads of states and CEOs have....right? Nevermind resale value or operating costs.

and I'm with Rice...FL450 in a 900ex?...I dont care what the numbers say its not happening very often. That 731 burdened TERD dies at FL370 at standard temps. I never took one above 430, even on a 9hr leg. Its simply a woefully underpowered airplane.....note -- PLEASE dont get your panties in a wad here if its all you have flown, I'm not insulting your mother here - just a real observation.

Now...if landing distance is a concern you need to dig in Dassaults numbers if you ever plan on landing on a contaminated runway...you need approx 10K to keep it legal. When I flew one, luckily we had the option of taking another plane with real TR's and good autobrakes...and we ALWAYS did just that when it was avail and wx was snowy, windy, wet...etc..

$$$ budget wise a 900ex is very attractive, it just has a few issues (IMO)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back