• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA Vacation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Executing the wrong-doers does nothing to correct the chain of events that led to the mistake.
Was there a problem with ATC?
What there a problem with the flight crew physically or mentally?
Was there a problem with the equipment?
Was there a company-wide issue that needs to be addressed?
Was there a human factors issue, such as ATC giving a bunch of after departure instructions that are 99% of the time followed by "cleared for takeoff", but this one time didn't? (Just had this one happen, wakes you up if you catch it)

If you shoot the pilots first, you don't get to find out these things.

O.K. I'll modify my post...

Assuming that the facts as presented are correct...then

I'm not in any way suggesting that these guys shoud have their licenses suspended or revoked. But some people seem to suggest that $hit happens so that's it.

Likewise, I think that some people think that these guys should be crucified for their actions. I just dont think that should be the case. Im in no way suggesting that, oh well...it happens. Pending the facts, and if they are at fault, we know that they will get something placed on their file. In my opinion, thats good enough.

The law requires a landing in the touchdown zone... I am sure all of the FI experts have NEVER touchdowned pass that... but if you did should you get a letter in your file?

These pilots are really the only ones that really know what happened. Punish them and they will defend and justify thier actions... debrief them in a non discipline safety orientated way and they will learn and not repeat... in addition they show others how to do it it right....

are you guys starting to get it.. or do you still want to be unprofessional about this whole thing?

I believe we all can honestly relate that no one is/can kicking themselves in the rear more severely than...themselves. Wishing sever punishments for this particular action to these two fellow professionals is a bit near-sighted. If you have been in this profession for any respectable period of time you can understand how this happened. All of us have experienced something of this sort at some point of time in our careers.

This thread is an example of why the profession has deteriorated. Instead of looking for ways to crucify these pilots that are no different than you or I, we should be pointing out how critical our skills are and the importance of situational awareness to the entire operation. Instead we have digressed into which airline is better and who are worse pilots. Our esteem issues are costing us dearly.

So, how long do you think the involuntary vacation will be for the SWA crew that took off from SFO 1L last night after only being cleared into position? And yes, an airplane landing 28L had to go around at the rather, em, urgent request of the tower controller. I'm sure the NASA form was filled out before touchdown but I'd like to know if a NASA report will save you from one like this.

Must have been the last leg of reaallly loonnngg day.

Are you sure it was not just a South West High Speed Taxi?

No need for cheap shots Bus! Anyone who wants to frag these guys needs to look in the mirror. Can anyone here honestly say they've never made an uh-oh? If you can say that, I'd submit, you haven't been flying very like and you will someday.

At my previous employer I had an incident at SFO, it was totally our fault, but that airport has a history of "issues" shall we say. Not blaming anyone, just saying it can be a tricky airport, and none of us know what was going on with these guys/gals in the cockpit or the tower.

Whoever mentioned before about pos and hold going away may be on to something. Is it really worth having if it possibly puts folks in a tough situation every once in awhile? If the FAA really cared about safety this would be a bigger issue.

Maybe we shouldn't allow takeoff and landings on crossing runways? SFO would shut down. Guys- if we can't handle a position and hold-honestly- how can we handle a lot of things we do, much less look our company's negotiator in the eye.
SFO wouldn't work at all w/o pos and hold- they couldn't time the criss-cross. I completely believe in what Rez said- but i also think that if we want compensation as a professional- we need to allow our skill and talent to be used to make airports and our airlines more efficient. Maybe simply change the Pos and Hold procedure in similar way as we've handled holding short of a runway. Emphasize the takeoff clearance a lot more and we'd eliminate PAH issues. This would acknowledge the seriousness of safety issues, w/o dumbing us down to the lowest common denominator.

I don't think any of us here have a right to judge this crew. We've ALL made mistakes in our careers, some have been small, some have been large. I do believe someone once said "Let he without sin cast the first stone." Our job as professional pilots are to learn from this incident and do everything in our power to make sure it doesn't happen again. As far as punishment goes, that's SWA and the FAA's job. Not ours. I know incursions are a hot topic with the FAA right now and I hope they don't use this crew for an example.

Latest resources

Back