FAA Vacation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
timmay said:
Someone finally gets my point. YES it can happen to anyone and NO IDONT think they should lose there job. However we need some accountability which is lacking in our industry.

Accountability? Lacking in aviation???

Just what kind of accountability do you think this crew "needs"?

I say we let the SWA ERC decide that...

The spleen analogy is lame, but I get your point and to some extent agree with you. How serious does a screwup have to be before there are real consequences? By real consequences I'm talking about more than a temporary letter on your record. Do we actually have to bend metal or injure somebody first? Whether or not this incident rises to that level is not a call I want to make, but Timmay's point is valid. How bad is so bad that an ASAP report won't save you?

Someone finally gets my point. YES it can happen to anyone and NO IDONT think they should lose there job. However we need some accountability which is lacking in our industry.

I guess the question is..what is your version of "accountablity?" You mention above that this shouldnt go "un-punished." We all make mistakes and what happened to the SWA crew could happen to anyone out there. If they flat out told the controller, NFW are we waiting in position...we are gonna blast off...later dude. Well, knowingly putting people in a compromising position like that and blatently disregarding the controllers instructions would warrant a form of "punishment." But this was a mistake and nobody got hurt...and we can all learn from that. We all know that perhaps they will get something on their "file" but they certainly dont need to be punished.

It seems most of the previous posts are based on the "there but for the grace of God go I". It could happen to any of us, so if these guys don't get punished, then when I do it, I won't be punished either. Even though nobody died, the fact is that taking off without a clearance and causing a near miss IS a big deal.

The ASAP reports, if they filed them, should help these guys out, but at the very least, a letter in their file and some line checks are in order.

It seems most of the previous posts are based on the "there but for the grace of God go I". It could happen to any of us, so if these guys don't get punished, then when I do it, I won't be punished either. Even though nobody died, the fact is that taking off without a clearance and causing a near miss IS a big deal.

The ASAP reports, if they filed them, should help these guys out, but at the very least, a letter in their file and some line checks are in order.

Does ANYONE have the whole story here?

Anyone?

Then let ASAP do its job. Were they fatigued? What is the playback of the ATC clearance?

Here is the big problem.... you guys are are using guilty until proven innocent. All you are doing is eroding the profession....

When punishment and discpline is used then safety goes out the window.... guys won't report the issues for fear of discipline... so safety isn't improved...

If you are a professional pilot and you have not read the FAA AC on ASAP then click the link. Education is two things: power and a choice...

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...7a04907a886256c7900648358/$FILE/AC120-66B.pdf

And its probably a given that they are going to get exactly that. But what other punishment is needed?

O.K. I'll modify my post...

Assuming that the facts as presented are correct...then

I'm not in any way suggesting that these guys shoud have their licenses suspended or revoked. But some people seem to suggest that $hit happens so that's it.

Last edited:
I have friends at southwest. I just hope the FAA goes lightly, which depends on what FAA inspector you draw. I personally used a NASA(ASRS) report years ago(22) for busting the TCA at San Diego. The FAA at San diego wanted to burn me at the stake and LAX FSDO did not. I lucked out and was granted immunity 3 months later while waiting to see if I was going to be burned at the stake. The moral of the story is what is your situation and are you aware. Peace out.

Latest resources

Back