• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DW is mad at Jetblue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While we're at it, how about going from 8 hours bottle to throttle to 6 hours? With these longer days, you won't have time to drink as much on overnights. Also, the blood alcohol level should be raised from .04 to .25 :)

Wy dont we just get rid of the drinking rule altogether.....Heck you can get a DRUNK pilot to do ANYTHING!!!!!

I find it interesting that DW is opposing the entire proposal sight unseen. Why is it unseen? Because the research has just now begun, and nobody knows the results yet! For all we know, it'll come back as a bad idea, but somebody should take a look at it. We all know that there are plenty of legal-but-stupid schedules that can be built under our current, unscientifically written, 50-yr-old regs. So why not take a top down look at actual pilot performance under such conditions? Beats holding up status quo as the gold standard when we all know it's nothing of the sort.

JB hasn't proposed any changes yet. Sure the research is with an eye towards possible flight/duty time modification, but it's far from arbitrary. The current 8 hrs/unlimited legs is totally arbitrary, but it's status quo so nobody questions it. As more than one person has pointed out, even 8 hrs is murder on an eight-leg regional airline schedule, but that's not what we're talking about here. Geez, wait for some hard numbers before trashing the whole concept. I'm not especially keen on the idea, but I'm willing to keep an open mind. I'm especially interested to see the kinds of operations that are currently legal-but-stupid (can you say "day sleep") but may be outlawed based on the results of this research. There is significant possible upside here.

This is the camel's nose under the tent. Few managements are a benevolent as JB's. Before the ink is dry, other companies will be pushing the boundries.

Even at JB this will morph into a 1700 departure with a redeye return. Figure half of the guys who commute will do so on the same day before their first of three of these in a row (wouldn't that be great--29.5 in three days!).

"I'll just tough it out." Ok.TC

i have a solution......

for those companies that DONT want to fly a two leg 10 block hour day....then they could use that union of theirs to reject the exemption! unions can do that.....right?

The thing that REALLY REALLY REALLY needs to be changed is the dam duty day. 16 hours is completely absurd.

I couldn't agree more!

I would be in favor of raising the 8 hour flight per day only if all max duty days are lowered to no more than 12 hours domestic.

I've flown many 10 plus flight hour days with IOs that did nothing but catch the movie and dine in the back with no more than 12 hour duty days, these were two leg days. I was much more tired flying 6 hours on a 15+ hour duty day.

Lower the max duty day from 16 to 12 hours and then we can talk about raising the max flight day.

ATA's current max duty day is 14 hours and that's too long.

DW and his band of lawyers are opposed to anything they didn’t come up with or can’t get the credit for! Just one more reason ALPA's reputation is in the crapper.

This rule makes obvious sense for a 2-leg trip. We do Hawaii out and backs to the West Coast, and its no big deal. Although I’m 91K, working an extra hour to save 4 on a break is math I can agree with.

Don’t worry, ten years after the rule change, ALPA will quietly tell everyone they were the ones who got the deal done anyway. Remember the 3rd crew compliment issue?

In my opinion,

Duane WORTHLESS should concentrate on how to preserve the industries pensions and the constant lack of job security before he starts blabbing his mouth.

Worthless should also take a paycut like all his fellow pilots. Correct me if I am wrong, Doesnt he make 400K+/yr & perks?

ALPO!

How about if everybody goes back here and gets caught up on all the rationalization by the jetBlue pilots before we cover all the same stuff over again?

Please don't think that once the flight time door is opened, without some major overhaul of the flight/duty time regs, it won't be abused by every company not opposed by an effective collective bargaining unit.

Latest resources

Back