DW is mad at Jetblue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Huggyu2 said:
Kind of funny, I guess: when I was in the military, we did anything we could to grab another flight. Then, when I get in the commercial business, we do anything we can to avoid flying. What happened to the passion?

The passion is still there for many. The problem is, we all have passion for time spent with our family and friends as well. For me at least, my love of my family and those I spend time with when not at work often overrides my passion for flying. I get my fill in a 3-day trip, then am very ready to get home.

We all know that should this rule get passed, it will not just apply to the two-leg days. The domestic majors will use it. The regionals will use it. Soon there will be 6 and 7 leg days in RJs flying 10 hours a day with 14 hours of duty. This is just the way things work. Let me ask you JetBlue pilots, would you be in favor of the change so you can do 2-leg transcons in one day, knowing on the flipside you'd also be doing 5-6 short-leg days as well?

Also I believe Exemption 3585 was started by Peoples Express, not PSA.

This is NOT a good idea. Yes, 9 hours, with a 12 hours duty day sounds good. however, you can bet (at least at the regionals) it will be "12 hours, up to 16 in the event of ATC or operational delay." Guess what? You are now flying 9 hours with a 16 hour duty day---guaranteed.

This whole rest converstaion is a joke. If the FAA really cared about "human factors" they would have listened to the NTSB many years ago. Crash after crash, after crash have listed pilot fatigue as a contributing factor, but nothing is done. I'm usually on board with the Jet Blue way of thinking, but this is outright foolishness.

Do you realize that commercial truckers have to have TEN hours of rest in the past 24, with NO reduced rest or scheduling BULLSH.IT. For a commerical trucker to NOT have rest (as documented in their logbook) is a misdemanor, punishable by ARREST.

For a trucker to be at rest, he pulls off to the side of the road in is quite literally at "rest" in 5 minutes. Airline rest requirement are laughable, at best. And if your company seeks to undercut them further, you will make a bad situation worse.

Funny that the two posts above me summed up exactly what I was thinking.

Way to go boys!

Good post Palerider, I'm sure JB has it figured out but, on the surface, 9 hours of flying in a 12 hour max duty day could really be tight if you have any difficulty (flat tire?) getting back out on the turnaround. Given a typical show time of 45 minutes prior and 15 minutes after and maybe an hour to turnaround on a long haul flight you're not looking at much time to fix stuff that goes wrong. In practice I think the JB pilots are looking at a longer actual duty day than a "scheduled" 12 hours assuming that they are good to finish if they are good to start.

Last edited:
I wonder how DW would react, if JB asked the FAA to decrease duty time limits as per FAR's, without changing the 8 hr rule?

I mean, reducing duty day to 14 or even 12 would be better for all, right, so would he object or would he endorse it?

At this time JB has NOT changed its stance in regard to the 8 hr limit!

They have commenced research on the circadian rhythm issue and after those facts are in, they will then determine their course of action. It is very possible, that they will not endorse changing the limits.

NASA has long recommended, that pilots be allowed to take short naps in the cockpit, however, the FAA has strenously disregarded this, even though it is practiced overseas and that it has been proven alertness is increased.

We all know, that rather nasty schedules can be built. Schedules, that while legal, are very fattiguing and that can wreak havoc on the body. The FAA and the airlines has been dragging their feet on this. DW even mentioned his dispproval for the lack of a NPRM. Before you go shooting from he hip and calling all JB pilots stupid, let's at least have a look at the data. Who knows, it may very well show, that changing the 8 hr rule is wrong, but that an overhaul is still needed, and this might prompt the FAA to finally take action, as they did with the Whitlow letter.

Am I for changing the rule, no, since either way it would not affect me, but I am interested in seeing the research done nonetheless.

Last edited:
bestpilot said:
Duuude, how bouts we start workin on fixin this whole rest thing. How bouts your minimum rest is 9 hours ALWAYS. I can't be figurin out this reduced rest, followed by compensatory stuff. Why does the man make this stuff so frreakin hard. Just be makin it simple.

100 in a month?--Yeah, I'm diggin it.

1000 in a year?--Yeah, diggin that too!

8 Max in a day?--Look, as lon as you keep the other 2, then it's all good!

If it's minimmizin my commutes, and I'm gettin more days off, how am I gonna be dyin early in Yonkers (unless I'm gettin killed by Snake or Ty Guy).

Look, my brother from the Delta mother, I commute, so I'd be lovin to fly like 40 in 5 for like 2 weeks in a row, then kick back wit the brewskis for the rest of the month. (Even better would be to fly 5 of dem 9 hour flight time gigs) Duude, that's 45 in 7, but like 9*5=45, so if I'm workin 10 days, I can bag like 90 hours of pay???? FREAKING AWESOME...Just make sure you got a cool duty day, and if we can get this rest thing fixed, it would be groovy, baby, yeah.

What? Come on duuude. What other rules would you like to change so you can rest more at home? How about resting in the plane, both you and the Cap, and then autoland it back into Kennedy. That is what you will need to do after being a zombie. Nah, aint gonna work. How about that AA crew who crashed in LIT? They had a long duty day and many t-storms to contend with. Throw that into your LGB turn from JFK and YOU ARE DANGEROUS. Add huge headwinds in the Spring to LGB and huge T-storms or bad snow storms in the NE, and you are worthless. No thanks duuuude. Have a brewski on me---make it a Sam Adams....

Bye Bye--General Lee

I would imagine an exemption like this would allow JetBlue to get away with hirng fewer pilots. Is that good or bad?

AlbieF15 said:
Problem is when you open Pandora's box and change duty times, all he11 can break loose when flight managers start optimizing scheds based on new rules.

JB might just send you to SEA and back...piece of cake you say... Well, you can bet FDX and UPS managers, along with every other competitive company, will exploit new rules with ZERO regard to pilot's health, wellness, or safety. I honestly believe your managers might not...but when you mess with LAWS designed to protect the rest of us you can create some real issues.

I'm a JB fan...but I'm 100% ALPA on this one. Cleaning jets? Cool...builds teamwork and esprit for some. I have no problem. If you don't like it, don't join JB. On the other hand, changing LAWS will ripple down to the rest of us.

Respectfully....an "optimizer" hater....

Albie:

The USA has the largest and most advanced aviation system in the world. Yet we have the worst flight and duty time limits you would be able to find. You can show up for a duty day at 9:00 AM and be scheduled to fly one one leg of 8 hours. You can also show up for duty at midnight, be scheduled for 6+ legs, and be legal as long as they do not exceed 8 hours block or 16 hours duty. That is a disgrace.

During the Tiger days on the DC8 we had a trip scheduled LAX-HNL-LAX. Legal because it was scheduled under 12 hours block, considered international by FARs, and flown by two pilots plus one additional crewmember, the FE. This was probably the most senior trip in the LAX DC8 bid pack. You had to work 7 days a month.

JetBlue should be granted the exemption.

InclusiveScope said:
This "new" limit wouldn't apply in the situation you describe. It would only be for 2 leg transcons. I would not support it for a "regional" type operation. However it makes sense for the transcons. If it came with a 2 leg limit and a reduced duty day limit, would you support it?

Only a fool could not see that this opens the door for additional change. Congratulations.

Latest resources

Back