• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How did this start out ?

Lets sum up:

DW gets 400K+/yr and steps up to the plate to "protect the masses"

JB is going to corrupt industry with flighttime change

JB blah blah blah blah is therefore evil

JB needs to get union because blah blah blah....We (non JB) have unions to protect us from bad company men

If JB gets exemption then we WILL all have to follow

Wait , we have powerful unions to protect us from this, so why are we b1tching ?

Regardless of outcome, DW still gets his 400K+/yr

MercuryPilot said:
If your airline tries to exploit this, can't you use your union for something productive like opting out of this concept?

Mercury:

Contracts are under siege every where. yes, we can file a grievance, which will take a year, ALPA attorneys, several meeting, etc. to run it's course. In the end the company would grudingly agree that they violated the contract (assuming the mediator awarded the pilot). Then the company might give you an extra day off, over a year after the original violation.

The only--repeat ONLY, protections you have written in stone are the F-A-R's. And I have been pushed to violate these on several occaisons. A call to the union, and the FAA hotline have always made the company back down. Although you won't be "disciplined" for enforcing the FAR's, you can bet you will be punished. (I remeber being extended for SEVEN legs the day after I refused to fly past 16 hours.)

We CANNOT allow anyone to errode what minimal protections the FAR's provide.

MercuryPilot said:
If your airline tries to exploit this, can't you use your union for something productive like opting out of this concept?

Our contracts don't currently place limits on the amount of flying in a day because we never thought that another group of pilots would be dumb enough to push for something like this. Our contract at PCL simply states that the maximum flight time in a day will be no more that what the regs state. That means that if they company got an exemption using the JB exemption as a precedent, then I would be flying 9 leg days with 15.5 hours of duty. Screw that.

In order to stop something like this, we would have to expend negotiating capital to put an 8 hour limit in the contract. That means we would have to give up something else to get it (pay, rigs, vacation, etc...). I'm not willing to give up anything to negotiate a limit on flight time just because a bunch of morons at JB want to allow more flight time in day so the senior pilots can get 20 day off instead of 19.

JB pilots, for once in your lives think about how your actions are going to affect the rest of the industry. JB doesn't operate in a vacuum. What you do affects all of us. We don't have the happy-go-lucky management that you do. Our management will exploit this exemption to the utmost extent no matter how negatively it affects safety.

Palerider957 said:
You Jet Blue guys just don't seem to understand. Yes, you are talking about simple transcon flights with two legs. But this sets a PRECEDANT. One that EVERY OTHER AIRLINE will seek to exploit.

I have to think most of you came from another airline, this shoudln't be an alien concept to you.

As for the military pilots--THIS IS NOT ABOUT COMPLETING A MISSION OF NATIONAL SECURITY. This is about the company squeezing EVERY last penny out of you that they can.

Give me a couple of extra hours per day with a reduction of Duty hours (more productive) and more days off per month? Sign me up

None of us operate in a vaccum. This WILL ripple down through the industry.

Just as you can thank TWA/AA for the widespread use of 1113, this "exemption" WILL become the rule "because we have to compete".

Just as the 190 rates will be the standard for the other majors flying them, so will the WCT.TC

8 hour rule

Not arguing that the industry needs some changes, but I don't believe that changes in the flight duty time limits will make the industry anymore competitive. When you make changes on the cost side of the equation that can be imitatted by all the other airlines to one extent or another then there is no true savings. You may however reduce the safety of your operation. ie: Depart out of New york with a red eye on the return. Don't think the passengers would like to here of an operation that is based more on cost than safety. I'm not saying it can't be done, physically, but its definitely going to reduce the safety of the operation at the expense of Corporate cost savings. Who wins....?

InclusiveScope said:
What's wrong with doing something "new". This industry needs to change. The old way of doing business isn't working. I take it you are United. It probably wouldn't hurt United to adapt.

HNL turns

Hugh Jorgan said:
Keep playing that limbo song......as the bar goes lower....and lower.....and lower...and lower....

Just a guess but with the Duke in your profile I guess that you might be a HAL guy? If so, are you flying HNL mainland turns over there and if not, is it specifically prohibited in your contract? And, if you are doing them, are they going senior or junior?

scopeCMRandASA said:
Only a fool could not see that this opens the door for additional change. Congratulations.

If you can't see that "additional change" is necessary, then you my friend are the fool. You are one of those "status quo" folks who thinks the past way of doing things is the best way. Some of us prefer to think outside the box. You definately have potential up in Herndon.....

Latest resources

Back