Does JetBlue have career FO's?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guitar rocker said:
I would really like to know how an interviewer could justify their choice of candidate though....one with little time over so many with experience. If you cant see that, then you must be missing something up there.

Character, personality, knowledge, presentation, among other things are all part of the interview process, not just numbers on a resume. Experience isn't the only determining factor on getting the job. It would be quite easy to justify giving an applicant with less experience the job if that applicant was a better fit for the company and performed better in the interview and met the minimum requirements for the job, particularly since once the applicant gets the job he/she still has to successfully complete the training program.

There are plenty of highly experienced pilots who belong nowhere near a jet and there are plenty of less experienced pilots who could not only pass a checkride, but would make excellent captains one day.

FDJ2 said:
Character, personality, knowledge, presentation, among other things are all part of the interview process, not just numbers on a resume. Experience isn't the only determining factor on getting the job. It would be quite easy to justify giving an applicant with less experience the job if that applicant was a better fit for the company and performed better in the interview and met the minimum requirements for the job, particularly since once the applicant gets the job he/she still has to successfully complete the training program.

There are plenty of highly experienced pilots who belong nowhere near a jet and there are plenty of less experienced pilots who could not only pass a checkride, but would make excellent captains one day.

To an extent, I agree with what you said.

Remember all the "tell me about a time when..." questions that UAL had? Those types of questions were really aimed at a crew concept sort of answer and how you dealt with problems and with the input of others before making a decision. What was your worst emergency was a common question.....someone flying an RJ for example who had an emergency could talk about the complexity of the stuation and how he and the co-pilot dealt with the given circumstances. On the other hand, I cant help but wonder for someone who only had single engine recip time and just added a multi rating....how would they answer such a question? Perhaps a vacuum failure in VFR conditions or a rough running magneto maybe? Sure, it's all relative to the experience of an individual, but someone with little experience has a completely different answer than someone who is well seasoned and can share an experience that required another pilot and a flight attendant or two.

I don't think you do....

Guitar rocker said:
I simply know what the application called for.

A minor point really, but since you've seen to have appointed yourself as the know-it-all on this one, the app min was 350 hours not 250. Also, I believe that NW, AA, and TWA all either have or had some sort of internship program. You may now return to your regularly scheduled flightinfo merry go-round.

Marko Ramius said:
A minor point really, but since you've seen to have appointed yourself as the know-it-all on this one, the app min was 350 hours not 250. Also, I believe that NW, AA, and TWA all either have or had some sort of internship program. You may now return to your regularly scheduled flightinfo merry go-round.

Sorry to burst you bubble there, but it started out at 250TT and remained so until they decided to make it a bit more competetive and make it 350TT. If you had been around the block, you would have known that for some time.

You "believe" that the other airlines above had an internship? Believe? IS that all yah got? Where are your facts? Have or had? Which is it for you?

Look on the UAL seniorty list and look at some of the pilots born in the late 60's and hired late 80's early 90's. We are talking- born 1968 and hired in 1990 Age 22-. I could start posting names. But I could start listing senioity Numbers so you can look them up.
They had to change min. time to 1500 because IRO's needed an ATP and many new hires back then did not meet that requirement.
This type of hiring was forced on United due to lack of diversity in our pilot group by the courts. Our hiring changed in the late 90's when Nancy Stuke left.

Peace
Marty

Guitar rocker said:
I

MrFLYER, I wish that I would have recorded that event just for you and I would have proudly posted it right here.

Like I said, I am not bagging on the majority of people at UAL.....just the minority (no pun intended) and what happened there at Martin Luther King BLVD (where yah all did your hiring) and where so many good people who paid their dues got turned down to make way for the VERY less qualified....

Here is the million dollar question GT. Did you interview at UAL? This whole thing is sounding a bit like sour grapes. We have all met pilots from another carrier that we have thought, "what were they thinking". In your case people may even be saying that about you at your present job. I suppose you fly along telling others in your crew about your first hand knowledge of all things UAL and how YOU should have been hired. Perhaps you failed the personality portion of the interview, knowledge or could not do public math.

You don't like the name of the street the training center is located on? Take that up with the City of Denver. While you are at it find a city that does not have an MLK blvd.

Get over your rejection. How about the other companies that turned you down? What were the problems with them? Could not have been you.

While I don't agree with everything GT has said regarding UAL's hiring, he is right on a few accounts:

1-The app. mins were 250hrs TT with Comm/Inst/MEL. I know, 'cause I put in my original app. as soon as I made the mins. Didn't think I would get interviewed at the time, but I wanted a record of trying for when I was more competetive.

2-Updated every 6 months like clockwork. Again to show interest.

3-Fast-forward 10 years. Never hear a peep from UAL, still updating every 6 months, girlfriend at the time with half my time sends in 1 app, gets called 4 months later.(story ends well, I did marry her, and she did not get hired by UAL. She probably would still be furloughed right now).

4- in all this time, I NEVER even got a postcard saying 'thanks but no thanks'.

Overall, it just seems on the outside like something was just not right with UAL's hiring practices. But what do I know?

Peace.

Rekks

32LT10 said:
Who the hell is Bosley?
I'm your worst nightmare punk! But I can see in regular fashion you got yourself banned again! Glad to see the mods are doing their work!
Thanks mods, this POS needed to go!

FDJ2 said:

By that ratioinale, how did United decide who they would call? They (Mrs. Stuke) claimed to have the most un-biased method for selecting who to interview. Fill out the scantron, fill out the app, mail it in. The only thing on the scantron is SSN and and flight times, everything else is on the the app, race, sex, ect. The scantron goes one way, the app goes another, at least according to them. The app is never even looked at until the computer spits out the SSN of the person's scantron it has selected, supposedly.

When deciding who to select for interview, go to the computer with the scantron info for the most "qualified" people to call. If UAL (and Mrs. Stuke) wanted to make a claim that they interviewed/hired only people with the best experience, there is no way in hell that ALOT of people would have even ever been called just to interview.

No where on the scantron did it have a bubble to fill out for character, knowledge, presentation, attitude, ect. And since the scantron was how they picked candidates, how did somebody with alot less experience get called while people with thousands of hours PIC, multiple type ratings, check airman expericence, never heard the phone ring?

With over 10,000 apps on file, I seriously doubt that they would have had to start lowering their competitve hours requirement just to find somebody with the right attitude.

Now I agree, attitude and personality go along way in the cockpit. I just don't believe they picked canidates solely on experience level.

Last edited:
dojetdriver said:
No where on the scantron did it have a bubble to fill out for character, knowledge, presentation, attitude, ect.

We were discussing the interview, not the scantron.

Latest resources

Back