• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Does JetBlue have career FO's?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why do the United pilots get so sensative to what was so obvious with their hiring quotas and profiles in the past?

BECAUSE THAT IS A LOT OF BS!!! And I'm not talking about the way you spelled sensitive.

Ty, I know all about the intern program, but the only pilot I know who got hired with a couple hundred hours got hired about 50 years ago because NO ONE ELSE WAS APPLYING! I met lots of interns who were hoping they could do their time at a regional - several years of hard flying, and then get on at United. It doesn't surprise me you are still dogging on United - your're the one who posted a picture of a United plane "tanking" about a year or so after a couple friends of mine "tanked" on 11 Sep 2001.

I was an insider, I might know a little more than you. I was the second lowest guy in hours in my new hire class of 20 with about 3,200 hours. All male, all white, 75% ex-military. The guy with less hours than me was an Air Force Thunderbird. He didn't have any big airplane experience, but he could fly a little bit.

If you can give specific examples of people who got on with a few hundred hours and can't upgrade - DO IT!!! Post it and have some proof to back it up!!! I'd bet the mortgage the number of people who can't upgrade is a lot closer to 5 than 500.

I'll give a specific example - I flew with a 30 year old 737 Captain who was an intern. he got hired with a little over 2,000 hours and was one of the best pilots I've ever flown with. The only problem I see for him is staying focused because he is going to be in this game for a long time.

I say again - the people who perpetuate this BS have the need to feel superior to someone else, or didn't get hired and need someone to blame. Or, couldn't get one of those intern positions. To deny this is laughable.

So, what's the summary here? Do the majors no longer have the 'up or out' policy? If you can't upgrade to Captain, they just let you stay in the right seat for the rest of your career?

A good point.....

MRYFLYER said:
Why do the Airtran guys pretend like their company did not evolve from VJ?

I don't think anyone pretends anything. The point I have always had is that the Valujet reference is ALWAYS associated with someone on these forums looking to hurt and insult. Why doesn't anyone ever bring up the association of AirTran with the ORIGINAL AirTran Airways.... (you know.... the airline whose name and operating certificate we operate under)?? I'll tell you why....... people don't mention that because there is nothing deragatory or insulting there.... so its not insulting enough..... so they conveniently omit that connection.

The FACT is that the HUGE majority of Pilots at AirTran NEVER worked for Valujet. In fact there is NOTHING at AirTran right now that is even associated with the now defunct Valujet (management, Aircraft, fare structure, routes). Valujet is a company that is long gone. I couldn't care less about the association of AirTran and Valujet. I do however care about people and there insulting unprofessional demeanors when they cower behind their keyboards anonymously saying things that they would NEVER say to ones face. (i.e. using an aircraft accident with fatalities as some sort of insult). I don't do that and wouldn't do that, and don't tolerate people that stoop to the lowest level.

As far as United.... in the late 90's Pilots of all types would give their left arm to work there. United's ranks are filled with saome of the most experienced Pilots in the world.... period. Pilots everywhere owe them for the indusrty leading contract that they were able to obtain.... even if it wasn't sustainable.... it gives some sort of reference of what Industry leaders means.

To deny any of this is ridiculous and insulting to anyone with any sort of industry knowledge. If you read Skykids post above... it sums it up so accurately.

Ciao!

As far as United.... in the late 90's Pilots of all types would give their left arm to work there. United's ranks are filled with saome of the most experienced Pilots in the world.... period.

You are correct sir. When I worked there I was humbled by some of the resumes of the guys in the seat next to me. If the BS these idiots were slinging was true, you would be able to look at the safety record at United and validate it. Truth is, United has a great safety record. I love the way these guys with no actual knowledge of anything going on there are willing to spew their version of what they heard or or wanted to hear from the outside.

All right I'll agree with that. It just seems that sometimes there are those at United that pretend that these hiringpractices either didn't not exist or they minimize it greatly.

Where do you get your information? How many times have you walked into United Ops in ORD and looked at all the folks in there?

I don't deny that United had an intern program. A handful of motivated pilots used that program to get hired with 2,000 hours instead of 3,000 or more. GOOD FOR THEM!!! Wish I'd been that smart. If it makes you feel better to believe United hired a bunch of folks with only C150 time, believe it - whatever gets you through the day.

I met a guy when I was in the process of getting hired at United that didn't know I had anything to do with the company. He referred to United as "Yo-nited." When I asked about what that meant, he said Yo-nited was only interested in hiring a certain type of person. Come to find out, he had his application in for years and wasn't getting called. Had to be somebody else's fault, huh. Sound familiar?

Skykid,

You hit the nail on the head. Too many feel they were not hired at UAL because UAL was hiring "others". However, when you look at the group that makes up the major hiring portion of the late 80's early 90's most are avg. white males. However, that does not justify their arguement that it was somebody elses fault they were hired.

I recently had an ex millitary academy F/O that was hired in the early 90's. He was turned down his first time through the process and after spending several days in close company with this gentleman I believe I understand why he was not hire the first time he interviewed. While he was an excellent stick and rudder guy his attitude and demeanor did not convey well. Did the interviewer see this same thing the first time he tried?

Malcolm said:
As far as United.... in the late 90's Pilots of all types would give their left arm to work there. United's ranks are filled with saome of the most experienced Pilots in the world.... period. Pilots everywhere owe them for the indusrty leading contract that they were able to obtain.... even if it wasn't sustainable.... it gives some sort of reference of what Industry leaders means.

To deny any of this is ridiculous and insulting to anyone with any sort of industry knowledge. If you read Skykids post above... it sums it up so accurately.

Ciao!

Most experienced in the world? What? Are you kidding me?

What other major US airline had a college intern program like that of UAL? Or hired minorities over a law suit that UAL lost? Or had minimums on their application looking for 250TT with no turbine/PIC required?

I know that UAL hired some pretty good folks too, dont get me wrong there and yes, there are some really good guys there as well. But as an example, I flew in the JS on a 727 from ORF-ORD about 8 years ago or so. The co-pilot did not know how to get pick up the clnc to ORD and the cptn had to take care of it. It blew me away....and no, it's no joke. Doesnt matter what race or minority the person was, it's just that how could we say that such an individual was experienced? Another chk I know got hired at UAL with 800TT and 15 multi.....how is that fair to place an individual with that type of experience in a 727 with 150 people in the back? If the public only knew who was up front there in some cases. Was airlining on an A320 from IAD to BOS....co-pilots english was NOT good at all. I decided to listen to your channel 5 is it? Oh boy, that was so embarrassing.....I have never heard a controller chew out a pilot quite like that but he was really screwed up.He actually did the PA and that is what made me want to actually listen to that ATC channel. Was terrible.

I really wouldnt say that UAL has the most experienced pilots out there based on the above.

[
I really wouldnt say that UAL has the most experienced pilots out there based on the above.[/quote]

Please tell me your kidding? You actually think people believe your jumpseat "stories' and it some how validates your thesis above?

Guitar rocker said:
But as an example, I flew in the JS on a 727 from ORF-ORD about 8 years ago or so. The co-pilot did not know how to get pick up the clnc to ORD and the cptn had to take care of it.

We have been using PDC for well over 15 years at ORD. At 8 years ago the 727's all had the newer touch screen ACARS so that means the S/O was the person getting the clearance from the box and not a radio. So as they say on Mythbusters.....Busted!

Latest resources

Back