Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MRYFLYER said:
Guitar rocker said:
32L, those are just some examples of folks that got hired over other great candidates that were found not to be qualified. Like I said, I could care less that I am not at UAL........../quote]

GT,

What is a qualified pilot? At what time frame should a pilot be hired? Did you apply prior to achieving a magic number in your logbook? I will share my thoughts, an ATP should be a minimum based on the enviroment that exist today and has existed for many years. However, when I was hired I flew with many pilots that were recruited by UAL without any previous experience. When were these guys hired? 80's or 90's? Nope they were hired in the mid century and called Tracy's Aces. These pilots were all school teachers and various other professionals that were recruited based on the stanine.

The hiring requirments have fluctuated over the years much like the stock market. You say UAL did not hire other qualified pilots. Sure there are many qualified pilots but there are only so many people that will be hired at any given place. Maybe when they start hiring again next year you can reapply. If you want to forward a resume I will make sure it gets routed to the appropriate source.

32L, I guess we could say that in the case of UAL, a qualified pilot would be one with 350TT as that is what the application called for at the time. A qualified applicant at Fedex would be someone with 1000 PIC turbine time, as that is their requirement for a candidate.

UAL did hire some great guys that I knew and they deserved it....and I am very happy for them. There are some others that were great too which didnt make it.....I wasnt a fly on the wall to see what happened with those guys though during the interview process.......many times we do assume that a minority candidate was chosen over a more qualified individual. Perhaps that would have been the case or perhaps he/she just blew the interview.

Anyway, thanks for the offer..........I'm too old though.....getting close to fiber/geritols and I cant give up my current seniority. GR

Latest resources

Back