• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DHL in talks to sell US Unit to FDX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
my wife's second cousins husband's daughter's boyfriends mom who was at walmart said she heard from her great uncles best friend who works at generations that he saw a fedex truck in ILN yesterday.... but im guessing what we all really want is jurassic jet to post another reply so we can all admire the avatar!!:beer:
I heard your daughter's brother's aunt is hot and you hooked up with her. Dude, that's your sister.

Ladies and gentlemen,

You have below you a fine example of the reason DHL and ABX never got along.

In the end, ABX might just have the opportunity to once again show us all hown it should be done....only without DHL's money.

So nice of you to acknowledge you don't know how to make money in the US market.

The idea to move all in one weekend just before the holiday rush was not ABX's. They recommended against it, but did their best to make it work when ordered to proceed.

BTW, the hub worked fine for Airborne. I wonder what changed? Oh, DHL came to town with Astar.

Got a newsflash for you bud. ABX is a fully independant airline. The ACMI and US law make it so. The ACMI is a contract, binding on both parties, as is the Hub Service agreement. ABX will do it as DHL asks, but when DHL was about to step on a turd ABX tried to let them know. Oh well, I guess the old saying "No good deed goes unpunished." is true after all.

Yep, they provided the maximum help they could in aiding the loss of all those billions of dollars.

That will spell the rapid and inevitable demise of DHL in the US unless the whoever operates the US domestic business for DHL retains the DHL brand name. Somehow I doubt Fedex will be willing to do that. There is no good reason why they should.

If this actually occurs I hope you have a plan for finding a new job. You'll need it. Fedex and UPS will eat DHL alive in a matter of years.[/quote]

Ladies and gentlemen,

In the end, ABX might just have the opportunity to once again show us all hown it should be done....only without DHL's money.

If this actually occurs I hope you have a plan for finding a new job. You'll need it. Fedex and UPS will eat DHL alive in a matter of years.
[/quote]

I think what you see there is called conditioning. It is a result of what TWA pointed out earlier.

2. I don't blame ABX for not bending over to DHL like daz has. They were treated like the red headed step child from day 1, and have responded accordingly.

DHL is just doing what you just did. Point and say look what they do. It's like the guy who hits his dog every time he walks by. When he walks by one time and the dog bites his butt he blames the dog for biting his "master". Thats just BS AV8OR, and you know it.

Soon...to fill the empty FO slots in HKG and CDG...
Boy I hope so. I was pretty close to getting a meet-n-greet until the age 65 thing happened. I've just been treading water & hoping at my current job until hiring cranks up again. Starting to get impatient cause I'm gettin old!

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
Ladies and gentlemen,

If this actually occurs I hope you have a plan for finding a new job. You'll need it. Fedex and UPS will eat DHL alive in a matter of years.
[/quote]

Ahhh AV8OR, I really don't have the time or inclination to write a post refuting you in detail right now. Suffice it to say you don't have clue.

Regardless of what I may think or post here, my job is to get my aircraft to it's intended destination within the :15 of scheduled arrival time allowed by my employers ACMI exclusive of certain events beyond my employers control. BTW, that's on the same day it was scheduled to arrive at the destination. This I do on a routine basis, and I take considerable personal and professional pride in doing so.

Last edited:
"Regardless of what I may think or post here, my job is to get my aircraft to it's intended destination within the :15 of scheduled arrival time allowed by my employers ACMI exclusive of certain events beyond my employers control. BTW, that's on the same day it was scheduled to arrive at the destination. This I do on a routine basis, and I take considerable personal and professional pride in doing so."

I don't doubt that one bit.....seriously.

Our ACMI allows us to just "get it there within the same business day". AV8OR, are they mailing the performance bonuses if you can't get by the CP's office?

Erichardonman

Let me break it down for you nice and easy:

The idea to move all in one weekend just before the holiday rush was not ABX's. They recommended against it, but did their best to make it work when ordered to proceed.

BTW, the hub worked fine for Airborne. I wonder what changed? Oh, DHL came to town with Astar.

First of all, we're very much aware that the ILN start-up was cluster fcuked to the nth degree, and all parties made monumental mistakes. One major hurdle was (and still is) lack of qualified manpower. This was, and is, an ABX problem. There were many other failures which you can lay at the door of DHL, mainly an over-ambitious schdule.

But you cannot compare the old ABX products to those offered by DHL, and stating that it worked in the olden days is not a valid argument. The world went and changed on ABX, but ABX kept sticking to their old methods which became, and still are, obsolete.

Got a newsflash for you bud. ABX is a fully independant airline. The ACMI and US law make it so. The ACMI is a contract, binding on both parties, as is the Hub Service agreement. ABX will do it as DHL asks, but when DHL was about to step on a turd ABX tried to let them know. Oh well, I guess the old saying "No good deed goes unpunished." is true after all.

I cannot remember ABX doing any good dead in the relationship with DHL, but that's not the point. Yes, by law ABX is supposed to have its indendence. Just like ASTAR. But I've go a newsflash for you, what do you think would happen if DHL told ABX to bugger off? ABX is not supposed to run anything, they're supposed to jump when asked to do so - and that's it - we should not be allowing the tail to wag the dog.

Yep, they provided the maximum help they could in aiding the loss of all those billions of dollars

Well, ASTAR has a lower cost base than ABX as the bills are settled differently. ABX asked for, and got, a very sweet deal - one that could be abused by corrupt management. Suffice to say that ABX management took greater care in maximizing their bonuses than looking out for the general well-being of their customer (without whom, we have already established, they'd be confined to the history books).

If this actually occurs I hope you have a plan for finding a new job. You'll need it. Fedex and UPS will eat DHL alive in a matter of years

Here's a newsflash for you: There is a world outside the United States. I know, I know, it's hard to belive. Furthermore, DHL generates less than 15% of revenue from the US operation, more than half of which is import TO the US. You might also like to known that on a world-wide basis DHL commands roughly 50% of the world market. Last but not least, the yields in the US market are amongst the lowest in the world. Ipso facto, moving out of the US domestic will not spell the end of DHL. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Box hauler

You show your lack of understanding the difference between US and Europe by stating that customers will only us DHL for international. As Shooter explained that will not happen. We as a country want everything in a one stop shop (Wal-Mart). We will not go to DHL to ship international when FedUPS will do it for us. I will say it again. If DHL does not service every city in the U.S. somehow, they will be gone world wide in 5 years.

That is very far from being the truth. We work with several clients in the US who utilise the services of DHL on selected markets only. Could be because we are the only ones who serve that market at times that fit the client, could be because we're cheaper. Likewise, major clients of DHL are also using FedEx, UPS or TNT for the same reasons as above.

US companies are not more ignorant than other companies, and the logistics process is a tad more complicated than shopping at Wal-Mart.

You try book a shipment with FedEx or UPS to Kabul, Kandahar, Fallujah or Mosul and tell me how it went.

As the US market (excluding import) only accounts for around 7-8% of revenue, I think we'll be able to survive. Like I told Eric, there is a mighty big world outside the US and that just happens to be the part where DHL is much, much larger than FedEx, UPS and TNT - roughly the same size as those 3 combined. Looking to the future, it lies in Asia-Asia, Europe-Asia, US-Asia, Africa-Asia and Europe-Asia - in that order. And guess what, we're perfectly positioned for that.

You don't really know a whole lot about international logistics, do you?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back