• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DHL in talks to sell US Unit to FDX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The only one who could make this work is ABX. FDX would rather watch DHL destroy itself than spend money helping them, besides FDX is out of money. ABX now has enough lift and moved more freight than this on time! ( I am talking about express freight by 1030 am next day. )

out of money????? we were the target of a buyout earlier in the year by icahn and his cronies because we were going to reinvest 70% of $3.5 billion in capital spending this year aimed at expansion...he was going to pocket that money and leave the company the way it was...there is plenty on purple money around!

About 70 percent of FedEx's $3.5 billion in planned capital spending this year is aimed at expansion, according to the article.

It was just a dream.

Cornfield personnel can now safely exit their trenches, the all-clear has sounded, the Big Bad Wolf rumor was simply that.

There really should be law against it though. Life in the cornfield was never actually outstanding but it was better than working for a living. German ambition spoilt the 20th century (twice) for everyone, they seem hell bent on continuing that tradition in the 21st.

The latest.

DPWN denies that it is in talks to sell DHL to FedEx. The unsubstantiated reports were printed Thursday in Financial Times Deutschland.

Our sources have said that the rumors are simply the result of financial analyst “shop talk,” following DPWN’s recently announced plans to restructure DHL Express’s finances in the United States.

DHL spokesman Jonathan Baker was quoted in the Memphis Business Journal today saying, “There is no question about our exiting the U.S. business, a withdrawal can be completely ruled out."

The Executive Board has been in contact with every source available to determine the likelihood of such a scenario, and has been reassured that there is nothing to the FedEx and DHL partnership speculation. This is reminiscent of the rumors from last fall, when the false suggestion that UPS was buying DHL circulated.

Last edited:
WOW Euro
Nice Avatar - I guess I'm a leg man!!! I'm not sure I'll be the same for a while.

Now, what were we talking about?

out of money????? we were the target of a buyout earlier in the year by icahn and his cronies because we were going to reinvest 70% of $3.5 billion in capital spending this year aimed at expansion...he was going to pocket that money and leave the company the way it was...there is plenty on purple money around!

About 70 percent of FedEx's $3.5 billion in planned capital spending this year is aimed at expansion, according to the article.
Any rumors about when Big purple's going to start hiring again?

EuroWhiner

We've been bleeding Dollars by the billions over the years in the US market. The purchase of ABX was supposed to turn the tide, but sadly no substantial improvment was achieved.

So nice of you to acknowledge you don't know how to make money in the US market.

It is also worth nothing (sp?)that whilst ABX (Ground) have contributed to the DHL family, ABX (Air) have always been a problem child, and I'm not only thinking about the disaster that was (and to a degree still is) the ILN Hub.

The idea to move all in one weekend just before the holiday rush was not ABX's. They recommended against it, but did their best to make it work when ordered to proceed.

BTW, the hub worked fine for Airborne. I wonder what changed? Oh, DHL came to town with Astar.

Integrating ABX is a major headache; somehow the top boffins in ABX still think they are a fully independent airline (which is true only on paper) and can run the show they way they like. There is a large amount of animosity towards ABX (Air) in the global HQ.

Got a newsflash for you bud. ABX is a fully independant airline. The ACMI and US law make it so. The ACMI is a contract, binding on both parties, as is the Hub Service agreement. ABX will do it as DHL asks, but when DHL was about to step on a turd ABX tried to let them know. Oh well, I guess the old saying "No good deed goes unpunished." is true after all.

ASTAR, on the other hand, has for the last few years only been a positive experience.

Yep, they provided the maximum help they could in aiding the loss of all those billions of dollars.

It would not come as any surprise to those of us who work with DHL on the eastern side of the great salty divide to see DPWN spin-off the US domestice part of the DHL business, as this is the area that has resulted in DHL posting negative results for years. There will still be a DHL presence in the US, but only for international shipments.

That will spell the rapid and inevitable demise of DHL in the US unless the whoever operates the US domestic business for DHL retains the DHL brand name. Somehow I doubt Fedex will be willing to do that. There is no good reason why they should. [/quote]

By eliminating the US domestic business we can, hopefully, also rid ourselves of ABX. If the sell goes through, I predict ASTAR will be tasked with doing the international flying to North, Central and South America from the US.

Longhaul flying will, most likely, be performed by LH Cargo, Polar, DHL Air or EAT (the forthcoming 767 operation) and Newco (the forthcoming 777 operation based in LEJ).

If this actually occurs I hope you have a plan for finding a new job. You'll need it. Fedex and UPS will eat DHL alive in a matter of years.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back