DHL in talks to sell US Unit to FDX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Euro,

Could you elaborate a little more on how ABX was and is the problem child?

It seems he has bone to pick with ABX, eh? I am still waiting for a wager on his prediction that DHL will be US International only. There is no way DHL would commit that kind of suicide. They may not deliver it, ABX may not fly it, Astar may not fly it, it may not go through a sort in ILN, but it will always be a DHL product. He is NUTS :nuts: .

Shooter

No, no and no - I don't gamble ;)

You are correct on my feelings about ABX though, I detest their management with a vengence.

TWA

There are many issues, the vast majority of which I'm not privy to - I only get to hear the rumours and moaning in the Tower of Power (BRU HQ). What I do know is as follows:

- ILN Hub. A disaster from the start, getting better but still crap. Lack of commitment from ABX management to solve the issues.

- Alignment of procedures. The rest of the world (including ASTAR) pretty much run the show according to the same SOPs (talking ground handling here). There are obvioiusly regional variations, but by and large we're all singing from the same sheet. Except ABX, and that is a major headache.

- Systems, equipment. As an example, ABX were offered the Sable W&B software free of charge. Sable is probably the most advanced W&B software in the world. But ABX managed to design a test where Sable stood no chance of competing against the legacy system - a legacy system that works fine when you're loading the phoneboot size bins on DC9s, but is at a total an utter loss when dealing with A-cans and wide-bodies aeroplanes. A very frustrating experience.

- Lack of cooperation. Most airlines operating for DHL has some sort of cooperation. We frequently talk to the senior bods at EAT, LHC, ASTAR, WOA etc etc etc. But ABX? Nope, they are fully intent of going it their own way, seemingly oblivious to the fact that they are but a small part of a world-wide operation. The arrogance displayed by what is, in essence, nothing but an ACMI provider is baffling. We get better cooperation from Kalitta for crying out loud!

Shooter

Fact remain that the US domestic operation is costing DHL roughly a billion dollar every year. This has been a problem for years, and apparently one that DHL has been unable to overcome. In that situation there are really only 2 options - shut the loss-making parts down or continue to loose vast amounts of cash.

We still need to service the US, but for international clients only. Please keep in mind that, EBITA wise, the US intl. operation is not a major earner for DHL. The reason we have to continue serving the US is because our intl. customers demands that we do so.

Shooter

Fact remain that the US domestic operation is costing DHL roughly a billion dollar every year. This has been a problem for years, and apparently one that DHL has been unable to overcome. In that situation there are really only 2 options - shut the loss-making parts down or continue to loose vast amounts of cash.

We still need to service the US, but for international clients only. Please keep in mind that, EBITA wise, the US intl. operation is not a major earner for DHL. The reason we have to continue serving the US is because our intl. customers demands that we do so.

You could not be more wrong. If you think DHL will go to a client like IBM, or Microsoft and tell them that they will take their package to Paris, but they need to find another shipper for their package to Kansas City, I can guarantee DHL will have no US business at all. That may be how Europe does it but we just dont roll like that here in the States. With UPS and FedEx here they will eat DHL for lunch. They need to offer the customer the entire service product range or there will not be a customer to serve. And you can take that to the bank.

p.s. you are correct that DHL is bleeding money here in the US. And if you look at DHL history they have always lost money here in the US. Does that not make a little bell in your head start to ring that the something that is wrong with the US business model has ALWAYS been wrong with the US model? That problem was around well before the purchase of Airborne Express.

Last edited:
We've been bleeding Dollars by the billions over the years in the US market. The purchase of ABX was supposed to turn the tide, but sadly no substantial improvment was achieved.
I wasn't in the board room when the decision to buy ABX was made, but I think the idea was to give DHL more presence in the US market. At the time, DHL could get something from NYC to the hinterlands of Asia, but not from Montezuma, Iowa to London. The purchase of ABX was supposed to fix that, and might have, had DHL been willing to make the financial committment to building a reputation for service in this country. Instead, they tried to do it "on the cheap" and it hasn't worked out for them. Anybody working in flt ops has seen numerous examples of it on the line, but unfortunately, that's just the tip of the iceberg. Poor management abounds throughout DHL and it's affiliated companies.

UPS and FedEx both lost billions building their international business, as has DHL in trying to build their domestic business. The difference is that UPS and FedEx stuck it out, while DHL appears to be throwing in the towel.

A couple things about ILN/ABX.

1. The sort worked fine before DHL showed up. Doesn't sounds like an ABX problem to me.

2. I don't blame ABX for not bending over to DHL like daz has. They were treated like the red headed step child from day 1, and have responded accordingly.

ABX had a delivery system in the US that worked. Just because it wasn't the way Astar/DHL was doing things doesn't mean it was wrong. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Euro,
You show your lack of understanding the difference between US and Europe by stating that customers will only us DHL for international. As Shooter explained that will not happen. We as a country want everything in a one stop shop (Wal-Mart). We will not go to DHL to ship international when FedUPS will do it for us. I will say it again. If DHL does not service every city in the U.S. somehow, they will be gone world wide in 5 years.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back