• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DHL in talks to sell US Unit to FDX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think he meant everyone will be getting a new date of hire when they find a new job.:(

(I know what he meant, but my statement is more reality)

Yeah. If that happens, your right JJ. I'm taking my DC8 to SDF tonight and claiming sanctuary. It works in the movies, right?? :(

Yeah. If that happens, your right JJ. I'm taking my DC8 to SDF tonight and claiming sanctuary. It works in the movies, right?? :(

The only one who could make this work is ABX. FDX would rather watch DHL destroy itself than spend money helping them, besides FDX is out of money. ABX now has enough lift and moved more freight than this on time! ( I am talking about express freight by 1030 am next day. )

From Air Cargo World

DP to Sell DHL to FedEx: Report
Deutsche Post World Net plans to sell DHL to Fedex and talks are underway, according to a report in the Financial Times Deutschland, which quoted sources familiar with the matter.
The paper quotes a manager within the company as saying that Deutsche Post CEO Klaus Zumwinkel "wants to leave the company in a clean condition" when he retires in November.
Officials at Deutsche Post and FedEx refused to comment on what they described as rumors or speculation.
Financial investment analysts project DHL may lose up to $900 million this year in the United States, where the company has struggled to mount a challenge to UPS and FedEx in the domestic parcel and express market. Deutsche Post said Wednesday it will take an $874 million writedown of the company's value.
Among other internal problems, DHL last week announced layoffs in Germany and this week moved to demand a $93 million payment from its less than friendly ally ABX Air. Michael Fabey
Traffic World

Last edited:
This is just a news article. It is not a press release from DP, so it's a bunch of speculation. DP's CFO said just earlier in the week an out right sale of DHL USA is very very unlikely. Plus what would the investors think about selling an ailing portion of the business to a competitor that will more than likely slit your throat when you are not looking for pennies on the dollar? What of the DHL commitment to Ohio with the new by-passes being cut in and tax breaks they have for jobs? You think that is just wipped away by selling a business off? While all of this doom and gloom could play out the way many are seeing it, I find it highly unlikely. There may be a business arrangement with Fedex coming but does it not make more sense for that to be a delivery network? I mean look at the USPS when they sold off their express packages to be flown of Fedex. Christmas packages sat on ramps until January in favor of Fedex customers. Don't you think DHL packages and customers would suffer the same fate? It would be a death blow to DHL in a matter of time. Of course this is all wishful thinking on my part because of all the ILN jobs at stake, but it does not make sense that DP would do that.

My prediction: Fedex and DHL strike a joint delivery agreement where each will deliver packages in their respective countries while they will still be responsible for selling/sorting/delivering packages to the others stations. i.e. ILN will stay the same but who picks up the packages and drops off the packages at the outstations change to Fedex.

(I'm a sucker for hope)

Latest resources

Back