• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DHL in talks to sell US Unit to FDX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thank god they do not allow smoking at BW3 anymore. Saves me from washing my clothes when I come home from there.

We disagree over what Sable can and cannot do. Fair enough, time will tell.

Besides, since the head boffins has told us they ain't going to sell DHL US to anybody, this thread may have run its course.

Then I'd buy you a beer! Yes, I'm in ILN around April/May. Do they still allow smoking at the Buffalo Wild Wings?

If I am still here in April/May I will buy the beer. I don't know about Buffalo Wild Wings I have never been there. But Ohio passed a state law to ban smoking in all public places including bars, so I am in the middle of quitting. Going into my 3rd month and its been a bear!

Euro,
Maybe not so much disagree, just different view points. If the same Mickey D Big Mac sells in every market, then great. Sell it! However if you have a desire to grow in a town that prefers chicken nuggets and you buy a restaurant that specializes in chicken nuggets, then why not let them sell the dang chicken nuggets instead of trying to force feed the big mac. Thats where we say that ABX had a system that was working and there was no real need to change it. If it had worked, then great. But it didn't.

...since the head boffins has told us they ain't going to sell DHL US to anybody, this thread may have run its course.
The "head boffins" haven't denied speaking to FedEx. That alone should raise some alarms.

What do you think the reason for those talks might have been? Is it possible that;
  1. They want to establish a "fair pricing" agreement that would allow them both to make a profit on International shipments?
  2. Is DHL consulting with FedEx on ways to make their own U.S. operations profitable?
  3. Does DHL want to buy FedEx's U.S. operation to support their International services?
  4. Does Klaus Zumwinkle think Fred Smith is "kinda cute" and wants to, you know...just see what's up with him and whether he'd like to go see a live performance of "Cabaret" at Bar jeder Vernunft?

McDonalds has been successful throughout the world for the exact reason DHL isn't successful in the US, they adapt to the market they are entering. If you go to a McDonalds in Japan or Australia, you will see some things on the menu that would be absolutly unheard of in the US.

Throughout the rest of the world, you pay for an overnight shipment and expect it to be there within two weeks. In the US, when we pay for overnight we expect overnight! For some reasons the Germans can't accept the fact that we Americans expect what we are paying for.

As far as the ILN hub goes, if one shows up expecting a bad experience, they will more than likely notice all of the bad and none of the good. Try looking at it with an open mind.

If the Germans in charge of DHL have such high standards, for sure they fired all of the people in Milwaukee, right??? High standards my a$$, you would never expect that from an American company like UPS or Fedex. It didn't seem to even phase the higher ups at DHL.

Keep wippin your ass with that American dollar, because if we go down we're takin the rest of the world with us. Hell, the European markets went into a nose dive a few weeks ago on a US holiday over speculation of the US market. Just remember that when you run out of dollars, Euros have greater surface area. Cheers:beer:

In explaining the US losses a while back, Dr. Z. admitted they had "underestimated the demands of the American consumer", but they did not then rise to meet those demands once they were aware.

"I take serious offence to being called French. I shall therefore refer to you as being a Canadian. French Canadian even."

LOL....dude that's funny right there.

Had a talk with a very senior DHL person over beers on Friday. Whilst he couldn't, or wouldn't, be very precise he mentioned the following options:

1) DHL pulls out of NA all together.

2) DHL sells the NA domestic operation to another operator (i.e. FedEx)

3) DHL sells the NA domestic operation to FX and FX sells the EU operation to DHL

4) DHL "pulls a FedEx" and decides to service only major business areas in NA.

5) OPS normal, as far as operations goes, but with major contractual changes (ABX is presently being paid cost +X for every flight performed for DHL).

1 and 3 seems the least likely, but I've no idea which way the tide will turn.

Latest plans will see my sorry self amongst the corn fields in mid May. If that's firmed up, suggest you'll allow me to take whomever fancies going out for a couple of brews and a meal on the expense account. I can smoke outside in May ;)

Had a talk with a very senior DHL person over beers on Friday. Whilst he couldn't, or wouldn't, be very precise he mentioned the following options:

1) DHL pulls out of NA all together.

2) DHL sells the NA domestic operation to another operator (i.e. FedEx)

3) DHL sells the NA domestic operation to FX and FX sells the EU operation to DHL

5) OPS normal, as far as operations goes, but with major contractual changes (ABX is presently being paid cost +X for every flight performed for DHL).

1 and 3 seems the least likely, but I've no idea which way the tide will turn.

Latest plans will see my sorry self amongst the corn fields in mid May. If that's firmed up, suggest you'll allow me to take whomever fancies going out for a couple of brews and a meal on the expense account. I can smoke outside in May ;)

Not that any of us have a say in the matter, but for the sake of the jobs in ILN I like #4. All major markets served by DHL delivery workers and rural areas served by the @home product.

Thanks for the input. Our rumor mill needs EU fodder to remain viable for longer periods. But if it has not been debunked and lasting greater than 4 hours, whether painful or not, should seek immediate emergency medical attention.

These are the two that I hear the most being batted around (Selective hearing maybe??) As for #5, we over at Bldg 11 are in the same "cost +" boat"

EW, So you're going to be exposed to the Glycol tainted water here. What did you do or who did you do it to that got you TDY in ILN?

FAJ

Latest resources

Back