• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Delta's ANC base done in DEC

clippyrip

Total Time
It's official, management had an impromptu town hall meeting in AK this week and ANC is done in Dec.

General Lee

Total Time
A lot
It's official, management had an impromptu town hall meeting in AK this week and ANC is done in Dec.

That does suk. I was told by an FAA type last week that DL was maybe reconsidering that move.

Bye Bye--General Lee

clippyrip

Total Time
Just spoke with the Chief pilot today and that was the latest. If there is a chance I will hold onto it like a kid with a lollipop from the fair but this news makes my grip weak.

The writing on the wall comes in the form of manuals. All the fleet departments are busting tail to transition the manuals to the Delta format and there is not a peep in the 747-200 department about it. I think that says it all.

Last edited:

Singlecoil

I don't reMember
Total Time
I saw a Delta painted 757 with winglets in ANC today and the tail number ended in NW. Amazing stuff.

Tanker Clown

KC-10 IP
Total Time
1700+
Looks like the writing is on the wall. When is the bad news going to start going out to the junior guys. My buddy is a very junior Delta guy. He says he thinks he'll be on the street by the end of the year.

FBN0223

Total Time
Furloughs are coming but not until after the SOC.

At the very least, it would be nice to ALPA renegotiate pay rates on the EMB175 to give Delta pilots credit for longevity. The pay difference for Capt. on the EMB175 is significant, from $60/hr to around 80/hr for those who have 8-10 years.

767/757

Total Time
9,000+
Just spoke with the Chief pilot today and that was the latest. If there is a chance I will hold onto it like a kid with a lollipop from the fair but this news makes my grip weak.

The writing on the wall comes in the form of manuals. All the fleet departments are busting tail to transition the manuals to the Delta format and there is not a peep in the 747-200 department about it. I think that says it all.

Are not the 74-200 flying Mil charter for the next 12 months?

Tanker Clown

KC-10 IP
Total Time
1700+
From what I'm hearing, Furloughs are pretty much a certainty at the Big D. A new round of airline Ch 11 filings are about to start as well. Good luck guys.

EMBpilot

Total Time
~14K
Delta needs Narita slots for more lucrative pax operation.
Cargo could be spooled up fast later if needed.

ACL65PILOT

Total Time
9000+
DAL is focusing on under wing cargo. We will have the option to convert the 744's to freighters down the road, but for now we are happy with how our new cargo venture is working.

clippyrip

Total Time
Are not the 74-200 flying Mil charter for the next 12 months?

That will fit in with closing down the 747-200 in Dec from what I am told. I am also speaking about the ANC base and the freighters. The two pax planes in MSP may go a bit longer but it's not for sure. I think the ultimate intent is to have it done before SOC.

Last edited:

FDJ2

Total Time
10000+
I think the ultimate intent is to have it done before SOC.

DAL won't spend the money putting 747-200s on the certificate, so the 747-200 operation should close down prior to SOC. The freight operation is losing boot loads of money.

In general, the 747's time has come and gone, the 400 will stay a little longer.

ImbracableCrunk

Unregistered Un-User
Total Time
6AM
This is probably just incidental, but I've also heard rumor that Alaska will be starting an ANC-MSP route. I guess that would fit in with the plans to close the base.

Sorry, guys. Good luck.

Fly4hire

Total Time
lots
DAL won't spend the money putting 747-200s on the certificate, so the 747-200 operation should close down prior to SOC. The freight operation is losing boot loads of money.

In general, the 747's time has come and gone, the 400 will stay a little longer.

The base may be closing in DEC, not so sure the 742 - if there are contracts to be flown that make money it will keep flying, but perhaps based elsewhere. Regardless the acft will not disappear until post SOC so they can absorb the ~150 pilots left across a larger fleet so as to minimize staffing impact....

contrail67

Total Time
From what I'm hearing, Furloughs are pretty much a certainty at the Big D. A new round of airline Ch 11 filings are about to start as well. Good luck guys.

And what is your source for saying that a new round of Ch11 filings are in the works?

Fubijaakr

Seniority is Forever
Total Time
Enough
They'll get their ANC base back when the AS/DL merger goes through.

General Lee

Total Time
A lot
The base may be closing in DEC, not so sure the 742 - if there are contracts to be flown that make money it will keep flying, but perhaps based elsewhere. Regardless the acft will not disappear until post SOC so they can absorb the ~150 pilots left across a larger fleet so as to minimize staffing impact....

If a displacement happens prior to SOC, then FNWA pilots will be affected. There would likely be a displacement bid well before the actual base closing. If any 742s do remain, my guess would be they would be a part of the MSP 742 base, flying those MAC contracts.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited: