• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta's ANC base done in DEC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If a displacement happens prior to SOC, then FNWA pilots will be affected. There would likely be a displacement bid well before the actual base closing. If any 742s do remain, my guess would be they would be a part of the MSP 742 base, flying those MAC contracts.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Question is, if the MAC thing stays lucrative (it is very lucrative at the moment), and ANC closes, how difficult would it be to throw seats into a few of the freighters? Any airplane can be profitable if the government is paying the bill (for now, at least...)

Well I heard from a friends neighbors ex-wifes hairdresser that the Anc cargo ops manager....she type....that sold her house in Anchorage in December and bought in Seattle in anticapation of the anc shutdown/move to sea ops! and ya know, if the hairdresser told ya it be da truth!!!

Well I heard from a friends neighbors ex-wifes hairdresser that the Anc cargo ops manager....she type....that sold her house in Anchorage in December and bought in Seattle in anticapation of the anc shutdown/move to sea ops! and ya know, if the hairdresser told ya it be da truth!!!

She was the Seattle base manager already. She moved her office there this past fall.

Regardless the acft will not disappear until post SOC so they can absorb the ~150 pilots left across a larger fleet so as to minimize staffing impact....

Possible, but I very much doubt it. A displacement is a displacement, there is nothing to be gained by holding on to positions for aircraft that are losing money and being parked just to spread the displacements over a larger pool. It's still "x" amount of displacements. We're only talking about ~3% of the fNWA positions. That's not an overwhelming shock to the system, particularly when much of the impact of the displacements will probably be absorbed by moving the fNWA pilots to DAL manning formulas at a measured pace. A displacement bid will happen long before the aircraft are ultimately parked, there may be an advanced entitlement bid posted simultaneously to cover any increased staffing requirements due to the application of DAL manning requirements. Staffing impact solved.

Last edited:
A displacement bid will happen long before the aircraft are ultimately parked, there may be an advanced entitlement bid posted simultaneously to cover any increased staffing requirements due to the application of DAL manning requirements. Staffing impact solved.

True enough - I guess the question is when the acft are actually parked, which is still an open question and where the displacements are to and new positions are created.

My guess is few ANC pilots will follow the 742 to MSP (or other bases only to be displaced again when they are ultimately parked) and most will displace to SEA on the 330. If SEA then changes to primarily 76ER post SOC and the 330 goes to other bases, your minimal staffing impact goes out the window with multiple waterfall training cycles on a single pre-SOC displacement.

Factoring acft/base changes that there will be, it may well make more sense to wait post SOC......

Last edited:
Possible, but I very much doubt it. A displacement is a displacement, there is nothing to be gained by holding on to positions for aircraft that are losing money and being parked just to spread the displacements over a larger pool. It's still "x" amount of displacements. We're only talking about ~3% of the fNWA positions. That's not an overwhelming shock to the system, particularly when much of the impact of the displacements will probably be absorbed by moving the fNWA pilots to DAL manning formulas at a measured pace. A displacement bid will happen long before the aircraft are ultimately parked, there may be an advanced entitlement bid posted simultaneously to cover any increased staffing requirements due to the application of DAL manning requirements. Staffing impact solved.
You're talking about displacement bids and advance entitlement bids, etc...but when does the NWA APA system expire? I haven't taken the time to look it up and am not sure if that is a BP5 thing or not, but as it currently stands, DEC 2009 positions for NWA pilots will be determined on the APA that closes 8/05/09. If they are going to displace 747-200 pilots from ANC effective 12/09 it would have to be done on the August APA effective for December.

You're talking about displacement bids and advance entitlement bids, etc...but when does the NWA APA system expire? I haven't taken the time to look it up and am not sure if that is a BP5 thing or not, but as it currently stands, DEC 2009 positions for NWA pilots will be determined on the APA that closes 8/05/09. If they are going to displace 747-200 pilots from ANC effective 12/09 it would have to be done on the August APA effective for December.

Last NW APA is August 09.

Latest resources

Back