Delta Pilots don't check for frost on wings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

batsky2000

I just want to say thanks to the Delta Pilots on yesterday's Flight DL1954 DAB to ATL for making myself as well as 3/4 of the rest of the passengers miss their connections.

The flight was set to depart at 0600, but taxied out at 0630. We taxied to the runway, stopped short of taxing onto it when a passenger told a FA that they saw frost on the wing, the Captain came out putting on his hat and jacket with a flashlight to look outside through the window, after a couple more looks we taxied back and he made the decision to wait till the sun came out to heat the wings and melt the frost.

My question is don't you guys do walk arounds anymore? That should have been found before you taxi out of the ramp. Plus when we got back to the ramp, these idiots never even walked out to inspect for themselves, they just waited till the sun came out.

Just for future reference, HOT WATER works great when by 0630 the temp was well abouve freezing.

Even if the flight left by 0700, everyone would have made their connections, heck the Delta flight that was due to fly after us, took off first

I was going to SMF, since I missed that I had to fly to SFO and drive, thanks.

What a bunch of idiots, morons, etc................

Just for future reference, HOT WATER works great when by 0630 the temp was well abouve freezing.

Just for future reference, HOT WATER works great getting your ticket yanked if the procedure is not in the FAA approved flight manual.

That's why you wait until the sun comes up if you don't have deice fluid - which is not a hot commodity in Florida.

Gup

I can't speak for DL, but hot water is no longer an approved method to remove frost from the wings anymore, at least at WN. I'm sure that DAB doesn't have a way to deice Airplanes either. We've had this problem as well out in CA with cold soaked fuel frost and not having any way to remove it other than to wait for it to melt. It sounds like the crew did the only thing they could which was wait for the frost to melt. Sorry you missed your connecting flight.

Unlike your Geeeeeeeeeee, you can't see the top of the wing from the ground.

You beat me to it! The only Idiot, Moron, etc... is the original poster. More and more pax these days are becoming beligerent "Backseat" drivers. I would be willing to bet that this specific situation didn't go down exactly like you described it. More than likely the original poster missed his (or her) connection and is a little pi$$ed.

Solution: Stop booking 30 min connections at some of the largest & busiest airports in the world!!! Problem solved! Some of you people sound like my wife...

"why would we take this flight? We are going to have to sit for an hour and 15 mins in detroit when we could take flight "XYZ" and we only have to stay in Detroit for 25 mins"

I have ZERO sympathy for you!!!! Coming on here and blasting a professional flight crew for what sounds to me to be a very suspect senario only shows your ignorance! Do us all a favor and please fly Southwest Airlines next time! They do not get frost!

Do us all a favor and please fly Southwest Airlines next time! They do not get frost!

Nor do we do 1:15 turns or connections.

Get in, get off, get out.

Spend your time with your family or business, not at the dang airport.

Next,
Gup

FWIW, stations like DAB,VPS etc do not have de ice equipment. Waiting for the sun to melt the frost is sometimes all you have.

Also, many times when you do a walk around prior to sunrise there is no frost and low and behold at the time of push as the sun is cresting the horizon you will see a layer form on the top of the wing.

Just for future reference, HOT WATER works great getting your ticket yanked if the procedure is not in the FAA approved flight manual.

That's why you wait until the sun comes up if you don't have deice fluid - which is not a hot commodity in Florida.

Gup

Wow, note the time and date, I actually agree with Gup!
The origional poster is a doosh bag!
Oh yeah, Gup, all those things I said about you before.......I wish I could start all over and repeat them all!:laugh::laugh:

Latest resources

Back