• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Pilots don't check for frost on wings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Never really thought about it but a station that doesn't have a de-ice truck must certainly have access to the standard hot water sprayer. Oh wait, F/As on frosty wings with tea-pots: Yup, that's the ticket.

I don't recall the hot water technique when I was in.

I just want to say thanks to the Delta Pilots on yesterday's Flight DL1954 DAB to ATL for making myself as well as 3/4 of the rest of the passengers miss their connections.

The flight was set to depart at 0600, but taxied out at 0630. We taxied to the runway, stopped short of taxing onto it when a passenger told a FA that they saw frost on the wing, the Captain came out putting on his hat and jacket with a flashlight to look outside through the window, after a couple more looks we taxied back and he made the decision to wait till the sun came out to heat the wings and melt the frost.

My question is don't you guys do walk arounds anymore? That should have been found before you taxi out of the ramp. Plus when we got back to the ramp, these idiots never even walked out to inspect for themselves, they just waited till the sun came out.

Just for future reference, HOT WATER works great when by 0630 the temp was well abouve freezing.

Even if the flight left by 0700, everyone would have made their connections, heck the Delta flight that was due to fly after us, took off first

I was going to SMF, since I missed that I had to fly to SFO and drive, thanks.

What a bunch of idiots, morons, etc................

Bet you didn't want to open that can of wip a$$. Ouch!

I just want to say thanks to the Delta Pilots on yesterday's Flight DL1954 DAB to ATL for making myself as well as 3/4 of the rest of the passengers miss their connections.

The flight was set to depart at 0600, but taxied out at 0630. We taxied to the runway, stopped short of taxing onto it when a passenger told a FA that they saw frost on the wing, the Captain came out putting on his hat and jacket with a flashlight to look outside through the window, after a couple more looks we taxied back and he made the decision to wait till the sun came out to heat the wings and melt the frost.

My question is don't you guys do walk arounds anymore? That should have been found before you taxi out of the ramp. Plus when we got back to the ramp, these idiots never even walked out to inspect for themselves, they just waited till the sun came out.

Just for future reference, HOT WATER works great when by 0630 the temp was well abouve freezing.

Even if the flight left by 0700, everyone would have made their connections, heck the Delta flight that was due to fly after us, took off first

I was going to SMF, since I missed that I had to fly to SFO and drive, thanks.

What a bunch of idiots, morons, etc................

Hello to the KAL guys, I have an interview for a B737 PIC position in April through CCL and have a few questions about how the contract works to those who are in the know.

I am currently flying a BBJ, G-IV, and a Challenger for a private company that is shutting down their flight department like most of them here in the US. I have 1500 hours as a PIC on the BBJ. I was laid off from Delta way back in 2001 and have not been interested in working for an airline again, but the KAL contarct is rather appealing to me. I would get more time off than I get now, and I enjoy flying in Asia, and have experience in that part of the world.

1) What is the schedule like while you are on duty? Is it 6 on 1 off or something else? How are the schedules built? Do you get a reserve line for a bit, or do you get a real line right off the bat?

2) I plan to take the 11 days off option, how many days do they give you to commute? I will be using ATL as my base, and heard that you get 3 days, 2 to travel to work, a 1 to get home, but just want to get the real number from someone who knows.

3) I understand that they put you up at the Hyatt while at base, what types of ammenities do they offer if any? Do you guys get free breakfast, free internet? The Internet would be the best freebe

4) Does the company issue a cell phone for company use, or do you need to get one yourself? How do they normally contact you?

5) Who pays for the business class tickets? Does the cotractor (CCL) in my case pay for the ticket, or does KAL put you on a positive space business class ticket to/from your base? I ask this because I am interested if you guys collect FF miles, I am platinum medalion on Delta with about 900,000 miles in my account and am just wondering since KAL is a skyteam member. This would be a huge bonus to this contract, if not are there ways to get the miles?

Thanks for the answers in advance

FYI Delta guys (or ALPA):
Publicly posted info makes identity of slanderers very simple these days.

Had the same deal happen to me in DAB about 5 years ago... Went back to look at it. The frost was from the fueling and just in a little area... Was going to blow it off, but the guy the reporting it was a private pilot and I didn't want the headache,"not worth taking the time to reassure everyone" + I was on the clock...

CAL SUCKS!

When I used to work for CAL in Daytona Beach in 2003, we did not have deicing equipment, but Delta did have it there. Unfortunately they wouldn't let us use their deicing machinery and we had to wait 3 hours for frost to melt off the wings one day. Delta must have gotten rid of their equipment since then.

Also, many times when you do a walk around prior to sunrise there is no frost and low and behold at the time of push as the sun is cresting the horizon you will see a layer form on the top of the wing.

Bingo!

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Great second guessing there by the originial poster. Wouldn't you just love to be sitting by this guy for 12+ hours as his copilot?

Great Detective work VOICE!!! Thanks!

This guy's an idiot twice over.....

Here's more... see if you can figure out who the idiot is (I just LEFT clicked on his name to the left of his posts, and "find more posts by):
He also posts about working for XO Jet, etc...
who knows seems to have worked everywhere....or a pathological liar with a grudge against DL . Combine my last post (laid off DL in 2001 and not back), etc with:
***EDIT: BATSKY2000 is CLEARLY a TROLL. Please see the following (just a few of many tall tales and flamebait in addition to the op on this thread) to ban him:****

Well you can do what ever you want!!All my badge says is AIRCREW in big letters on the front and nothing on the back, in fact the last airline that I worked for, that badge did not say FAA or the airport name either, so your point is mute. I refuse to have to check my bag, since I have never had to in the past except right after 9/11, and when I did that 1 time, it was rolled over by a baggage cart, it took a year and lots of phone calls to get Delta to pay for the damage, so if the TSA tells me that I can take what I take now on board as long as I am in Uniform, and the Directive that I have in my hands states nothing about 121 air carriers then I will continue to travel through the crew lines and carry what I have been before this mumbo jumbo, I have no idea where you work or where your company got its info from but I have a copy of the directive in front of me and like some others, I have had no problem airlining as usual, my company,NJ has stated just the opposite of yours, if wearing a uniform gets you through security better then wear it, that is what they told us to do. But if you want to be a goody good boy, then follow what you have been told, your company management are not the ones that have to commute and deal with all of the crap that we do, so I will do what ever makes my life and week easier.

Wolfpack,
Just to give you a perspective of what is out there, I recently left for similar reasons to yours. I found a job not as a G450/550 pilot, but wish it was a G450/550. What I got was a job as a Global Express Captain, one of 4, with a company that was going to pay for my move, but told me that based on the fact that I live within 2 hours from them that I also had the choice to stay and drive. I decided to stay and drive and be paid for miles driven. Also, I get a guaranteed 10 days off per month on top of any other days off, all trips are Part 91 no charter, scheduled weeks in advance, and all of the trips are up and down the east coast,europe, and the Mediterranean, and any trip over 2 weeks long I have the option of comming home and swapping with another crew.
I can tell you this, I do not regret leaving at all, I am enjoying my new job much more so than NJI, but will say that NJI/NJA is a great operation as well.

What a dump of a place, glad I left 4 years ago.
ABOVE post 9-7-2007 (Re: *Flops(***SEE CLARIFICATION NEXT ENTRY)...so would have left Flops about 2003, which means was laid off from DL in 2001 went to Flops then elsewhere in corp since, not (yet) returning to Delta

I guess everyone can read except DEP, I was original Travel Air, and left last year, I guess that should clear things up, and even if you don't agree with me DEP, the majority would, he made Options into a place that is as good as a reginal airline, nothing more, I was not the only one who left or who are leaving, crappy hotels from good ones, less crew meals, crapy pay scale, still, poor maint., still poor support from management, the list keeps growing from what I hear from friends still there.
Above post 11-5-2004...indicates was NOT really FLOPS, but *Raytheon Travel Air prior to the merger of both

In all my years as a check airman, I have never seen soo much bable on such a non event subject....

Not Much, Being that I came from the military myself and left 13 years ago, we had similar types in the actve military as well
above post 8-3-2005

Good luck getting on with us, it is great here, but I decided not to move from FL to Denver, I commute from Orlando, and find it no big deal, I will be a commuter for life, and love it, but good luck, and enjoy Denver
above post 9-5-2004 re FRONTIER

This was a pleasant conversation till you joined the foray, Look, to each their own,I worked for United, was furloughed, turned them down when they called me back, and this was not my first furlough, when has Netjets or for that matter any Frac furloughed? NEVER!! (edit: LOL) I said that I have been on both sides and prefer Frac way better, I turned down a chance at SouthWest for NJI, and if you want to see why read the above post, you bring up that 7 days is hard, what are you smoking, I guess you never sat Reserve at an airline, I did for over a year, that really sucked and i commuted, my commute required 2 hops unless I wanted to drive an hour away to catch a 1 hop, plus I was not willing to move, so I did the commute till it got old, but you are calling us that do a 7/7 slaves? are you serious? I get 7 days at home, that allows me time to do many other things that I would not be able to do if I only had 3 or 4 days off, and the company does not call me to try to junior assign me either, and when I take a week of vacation, I have 21 days off in a row, do you? and I have 2 weeks per year till my 5 year mark and then I get 3, with just the 2 weeks and training twice per year, I work about 4 months in the year, how about you? And you think that our job is that much harder? one tour I spent in Europe and flew 4 legs the whole 7 days, another tour I airlined to Hawaii, and flew to Sydney, and spent 5 days there till I airlined home, and I can keep going, how about your boring tours? I work half as much as I did when I worked for the airlines, and I have time to enjoy myself when I am on the road, I look at each tour like a vacation

You are a sad person to think that we are like animals when you should look at how you treat your customers and how we treat ours, your customers stand in a security line for an hour, march on board like cattle, and get fed scraps if they are lucky, our customers bypass all of that hassle, I would rather be a Limo driver than a cabbie or greyhound bus driver

I have a bunch of friends at various airlines that bug me all of the time about trying to get them here, they are not furloughed and would rather leave than stay where they are, in fact one friend is at JetBlue, he has been there for 2 years and does not enjoy it, so I guess there are plenty of animals who would rather fly here on a 7/7 schedule, go figure

And by the way, My life and my families life improved 100% when i joined NJI, versus flying for the airlines

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT NEXT TIME ANIMAL!!!

7-22-2006: PHXFLYR is right, I work for NetJets and our company purchases our tickets for us to go to work and to get home. I usually wear my uniform just because I might get stuck with a trip on my way to work and this way I don't have to change, but for all practical purposes most of us are gold,platinum,etc. members in FF programs due to the amount of flying we do. I always get the eye from the pilots when I get off, I have even had one Capt. pull me aside after I got off and whale at me for not checking in with him, after he was done, I told him he should get his facts staright before he just go's off at people, me showing my full "Y" fare ticket shut him up fast, I have even had FA's tell me that they will serve me last after everyone else gets their food, I told her NO, I will take my food now, I have even received the evil eye from customers walking past me wondering why I got a 1st class seat and them not knowing that I am a Delta Platinum member and had priority over them, they just assumed that I was a free loading non-rev and don't deserve the 1st class seat

In other words, don't assume that the guy in the pilots suit in the back is a non-rev, you may make an A** out of yourself!!!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back