• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Superpilot92

LONGCALL KING
Gentlemen,

I am hearing more and more talk about this and I am wondering what everyones thoughts are. I am by no means an alpa hater but I to have come to realize that alpa has lost it's focus. They can't represent the mainline pilots and the regional pilots best interests at the same time unless we're all on one list. For instance if alpa fights for scope protection for mainline pilots then they would be misrepresenting the regional pilots.

Alpa is a good team in your corner if they actually act like a union and not a business. Unfortunatly that's not the case anymore. We have sat back and watched our industry get torn down long enough. AA has APA and their interests are soley on their pilot group and what they have control over. By doing so they have maintained the highest rates while keeping their pensions and protecting their scope With 12000+ pilots now at DAL we would have one hell of a union if it was in House.

Again, alpa as an organization isn't really the problem but they have their hands in to many cookie jars to represent the delta pilot group effectively. Prime example is that scope keeps getting sold down the river over and over again. Alpa evidently doesn't mind it because they will just get their dues via a trickle down as more jobs get outsourced to the regionals. Most regional pilots want scope protected just as much as we do because it protects their eventual long term goals as well.

A large pilot group of our size can make real changes if we have the right representation. Be it DPA or alpa I don't care but alpas track record over the past decade tells me they have lost focus. When alpa starts putting out the message that scope relief isn't an option any longer to mgmt and the pilots we will know they are serious about protecting our careers,upgrades,career earnings,schedules,and futures. I hope they can make that happen but so far this "taking it back" campaign has failed to produce results!

Our new pilot group is a strong group that deserves to be properly represented.

Discuss!! :beer:

Fact is that DALPA is ALPA. I think that a change of focus here may achieve what you want.

It's not about what you or I want though, it's about what WE want. I don't think a single delta pilot, senior or junior wants to see their jobs or careers outsourced, especially without a knock down dragging fight!! I would love to see alpa do this but currently we haven't seen this from alpa or even seen them declare this. It gets rolled over on every time. For instance, we got a "no furlough" clause out of mgmt violating our contract. :cool: a real no furlough clause is to stop outsourcing jobs. Again it's not just junior guys effected either, it's the guys previously furloughed, down graded, or loss of pensions. After all the company had to pay for the rjs with all that money.

I truly hope the focus can be shifted and that is the point of my post. Email your reps!

If we de-certify ALPA, the whole organization will crumble. I'm fine with that. It has been a self-serving organization for profit for too long now.

Last edited:
Never happen

The problem with what you suggest is the shear number of pilots on the combined list with 10 years or more seniority.

Your problem is not theirs. To these guys scope is about number 10 on a list of 10... importance wise.

Quality of life issues are probably the top five, then pay and so on.

Junior guys get the shaft in this biz...always have always will.

Nature of the beast...

The problem with what you suggest is the shear number of pilots on the combined list with 10 years or more seniority.

Your problem is not theirs. To these guys scope is about number 10 on a list of 10... importance wise.

Nature of the beast...
Just wait until mgmt pulls what ual did and outsources widebody flying to air France! Then maybe they will care. The problem is, by that time it's to late to pull heads out of ass's. This isn't just a junior guy issue and anyone who can see past their own nose would see that.

Nature of the beast...

Count this 12 yr+ pilot as having scope #1 priority.
That being said, I think that the latest uproar is blown out of proportion. I certainly do not like it either, but feel that the fownside of a loss in arbitration was unacceptable as a risk.

Count me also in as one who does not want to bring Compass, Comair, Mesaba on the list. My hugely scientific poll, meaning asking my f/os from these places, indicates that there is still a large gap in wage, quality of life, and retirement that needs to be closed prior to hauling everyone on board and then closing the gap with my negotiating captial.

Thatbeing said, I am all in favor of bringing in 70 seat scope in C12K and striking over it.

Thoughts from a middle guy.

Where do I sign up. ........Alpa blows period.

I'll pay double to get rid of these clowns.

Alpa should have united pilots across this country.........instead we all fight our own battles against each other.

Last edited:
I don't think National is fixable. I also have no illusions about an in-house being a panacea for fixing all that ails ALPA. I do think, like APA, a large, strong in house union will better serve the interests of DAL pilots.

Would fixing National be easier than starting an in-house? Don't know - there is just too much inertia, intransigence, and career featherbedding there. We would have career union guys at an in-house in well, but at least they'd all be fN and fD.

Initially we might see a lot of familiar faces, but I like the idea of it all being focused on DAL. The one size fit's all approach is not working, and all the small fry joining ALPA are definitely diluting the careers of the mainline.

Right now ALPA is like NAFTA.....

How about a nationwide standard for 70/76 and 50 seat pay. No contract signed without meeting that agreement.

Once ALL the regionals are one list, then address scope to staple the regionals to the bottom of mainline lists. Regionals are combined "Date of hire", then put on the bottom of mainline lists.

Being a "third generation airline pilot", I back my mainline partners 100 percent- I didn't want to, nor do I want, to stay at a regional as a career. However, to get everyone working together, there should be no double standard between mainline and regional- An airline pilot is an airline pilot. All jet's go mainline, all turboprops go regional. Truthfully, I'd like to see the turboprops go mainline as well.

Latest resources

Back