• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Pilots Association - DPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The problem with what you suggest is the shear number of pilots on the combined list with 10 years or more seniority.

Your problem is not theirs. To these guys scope is about number 10 on a list of 10... importance wise.

Quality of life issues are probably the top five, then pay and so on.

Junior guys get the shaft in this biz...always have always will.

Nature of the beast...
Uh, excuse me but I would love to get rid of ALPA and the self serving trip drop, management birthday bash attending country club and put people in the union who care about the pilots, scope, pay rates, pension, sick leave, medical, etc. I have 19 years, sign me up!

I'm starting to feel the same way. Why subsidize all these regional airlines in ALPA with negotiating capital whose sole purpose of existence is to erode mainline careers?

The AA and SWA pilots seem to do okay on their own so no doubt 12,400 DAL pilots could.

I'm starting to feel the same way. Why subsidize all these regional airlines in ALPA with negotiating capital whose sole purpose of existence is to erode mainline careers?

The AA and SWA pilots seem to do okay on their own so no doubt 12,400 DAL pilots could.

Very well said.

When you hear all the "reasonable'' RJ guys talk about a "solution" that works for "everyone", if not allowing bigger aircraft, it involves a compromise whereby we all "give up a little" so they can get something other than a staple.

So what did they give up? As if Capt in an RJ is the equivalent of Capt in a mainline in terms of career expectations and experience? Nor is it the equivalent of a mainline F/O - your Feeder experience IS worth something - getting you an interview and a bottom of the list number at a mainline if you are lucky. Even a staple is a windfall as many who might not have been hired otherwise now have a mainline number.

If you spent 12 yrs at a feeder it was personal *choice* or a deficiency that prevented you from being hired at a mainline - neither of which is ALPA's nor mainlines pilots job to rectify.

The hell with Herndon....

Last edited:
The logic of wanting to switching unions at DAL is like a McDonalds customer complaining that the food is making him fat only to look at Burger King for "change"!

I doubt they would be doing as well as they are were it not for ALPA. The contributions ALPA has made to our profession are immense.
The Allied pilots are responsible for the introduction of the B-Scale to our industry. You could also argue that the erosion of work rules and retirement is part of the "Southwest effect". We all know what a joke USAPA has been.
All the anti ALPA people all seem way more focused on their own personal situation with little regard for the industry as a whole.

The logic of wanting to switching unions at DAL is like a McDonalds customer complaining that the food is making him fat only to look at Burger King for "change"!

I prefer the analogy of getting ill from too much processed foods. A home grown union might be as good for us as home grown produce - we get to control what we are fed...... Of course I expect Regional pilots to defend ALPA - your best bet is to tear down the mainlines from within via soft serve DFR arguments. You know YOU are toast without ALPA. Not so AA, DAL, UPS, SWA, etc.

Very well said.

When you hear all the "reasonable" RJ guys talk about a "solution" that works for everyone, if not allowing bigger aircraft it involves a compromise whereby we all "give up a little" so they can get something other than a staple. So what did they give up? As if Capt in an RJ is the equivalent of Capt in a mainline in terms of career expectations and experience?

The hell with Herndon....

I have to plead total ignorance on the whole RJ deal. My airline doesn't have any express carriers.
That said, I don't get it. The regionals exist because their mainline partner wants the feed from routes too slim to justify mainline aircraft.
Seems like it should have been a win win deal. More jobs created for regional pilots and more feed for mainline to grow.
Now it seems regional pilots are fighting for "their share"? They exist because of the their mainline partner. Why would a regional pilot feel entitled to a seniority number with the mainline airline? What's wrong with a mainline carrier protecting any flying it could do. It doesn't "belong" to a regional.
I flew for an Allegheny Commuter in the 70's and early 80's. I sure couldn't imagine thinking USAir owed me a job. We existed because of USAir, but I sure wouldn't have expected to just bypass their hiring process into a mainline job and I can't imagine thinking I should bypass in seniority someone who allready works there.

Of course I expect Regional pilots to defend ALPA - your best bet is to tear down the mainlines from within via soft serve DFR arguments. You know YOU are toast without ALPA. Not so AA, DAL, UPS, SWA, etc.

He doesn't work at a regional.

Why don't you guys start with something easy and obvious like GET RID OF MOAK...then see how it goes from there. Get someone strong and LEGITMATE in that position!

Latest resources

Back