Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta mainline back to Juneau? Looks like it in late May...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nice try General! Even Delta couldn't strong arm HA in the Hawaii market. We are not a big player in the big scheme of the industry, but we are in Hawaii. :)

No, I mean DL COULD offer their best customers IN SEA more choice for leisure travel, to the other islands from SEA. NWA used to fly 757-300s from SEA to OGG and Kona (Kona was sorta a fuel stop and longer runway on way back to SEA with a full plane), but that stopped after the merger. DL also flew PDX to HNL. Maybe that would be good for DL's "best customers..." (And leisure pax too of course)

Building up a hub should have flights for everybody, and reward business travelers too. Just a guess... ;)

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Very rare to fly only 70 people to SAN from SEA. Planes are usually 90% full. There's enough business to go around! Maybe when Delta seasons the route with an RJ then puts a 717 or 737 it will work better. It's just going to be tough to not operate in the red with your costs.

I don't know the loads out there so good info....and what you said about the upgaging of the equipment makes sense but if only 70 seats are up for sale (read:capacity control) and then jump on a widebody overseas, that's the purpose of the feed and trying fill a few empty seats becomes the gravy on top...the purpose might not be to steal pax while trying to fill a 737.

Our costs can be spread out over the network, but to be clear, I am not defending the RJs....just putting my change for a nickel on why they are doing it. If I was king for the day, I would have mainline doing it, no doubt.

Nice try General! Even Delta couldn't strong arm HA in the Hawaii market. We are not a big player in the big scheme of the industry, but we are in Hawaii. :)

Btw Dan, your post seems a bit defensive. I don't think anyone is challenging the fact that you guys do a great job and are the market leader to Hawaii overall. But, maybe there could be more CHOICE given to pax in a couple markets, that we're there before anyway..... You never know...

Bye Bye---General Lee

Notice that was a hedge fund manager trying to make a case for it, and I wonder if he owns any stock?

And read this gem: hilarious...

Acquirers ?like to find those bargain kind of companies that are profitable,? David James, director of research at Alpha, Ohio-based James Investment, said in a phone interview. ?I could see one of the bigger ones looking to take them over. It?s got a really good niche market within Alaska and then some other key parts within the continental United States and Canada.?
James Investment oversees about $4.8 billion, including shares of Seattle-based Alaska.

"I can see one of the BIGGER ONES.... Looking to take them over...."

Wow, that was amazing....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Barrons

December 23, 2013 11:25 AM ET
Delta Air Lines and Alaska Air Merger: Not Going to Happen
By Ben Levisoh

Last week, rumors, or should I say ?speculation,? emerged that Delta Air Lines (DAL) was considering a play for Alaska Air (ALK), another in a long line of mergers that we thought had culminated with the American Airlines (AAL)/U.S. Airways combination.

AP
Cowen?s Helane Becker and Conor Cunningham tell investors not to get their hopes up for a Delta Air Lines play on Alaska Air.

Alaska Air Group shares were up 4.1% Friday following a Bloomberg article discussing the idea that the company was a likely merger candidate for a major US airline. Delta was specifically mentioned as a likely buyer because the airline is building out Seattle as an international hub and needs feeder traffic to support its growing presence in the market. Delta will have more than 2500 international seats per day to 25 destinations on 79 peak day departures from Seattle starting next summer. There are five flights to Asia and three to Europe. Alaska Air is Delta?s code-share partner, but given the fact that Alaska has code-share agreements with other airlines and flies 90%+ full in the summer, there is limited capacity for Delta?s passengers. In addition, Delta is trying to change traveler behavior, to encourage flying through Seattle rather than through Vancouver, Los Angeles or San Francisco.
And regulatory approval? Not going to happen, Becker and Cunningham say.

They write:

We believe any transaction involving Delta Air Lines is sure to be heavily scrutinized by the regulators. Given the difficulty which the American Airlines / US Airways merger had, we seriously doubt the Department of Justice would approve an acquisition of Alaska Airlines, especially given the route overlap. Delta recently announced seasonal service to Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau and Alaska announced new service from Salt Lake City to Boise, San Francisco and Las Vegas. Earlier this week Alaska announced Anchorage-Las Vegas and Anchorage-Phoenix service.

It seems like the market agrees today. Shares of Delta Air Lines have gained 0.3% to $27.64, while Alaska Air has dropped 2.3% to $71.78. American Airlines is down 0.5%

Bye Bye---General Lee

Say what you want about GL CP, but then you throw chum in the water like the puke you spewed above and not expect a comment?

(Gasp) weather? Oh jeeze, now you are scaring me.....only the mighty Eskimo can brave the perils of the Alaskan bush. Please Mr. Weatherman, say it ain't so....we Delta Bubbas only know JOOOL-lie thunderstorms and name all our planes JENNay!

Thanks for the big scare, we'll probably go there anyway....

It isn't that "DAL guys can't fly in weather or near mountains", it's "DAL guys are going to find out why Alaska spent so much time and money building an approach much, much better than the best available standard approach in Juneau".

It isn't that "DAL guys can't fly in weather or near mountains", it's "DAL guys are going to find out why Alaska spent so much time and money building an approach much, much better than the best available standard approach in Juneau".

So, Summertime weather in JNU is that bad, huh? Really? I bet the Winter can be nasty, but late May to early Oct? Come on now....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Plenty of nice days up there for sure, but also plenty of days that don't get to the 1000-2 needed for the best available non-RNP approach.

Latest resources

Back