• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Complete Incompetence!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was listening to a NY sports radio station today and one reporter was trying to get to FL for spring training and was blasting JB. On a sports talk show!! I guess he got bumped and was told he be on the next flight but he got bumped again. He was so pissed he couldn't concentrate on talking about baseball. He just went on and on how JB sucked. At the same time a friend of my called trying to get to IAD and sat for 2+ hours in FL because there were no flight attendants available to work.

Sounds like JB is cutting to many corners and is starting to crash and burn.

aircraft reported to be without power and air ventilation? The still pictures shown on the news clearly show no electrical power and the hatches opened for ventilation.
BBB

Got a linky to those pictures, the ones I saw on Yahoo had both lights and TV's, hence the APU must have been working on at least that jet!

Unless anyone talks to the crew to see the reason for how they handled the situation, guessing is mute..Of course, from a pilots (Capt) view, it does sound retarded. Normally opening the doors for ventilation seems like a valid thing to do, but wasn't a freezing storm causing all the problems in NYC? Since when did a capt lose his authority to take care of his passengers, in the air OR on the ground?

Well, if you are not familiar with the listed incidences, then you are spouting about issues your are clearly not knowledgeable enough to discuss, nor does you continual union rant hold any water. (Not that I am against unions, just your silly rhetoric) You may well think, based upon your impeccable skillset, that this industry is replete with incompetent captains, that is your judgement, so be it, but I am sure there are many that would argue that point with you.

As for the "dead" airplane issue, I have yet to hear anything about that, that is other than from unreliable news account. APU's are installed om most modern jets, so I am sure you have heard about them, if not, they supply electricity and conditioned air on the ground. Would have been certain they had those at UPS, but what do I know.

Not once did I dismiss the argument, that it was unacceptable to hold people on airplanes that long. I found it to be a sad lack of customer service. What I did take offense at, was the potshot at the jetblue pilots and your silly union rhetoric. Union or not, if there is no way to get the people of the airplane, then there is no way to alleviate the situation. I have little doubt that those in the pointy end wanted to get off the a/c just as bad and that they were pleading with ops for just that.

Maybe take a lesson from Bill O, blame management for the foul up, not some hapless pilot who just got caught in the shat!

Your whole silly diatribe reminds me of the comedy skit where 2 people are on an escalator that stops and they scream for help. Worst case.... HELLO MCFLY... get busses to transport the passengers from the stranded aircraft to the terminal. Are you suggesting this was a COMPLETE IMPOSSIBILITY in less than 11 HOURS?

The news reports (every single one that I've heard) ALL REPORTED that there was no electrical power or ventilation on the aircraft. I assumed it was because the pilots were fearful of burning Dave's fuel (only rational explanation!). If that is not the case, and the pilots simply CHOSE not to power or ventilate the aircraft for 11 HOURS then they are bigger morons than I previously thought (hard to imagine).

I love how people attempt to portray an 11-hour hostage situation on a dead aircraft as anything other than what it was... utter lunacy! (Remember, these passengers were all of 100 yards from the terminal!)

BBB

I was poking fun at your reiteration of the reiteration of what happened. Dude. They F'ed up. There is no chance in he!! that I would have done that to my passengers, nor would most of us.

Do you fly people? I just got my arse chewed last night by a lady whose flight to PVD was cancelled because of weather and delays. She was rebooked but wanted somebodys ear to bend because it was quite obviously the fault of Southwest and we stranded her. Of all the nerve of US to cause the weather and insuing chaos. Right? Of course not. Veteran fliers know that sh!t happens. They roll with it as long as you, as a company and as a crewmember, keep them informed and attempt to alleviate their pain. It's the amateurs that complain the loudest stomping around the terminal because their flight is delayed 2 hours. They could care less that there is a level 5 that rolled over the field causing the inbound flight to divert to XYZ to refuel.

BTW. Since you obviously missed my good fun jab at you I'll spell it out for you. You have mentioned the same thing in 7 previous posts. We get it. We agree with you. It should have been handled better. It was yesterday. If an attempt is made to remedy a bad situation and learn from mistakes at what point to you call off the dogs? Never?

Gup

My sentiments EXACTLY! Somehow, among all the job paranoia and thoughts of saving fuel what's been lost is the HUMANITY in this crappy situation! No way would I hang tight, pee in my water bottle, sweat a liter an hour in a hot, humid, sticky, disgusting aluminum tube because the 26 yr old Captain was scared for his job should he assert himself and act responsibly like an ORDINARY captain would!

BBB

I am going to come to your HOUSE and TAKE AWAY your SHIFT and CAPS LOCK keys.

If an attempt is made to remedy a bad situation and learn from mistakes at what point to you call off the dogs? Never?

Gup

Let me spell it out for you Gup... apparently none of you passenger airlines are remedying anything... which is why you'll very shortly see Congress intervene in the form of a passenger bill of rights. The very fact Congress HAS TO INTERVENE should make it OBVIOUS to the most casual observer that you all have screwed up! So much so that a parent figure (Congress) is FORCED to intervene because you have FAILED to police your own. If you're proud that you FAILED to act appropriately as an industry and now are forced to bow to congress because of your FAILURE, and you have no problem with that, then that's where we part company.

BBB

Was it a complete shock that there was a winter storm? Was there no way to anticipate that planes were loading up only to sit on the taxiway. Global warming is coming, sure, but we all know that part of global warming is huge ice storms.

Is it inconcievable to think that someone somewhere in airline management might have some kind of plan for rescuing trapped passengers other than just letting them sit?

I don't blame the pilots, but isn't the kind of day that earns management their bonuses?

Airline apologizes after passengers stranded on planes for hours in NYC

Updated 2/15/2007 11:56 AM ETNEW YORK (AP)

JetBlue Airways Corp. tried to calm a maelstrom of criticism Thursday, after passengers were left waiting on planes at a New York airport for as long as nine hours during a snow and ice storm.
The airline said 10 incoming and outbound flights at John F. Kennedy International Airport were "significantly delayed" with customers on board during Wednesday's storm. Reasons included congestion, frozen equipment and an effort to keep planes ready to go in case the weather broke, said JetBlue spokesman Bryan Baldwin.

Calling the delays "unacceptable," the airline planned to offer the affected passengers refunds and free flights.

To Cheryl Chesner, 26, "unacceptable" was hardly the word for the 11 hours she said she and her husband, Seth, 27, spent trying to take a JetBlue flight to Aruba for their honeymoon.

"It was the worst. It was horrific," she said. Baldwin said the Aruba flight, scheduled to leave at about 8 a.m. Wednesday, ultimately left late Wednesday night. But the Chesners went home to the Bronx.

While they waited to take off, John Farrell waited to arrive. His JetBlue flight from Fort Myers, Fla., landed at 10 a.m., but passengers didn't get off until nearly 7 p.m., he said.

"You gotta realize the frustration — you can look out the window and you can see, there's the gate, and if you let us off the plane, we can walk there," said Farrell, 48, of Brooklyn.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back