Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Coming up on 94 hours of Standby for the Month.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ah, the old "a few guys defecate in their trousers so we all have to wear diapers now" routine.:nuts:

I guess the alternative would be to get a list together of the guys that just "don't seem to get it" and tape it to the cubical wall with the title..."NO HOTEL SHOWS"

That way every pilot that walks through the SOC has the opportunity to see that 'management' is "discriminating" against certain individuals...that ought to go over real well with the Union. :erm:

Or just punish the guys specifically that screw up. Not the whole company.

Just like we know which FM's are a holes and hang up and redial till we get the right one..... Remember the Tagni days?

Or just punish the guys specifically that screw up. Not the whole company.

Just like we know which FM's are a holes and hang up and redial till we get the right one..... Remember the Tagni days?

You know....sometimes it actually isn't the crew members fault that it takes several hours. There could be honest hotel issues, transportation issues etc that prevent the crew member from arriving within the allotted time frame.

....and contrary to popular belief, we understand that. So, it's hard to "punish" (don't know if that is the correct terminology) those crewmembers because of a vendor/3rd party errors. Thus, it's just easier to accomodate the owner if we get the good crew/good airplane to be at the airport when legal.

Or, it could be that I'm just talking out of my a$$ because I don't work in that department. It's all speculation on my part. Who know's....maybe you're correct with the availability matrix that your claiming.

And yes, I remember the Togni days. Believe it or not...he busted his butt and had a great work ethic. His social skills needed a little work....but his intentions were good.

Actually I didn't mind togni. You knew that when you called him although he was gruff whatever you said to him was going to get done to a T.

People just needed to get thicker skin when dealing with him. Bunch of bitchy pilots. :)

I find it amazing that the same company has two different approaches to crew stby.

"Abused" Now that's funny!!:laugh:

Yes, most of these FBO's certainly are similar to the dungeons used during the inquisition.

I'm sitting standby right now. These cushy chairs are too plush. I keep sinking comfortably into them, which makes it hard to get up when I need to. And when it's reclined?! Forgedabouddit!!

And these bigs screen, flat-panel TV's with the gazillion channels to choose from, well, how's a person supposed to choose what to watch? And really, it's hard to see the whole screen at once when they're that big! Bastards!

I don't even want to talk about the crew food I 'have' to eat when on standby at the FBO! I mean, come on!! I run all those miles to stay in shape, and then the company throws free food at me! This kind of abuse MUST STOP!!! Or we'll all be suffering from normal blood-sugar levels sooner than we want to.

And the computers and free wi-fi provided for our 'conevenience'? Who do they thing they're kidding!! You put a computer with internet in front of ANY pilot, and it's practically manadatory that he'll be typing his way to carpal tunnel before you can say 'overtime'. OSHA!! I want OSHA!!!

And worst of all, should the company actually need us to fly, our response time will be at least an hour quicker than if we were at the hotel. Know what that means? Client expectations will be WAY TOO HIGH!!! I can't believe they'd allow this to happen!!

And all this for only a six figure salary every year?! How dare they!!!

People, THE ABUSE MUST STOP!!!!

We MUST be allowed to listen to the maid in the next room with the vacuum cleaner! We MUST be allowed to remain in a RECLINED position on a BED! We MUST be allowed to buy our own meals! Heck, we simply MUST be allowed to make our own schedules and run things the way WE SEE FIT!!!

Fight for your rights!! Or soon you too may find yourself being ABUSED like us Netjets pilots!!!

Last edited:
You make some good points realityman, but not all FBO's are as you describe - ever sat standby at ACK or JFK?

The other issue is that - now this may come as a shock to those who know me - but I don't look my best when I greet an owner after sitting for 6+ hours in a lazy boy. At least if I'm on standby at the hotel I can come to the plane rested, shaven, and with a fresh shirt on!

Having said that I've volunteered to go to the FBO to save having to pay for another night charge at the hotel.

And it was at ACK! Company wanted us to show at 1400. Check out time was 1100. Hotel wanted another $350 per pilot to stay an additional 3 hours. We showed early. I try and work with the schedulers if I can see a better way of doing things . I just get the impression that they often won't work with me.

Well I guess we found "I never get fatigued." guy.

Let me know what the FBO ahem port authority new york new jersey is at JFK.

Good luck with doing that for 5 days.

I use to do about 432 hours a month on a 25 minute call out. :laugh:

Well I guess we found "I never get fatigued." guy.

Let me know what the FBO ahem port authority new york new jersey is at JFK.

Good luck with doing that for 5 days.

Actually, I fatigue out plenty. And I don't know ANYONE who has been stuck doing standby at JFK for more than a day, let alone 5. If it happens to you, then I'd be tracking down the person in scheduling whose cereal you pissed in and apologize!

I agree, there are some FBO's that aren't the most comfortable around. It's true.

But MOST offer all the amenities you would find at the hotel, and then some.

When I know that the FBO at a certain location is pure crap I can usually work with the company to get at least some hotel show before heading to the airport.

Usually, though, I just do what they want because, again, most FBO's offer a comfortable way to pass the time.

reality man.. i cant believe I agree with you!!!

I think that people that have been at NJ for a while dont understand the state of the aviation industry and therefore do not appreciate what they have here...

If they want you to sit stanby in an FBO for 12 hours.. then for christ sake make the best of it, collect your pay check and go home!

Latest resources

Back